Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood - Rd 5, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot about Jamie Cripps.
His ground ball fumbling is really hurting us, he is not clean.

Touche ........... Jamie Cripps ....... AKA ....... Captain Fumbles.

I suspect the pace of the game has passed him by.

It's getting to the point whereby I would rather develop Winder than persist with the fumble merchant.

+ Witherden great first game
+ Redden linked up well
+ Darling and Allen were huge
+ Duggan (maybe Cole a couple times as well) when in traffic he held on to the ball and showed poise to get it downfield, which was really noticeable when a lot of others would just handball their team mates under pressure
+ Brander thought he had a great game, a lot more confident with his kicking, less mistakes
+ Sheed those 3 goals

- Cripps that kick that resulted in Sheed's third goal was meant for Kelly, nearly stuffed up a gimme goal by miskicking it.
- Xon quiet, will be dropped when mids come back in
- Langdon not afl quality

Banked 4 points early in the season in the face of injuries to senior players, where everyone who played s**t last week gave a good account of themself tonight.

Sure we wouldn't win the flag with that performance tonight or with the guys we had on the park but I doubt that's the plan anyway. The guys there did us proud and got the win. 10 goal win would have been nice but I'm happily taking that result.

Touche ........... Jamie Cripps ....... AKA ....... Captain Fumbles.

I suspect the pace of the game has passed him by.

It's getting to the point whereby I would rather develop Winder than persist with the fumble merchant.
He’s been captain fumbles his entire career. Now that he’s not kicking many goals and we’ve lost our good crumbers, it’s just exacerbating it.

he does a lot right but when we lack ground ball winners, you can’t afford your small forwards to be your worst offenders

+

Win!
Allen..Oscar Allen
Witherden...Hello Sir!
Sheed
Duggan/Redden
Brander
Nice pivot out of the 1 quarter weeds
Tackling

-

Vardy is a ghost
Too much fumbling

He’s been captain fumbles his entire career. Now that he’s not kicking many goals and we’ve lost our good crumbers, it’s just exacerbating it.

he does a lot right but when we lack ground ball winners, you can’t afford your small forwards to be your worst offenders

In all seriousness I would be hard pressed to recall a small/mid sized player who is as fumbly below his knees.

He has just never been a one touch player

Man is it weird to not be able to watch the game for - reasons - and then post on a footy forum about not being able to watch the game.

Maybe try reading a book next time. :shrug:

Good game Eagles, can't fault the effort. Really cracked in, Redden and Duggo huge, lot of contributors. Last quarter fade-outs are troubling, but with that team on the park, great effort.

Brander is looking like a different footballer, a different person. As a naysayer, I'm stoked to see it.

Imagine beating the Cats with our outs, how sweet that would be.

+
Witherden impressed the hell out of me with how he slotted in, he hit a few contests really hard. Can't remember the last time we had a club debutant hit the ground running. Picked apart the defence after it looked impenetrable early on. Great stuff.

Nelson as the defensive mid was great. Freed up Reddo in particular I reckon. Duggo more influential running from defence at this stage.

Vardy played his best game for the year, as low as that bar was. His best attribute was freeing up Allen.

Actually thought Cripps did great with his pressure tonight. Fumbles and s**t goal kicking aside.

Brander continues to build consistency. Will play all year as a mid if he keeps it up. Loving watching him develop.

-
Mistaking Brander for Rotham. Rotham was a bit down this week I reckon, some iffy kicks and he clearly still gets nervous one-on-one. Wasn't bad at all, but can definitely do much better.

JK with a limp, hope he's not gunna miss any games. Cole looked real bad.

Lost the clearances in Q1 pretty bad. Not just the numbers, but the quality of how Pies were sending it back in so regularly. Bit of a positive that we turned this around though.

Oscar.

Darling had a purple patch.

Brander continuing to show he belongs

Kelly showed it especially in the 2nd

Barrass is putting in a consistent season. Rock.

Sheed with 3 in a few minutes was good to see.

They were down a few but Rotham, Shep, Witho, Redden, and Duggo made it work.

Did I mention Oscar?

