Mega Thread Possible trades in 2015 for the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, factor this in, if the AFL hadn't been handing out priority picks willy nilly in 2004, we would of picked from who ever was left from Deledio, Roughead, Griffen, Tambling or Franklin at pick 5. And for those who say we would of been stuck with Tambles Lewis went at pick 7.

How that would of changed the current landscape

....would HAVE.....(X2) ;)

Seriously Sanders, you might want to arm yourself with some facts before talking s**t about a player you really know nothing about. Claiming he's worth a 3rd rounder at best indicates you are not worthy of making any comments regarding his talent, potential or worth (current or otherwise).

GWS had pre-selected Anderson as one of their two NT zone selections, knowing full well he was never going to stay in NSW - he'd already been picked up by them as a scholarship player 2 years earlier and hated it so much over there he moved home before even finishing a full year. He was never going to play in NSW, period.

Well aware of this, GWS sought to turn it into a profitable situation, and went about securing a player who had played a key role in Hawthorn's premiership years earlier - Gilham was basically the only KPD Hawks had left for over a half of footy that day after Croad went down early. They knew Anderson was a goner and rightly so picked up what they believed was adequate compensation in return for a player who never wanted to be there - Gilham, a slight upgrade of their second rounder and a slight downgrade of their third. Hawks were able to pick up Tim O'Brien and Kaiden Brand while GWS used the upgraded second to pick up another KP prospect James Stewart, who could play both ends and who Collingwood had passed on as a F/S option. They needed bookends, not young wiry mids who didn't have the slightest inclination of playing for the club.

At the time, GWS were sounding out whatever senior listed players they could muster so as not to enter the competition as a complete and utter basket case - and had only secured Phil Davis as their one and only AFL-exposed KPD.

Guys like Brogan, Cornes, Power and McDonald were their elder statesmen to guide them through the first few years and Gilham was no doubt a target they deemed capable of stemming the bleeding from a defensive viewpoint, there weren't many other senior KPD's available and willing to move to Western Sydney at the time.

Gilham went on to play half the year after a successful return from a knee and Stewart went on to play most of the year. Hawks got a supremely talented junior and a fairly handy forward-in-waiting in O'Brien.

If I had a choice, on pure talent alone, of every name that has been touted to come to us on this board or otherwise thus far, Anderson would be a clear number one... then bloody daylight to second. And my shroom stash has well and truly expired in case you were wondering. A few people who know me personally on this board can vouch for the fact I'm a fairly decent judge of young talent, you don't have to take my word for it and quite honestly I couldn't care less if you don't.

And Bacon8, this was the "vowel" I was talking to you on the phone about a couple of weeks back.. cat's out the bag now I guess
Wasn't Curtly Hampton one of the first guy's that GWS listed as a 17 year old? We want to pay a 3rd rounder for him now ...

On that same day - June 1 - to much less fanfare, the club also announced it’s first three player signings.

One of those players was a 17-year-old who was a three-time All Australian, had captained the AIS Academy side and been labelled “an indigenous prodigy in the mould of Adelaide Crows superstar Andrew McLeod”.

Along with midfielders Sam Schulz and Mark Whiley from NSW’s Riverina, Curtly Hampton was signed to the new AFL club as a Northern Territory zone selection. - See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/20...the-making-hamptons-50th#sthash.hDaOcp7k.dpuf

Ok just came in to check on some conversations and seems its all blown up again! WOW! Couple of things.

1. When Betts was "in limbo" between us and North I assured people he was coming to us. I was right (in terms of contract, I get 4th party info which is never 100%)

2. We did almost sign JC and our contract was the biggest as I reported. But conterary to post by some I never once said he was assured he was ours. I only said I was sure we had a brilliant chance.

3. I said we were chasing Menzel and was coming here to have a meeting. A few days later if was reported as exactly that.

As Ive said I am careful what I say as not to start a storm between posters and my source knows this. But still hasn't worked. I really can't do much more.

