Autopsy Post Match Discussion - Round 7 - Collingwood v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

yes untl replacemints for the guys whpo are always falling when heat one have 40+ games we will be up down mid table. will take time

We've been fortunate to have a good number of 20+ game players who we can take into games and rely on their output: Langdon, Grundy, Crisp, Frost. They're still developing, but they don't look out of place in a senior team who is striving to be competitive.

IMHO we're probably around our limit with players who are still young and trying to gain consistency. Today we had Witts, Broomhead, Seedsman, Karnezis, and DeGoey. In recent weeks we've had Gault and Ramsay.

The challenge for match committee will be to expose games to Kennedy, Moore, Scharenberg, Marsh, and Freeman without tipping the balance and having a team that is too inexperienced.

Realistically it'll be at least 2017 when our next generation largely reach the 40+ games of experience needed to be really competitive, and it might even be 2018.

There are a few things I want to get off my chest:

1. Seedsman was lazy today and got smashed on his wing. There were several instances where you could see him slacking off and allowing his man to wonder off and impact the contest.

2. I fear Karnezis is just not up to it. He looks incredibly slow and just doesn't dig deep. Pass

3. We get carved up in the centre bounce. How many times can the opposition tap it to the defensive side and clear it before we wake up?

4. Does Broomhead care? Where was he today? Has absolutely no urgency.

Interesting that we had 11 players with under 50 games experience out there today, that's half the team obviously.

Some of them have been around for a while (Karnezis, Witts, Adams, Crisp, Williams) but shows we are still inexperienced.

nucleus of a really good side.. if we are looking at the polish weve lost.. with only 2 marquee players in the mid these days (swan and pendlebury).. and with others like crisp and adams developing.. it was easy for richmond to hunt pendles today. don't worry lads.. the 2010 team we were chocker block with gun midfielders.. we'll get there again soon. still developing. Im actually starting to see a glimmer of hope last couple of weeks for white.. i am visualising another semi tall forward who is potent along side white and cloke.. might go well.

1. Seedsman was lazy today and got smashed on his wing. There were several instances where you could see him slacking off and allowing his man to wonder off and impact the contest.

2. I fear Karnezis is just not up to it. He looks incredibly slow and just doesn't dig deep. Pass

3. We get carved up in the centre bounce. How many times can the opposition tap it to the defensive side and clear it before we wake up?

Broomhead is just a kid. He has shown enough.. thomas and didak were so inconsistent for the first few yrs of their careers. we all know what broomhead can do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sort out that defend key posts.. we need to develop a bright spark of a fb.. a bekenbauer/general down back is what we lack.
Scharenberg and Marsh are the 2 obvious ones here. Moore also but he will be versatile and really we need him forward long term more then we do down back.

We can run with Frost and Brown as key defenders as long as we have creative players around them, and that's what Matty and Jono will bring. They will offer defensive pressure also and they are both excellent interceptors of the ball in flight already, but their ability to attack is what will improve us long term.

We will have to wait though, can't see either having a great impact at senior level this season.

We had two very unlucky bounces right at the end of the game. Brown cops a better bounce and traps that ball, that means the tigers aren't away and we counter attack. The other one was the Williams bounce, straight forward gather and form an attack. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be.

its amazing what missing a couple of games due to injury can do to your game.. seedsman i feel has lost momentum. Now as a player he has gotta learn how to come back and play good footy after a couple of weeks off. It's a learning experience for him.. and a blessing in disguise.. figure it out young man.

Scharenberg and Marsh are the 2 obvious ones here. Moore also but he will be versatile and really we need him forward long term more then we do down back.

We can run with Frost and Brown as key defenders as long as we have creative players around them, and that's what Matty and Jono will bring. They will offer defensive pressure also and they are both excellent interceptors of the ball in flight already, but their ability to attack is what will improve us long term.

We will have to wait though, can't see either having a great impact at senior level this season.
Well brown/frost combined total of 15 possessions today.. rance had 23. unfortunately neither of em are adept at reading the game.. dodging and weaving and creating space and have the confidence with ball in hand to take risks.. not great intercept marks either.

Broomhead is just a kid. He has shown enough.. thomas and didak were so inconsistent for the first few yrs of their careers. we all know what broomhead can do.
I'm not saying he doesn't have talent and won't make it. He just looks disinterested.

That's his third game in a row where he has looked like he's on Mogodon. He's not even damaging offensively.

Broomhead's honeymoon period must be close to being over. I got sucked in, but he needs to start becoming relevant to games. I don't think the insinuation that he might decide to go back home at a moments notice that we sometimes get, has got us as jumpy at the moment. How many games has he had more than 15 touches. Didn't see him when it got hot today.

Karnezis, White, Witts, Cloke and Grundy can't be in the same team. Pick 3 of them and replace the other two with mid fielders.

Yep, white and karnezis hav had plenty of years and games to establish themselves. Just not up to it.

Go with cloke and our present/future ruckman. need grundy to develop more into a forward/ruck. Of he and witts, he has the mobility to make a success of it.

I'm not saying he doesn't have talent and won't make it. He just looks disinterested.

That's his third game in a row where he has looked like he's on Mogodon. He's not even damaging offensively.
this little lean patch.. is what makes players. i wouldnt have it any other way.. now if he is intelligent which i think he is.. he will figure it out.. which will go a long way to assisting his careeer development

Well brown/frost combined total of 15 possessions today.. rance had 23. unfortunately neither of em are adept at reading the game.. dodging and weaving and creating space and have the confidence with ball in hand to take risks.. not great intercept marks either.

Rance was loose all game.

It's not a FB we lack it is that loose/peeler sweeper who comes 3rd in.

Taylor rarely plays FB for Geelong these days left for lonergan as a first option, Rance does and then some games doesn't, Gibson another who goes 3rd in most weeks.

Considering things that went against us such as Pendles having a second mare in a row, the loss of Tooves so early on etc we didn't do too bad.

But make no mistake about the fact it was a game between two fairly ordinary sides going nowhere in a hurry.

Has looked it all preseason and every game since.

For some reason they are ok with pumping games/gifting games to him but not so other highly rated talents.

Our selection policy is farked.

I'm also at a loss as to why we are half cocking a rebuild. This feels like the North Melbourne we can't afford to bottom out cause we to Povo policy so we wont play youth over hard working grunt players to "float" table for a while and hope our mid ranged picks come on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back