Negative for West Coast would have to be the impending suspension of Tim Kelly. High contact, went past the ball, left the ground probably looking at 2-3 weeks. Thoughts?
Nah, 1-4 not 2-3

Brander is looking like a different footballer, a different person. As a naysayer, I'm stoked to see it.

997823.png

Glad I didnt watch this one. Saw a popup on the computer that said we were up by 50 points or something at one stage? Turned it on with a minute to go when Cole was on the ground, and saw we won by about 4 kicks.

Never change, West Coast. Never change.

.....oh wait, no. The other thing.
I'm happy with my choice to not watch the game
Yeah, imagine watching a game where Collingwood are up early in the first quarter, we're the better team from then on, and then Dom Sheed kicks the sealer.

Positives +

+ Allen kicking 5, he's the future. Question is can he perform well on a consistent basis once he gets the best defender.
+ Darling accurate with his goalkicking another bag.
+ Redden played his best game this year being all over the footy.
+ Kelly played much better than last week and kicked a nice goal.
+ Witherden great on debut, nice to see him take the kick ins.
+ Sheed also playing better than last week, awesome to see him kick three straight to put it out of reach.
+ Gov controlled the air and reaching back to his AA form. No mistakes this time.
+ Barrass also great in the air too.
+ Shep great in defense again.
+ Duggan moved nicely, disposed of it well, was also one of our bests.
+ Nic Nat competing well against seven million dollar man. Still much better for value with Nic Nat.
+ Rotham competing well in defense. Can be panicky at times though.
+ Our I50 entries have been efficient. Magpies had 50 compared to 42 to us.
+ Waterman showing glimpses and was decent.
+ Jackson tagging out Pendlebury and Sidebottom.
+ Better pressure from the team.
+ Played on our terms most of the night.
+ JK competed well, still important in taking the best defender.
+ Cole played well in shutting down Daicos.
+ Brander showing he will be a future gun.
+ Managed a nice win without our best players Shuey, Yeo, Hurn and Ryan.
+ Forward pressure is good again.
+ Cripps's pressure was pretty good but was unfortunately fumbly.

Negatives -

- Unfortunately this win wallpapers over the cracks. Watch us get smashed by Geelong next week. Willing to bet the mortgage that the Cats will win.
- Langdon doesn't look AFL standard unfortunately. Too fumbly and poor decision making.
- Cole and Rotham getting concussed :(
- Fourth quarter fade outs. Being too tall sacrifices a runner. Will cost us in close matches E.G Bulldogs R2. We were lucky that they were missing two of their players and had one less rotation.
- Vardy poor again. I'm sure Williams would've provided more. We're still a man down playing Vardy in the side.
- XON didn't have a good game. I didn't notice him much. Hopefully he'll become a gun in the future.
- We are too fumbly at times.

Final thoughts?

It was a good win for the team but I'm not convinced we're top 4. We've allowed them to outscore us in the fourth quarter which hopefully will give us some energy against the Cats but I'm not liking it because we tried the same thing against Port and look what happened last week. Midfield provided better pressure and is willing to take the oppo on ground ball gets. Allen is a gun and Darling had a field day out. Unfortunately Langdon didn't look good and was too fumbly same as Cripps. What made Gov excellent in 2018 was in addition to his intercept marking, he was also taking the game on (see game winning passage in the 2018 GF), I'd like to see him rebound more and run it out of defense. Also would like to see Shep rebound it as well. JK was limping due to a trip but hopefully he's alright. Hopefully Sheed, Redden and Gaff can develop into main 1st-2nd type mids rather than supporting 3rd-4th mids. Would also like to see our smalls kick goals, Ryan's injury was a big loss in that area as Langdon did not look AFL Standard.

+ Very few passengers this game; it was a complete game from most of the team
+ Witherden was phenomenal and backed himself to make tremendous decisions
+ Sheed 3 goals in 3 minutes
+ Allen the contested marking beast
+ Darling monstered them
+ Duggan was very poised under pressure; a really good game
+ McGovern was terrific
+ Brander and Waterman worked extremely hard and both played well
+ DeGoey's nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back