Wasn't Curtly Hampton oen of the first guy's that GWS listed as a 17 year old? We want to pay a 3rd rounder for him now ...

On that same day - June 1 - to much less fanfare, the club also announced it’s first three player signings.

One of those players was a 17-year-old who was a three-time All Australian, had captained the AIS Academy side and been labelled “an indigenous prodigy in the mould of Adelaide Crows superstar Andrew McLeod”.

Along with midfielders Sam Schulz and Mark Whiley from NSW’s Riverina, Curtly Hampton was signed to the new AFL club as a Northern Territory zone selection. - See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/20...the-making-hamptons-50th#sthash.hDaOcp7k.dpuf

Hampton is always reported at the first player they signed.

R.e the lack of excitement for Hampton wanting to join us, I think a big part of the excitement of trade period is the "one up manship" that you've fought off multiple clubs for the prized signature of someone.

He has 50 games under his belt at 22 years of age. I am excited about getting him because of the fit he is for our side.

I think Hampton will be a great pick up. Think guys can really get over-looked in that weird set up at GWS where they have first round picks falling out of their broom closet. Don't think they've learnt how to properly manage that level of talent and players like Hampton, who's always looked great whenever I've seen him play, get lost in the system.

I'll keep saying it - the guy is a perfect fit for us - he has so much upside. This bloke isn't one of those - he has got the best out of himself players - like a Cheney. He is genuinely full of potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that your opinion or did you plagiarise that after the event too? :p
Ok, I'm going to test the theory that you absolutely need to have the last word, always the domain of the desperately insecure.

You're saying that the only way I knew about the McLeod/Groom trade, part of footy folklore, was through Wikipedia?

Ok just came in to check on some conversations and seems its all blown up again! WOW! Couple of things.

1. When Betts was "in limbo" between us and North I assured people he was coming to us. I was right (in terms of contract, I get 4th party info which is never 100%)

2. We did almost sign JC and our contract was the biggest as I reported. But conterary to post by some I never once said he was assured he was ours. I only said I was sure we had a brilliant chance.

3. I said we were chasing Menzel and was coming here to have a meeting. A few days later if was reported as exactly that.

As Ive said I am careful what I say as not to start a storm between posters and my source knows this. But still hasn't worked. I really can't do much more.
I just like hearing something different from the rehashed media articles that are based on nothing more than water-cooler style research !!

I'll keep saying it - they guy is a perfect fit for us - he has so much upside. This bloke isn't one of those - he has got the best out of himself players - like a Cheney. He is genuinely full of potential.
Good fit and should come cheap.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

1. When Betts was "in limbo" between us and North I assured people he was coming to us. I was right (in terms of contract, I get 4th party info which is never 100%

Can you provide that link? The only one I saw from you in the Betts thread was you being third or 4th and claiming he would only get 3 years. Was there a different post I missed?

Almost huh?

Where has it been reported it that we met with Menzel?

The idea that your source wants to keep a name secret when every agent in the league wants to publicise all possible interest makes no sense

How do you explain the difference in approach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how messed up everyone gets this time of year and we haven't even started yet.

I've got an enormous news flash for you. At 900 on Monday morning there's going to be a whole bunch of people settled down for a long day of no work/school and long stretches of bigfooty to keep tabs on the 17000 trades that are going to come through including the shock Pendlebury to Crows deal that sweeps the whole football world off its feet...

...Roll around to 1700 Wednesday and the only trade completed is Gareth Shitburger from Melbourne to North for an 8th rounder and you've got fans baying for blood, turning on their own and demanding trade period be condensed into a 17 minute rapid fire speed dating tournament.

Patience kids, prepare yourselves for disappointment.

Whether they are BS or not I like reading the rumours.

Even better when they get picked up by the media and I hear people (who don't know about BF) talk about them because Rooch or Rowie are spouting them days after they are posted here.

With Grundy from the pies, is that just BF rumour or does it have legs? What would he be worth? Bearing in mind that all these clubs that have to part with players/picks to land all these other top shelf players.

From what I have seen, I rate Grundy (minus the hair style).... And he is "big" but would it be exciting for redhorse?

Redhorse, I found him !!!!!!

pnnMSY76CIZ9SUfT0f6XFWFO3fymFwtLSoVzosBFsVoQo5SRlrr4D9DlXF4Z7z_c94f3XwGViJ4z07E_ydQXN5Y8Pa4LpuO-T38sM65LyjjUOaNnr5W-b3NG9ahilulPoQ=w320-h180-nc

Can you provide that link? The only one I saw from you in the Betts thread was you being third or 4th and claiming he would only get 3 years. Was there a different post I missed?

Almost huh?

Where has it been reported it that we met with Menzel?

The idea that your source wants to keep a name secret when every agent in the league wants to publicise all possible interest makes no sense

How do you explain the difference in approach?

Simple. His source is not a player manager.
They are the only people that want to get names and clubs out and about.

The rest of the people involved would prefer a fairly secretive process.

Ok, I'm going to test the theory that you absolutely need to have the last word, always the domain of the desperately insecure.

You're saying that the only way I knew about the McLeod/Groom trade, part of footy folklore, was through Wikipedia?

Nah I'm just laughing at you, pretending to claim a view that only came into vogue years later was what everyone thought at the time. I'm not arguing with you, just wondering how far you'll keep digging.

I don't argue with 9/11 truthers, moon landing sceptics or other crazies either, their claims are not up for debate, but it's always good viewing watching them try.

What aren't you sure about? That it is an absolute reflection of value at the time?

Of course it is
To me the draft is like year 12 results. Ranking for your work as at the end of year 12. But no guarantee of how you will develop in the future.

Once taken, your draft order us meaningless as you are in AFL club and get access to the same training and coaching as a top draft pick at your club. It us natural ability, quality of coaching and work ethic that builds the player from there.

Much like your TER. Getting a high one is meaningless once you start work or further study.

Simple. His source is not a player manager.
They are the only people that want to get names and clubs out and about.

The rest of the people involved would prefer a fairly secretive process.

Explain whose interest is it not to publicise such things who still wants to publicise such things?

why wouldn't his player agent want to publicise it given we have to approach his agent? It is in their interest to boost the price by letting it be known that there is interest

So who is telling the horse that wants to keep it secret?

I love how messed up everyone gets this time of year and we haven't even started yet.

I've got an enormous news flash for you. At 900 on Monday morning there's going to be a whole bunch of people settled down for a long day of no work/school and long stretches of bigfooty to keep tabs on the 17000 trades that are going to come through including the shock Pendlebury to Crows deal that sweeps the whole football world off its feet...

...Roll around to 1700 Wednesday and the only trade completed is Gareth Shitburger from Melbourne to North for an 8th rounder and you've got fans baying for blood, turning on their own and demanding trade period be condensed into a 17 minute rapid fire speed dating tournament.

Patience kids, prepare yourselves for disappointment.

lol, some of that is gold. I think that was the old style though. Last year we saw a lot more action early on and I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of trades conducted on Monday and then nothing for a few days. Most clubs who wish to be active would have already been in negotiations for weeks. Hampton is apparently done and dusted, so is Dixon to Port so its all about just filing the paperwork. The only trades that I think will go long into trade week will be Carlisle to St Kilda, Henderson to Geelong and Aish to Collingwood. I even think Dangerfield will be signed off pretty quickly.

Explain whose interest is it not to publicise such things who still wants to publicise such things?

why wouldn't his player agent want to publicise it given we have to approach his agent? It is in their interest to boost the price by letting it be known that there is interest

So who is telling the horse that wants to keep it secret?

Everyone EXCEPT the player managers want deals/talks to remain secret.
There is no positive effect of the media knowing about certain deals.

Sure they will find out eventually....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back