Postcards (Hong Kong, Rio, Torino, Melbourne, Hyderabad and many others ... Add your location)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's wrong.
Check out google maps and you will see it is no where near that distance.

Google maps shows it pretty much the same as the map above - it’s a around 100 km give or take.

At 60 km away the curvature of the earth would prevent you from seeing it.

Sure, you lose a ship (30 meters high?) over the horizon at around 5km?

The mountains on that island are 800m high.

I'm about to take one of my freighter trips - last Oct I took a 70,000 ton container ship on a 25 day trans-Pac: Syd-NZ-Papeete-San Francisco - and this new one is a ~14 day North Sea/Baltic trip on a small 3,500 ton German coastal freighter: Hamburg-Antwerp- Hull-various ports in Sweden-Kiel Canal-Hamburg.

Last time we discussed this I added it to my bucket-list. Bon voyage!

But hmmm - how do I upload some shots from my laptop PhotoGallery?

Not sure how to do it from laptop, but I just do it from my phone using the ‘upload a file’ button below the reply panel.

Unfortunately BigFooty has an upload limit of 1MB, so I get around this problem by taking a pic zoomed out to max, then manually crop it before uploading the cropped pic.

It’s a pain - Chief , it’d be nice if Xenforo had a plug-in that auto-scaled uploaded pics?

Not sure how to do it from laptop, but I just do it from my phone using the ‘upload a file’ button below the reply panel.

Unfortunately BigFooty has an upload limit of 1MB, so I get around this problem by taking a pic zoomed out to max, then manually crop it before uploading the cropped pic.

It’s a pain - Chief , it’d be nice if Xenforo had a plug-in that auto-scaled uploaded pics?

My cell phone is n/a outside the States. I can crop on my laptop but can't see the upload button on this site page.

But anyways - safe travels, 76.

My cell phone is n/a outside the States.

I found this trip that phone companies have pretty good deals for travelling abroad. I pay $10 a day with Telstra to get all the data and voice I need in most countries (I know there are US companies that have similar deals).

But it’s also a great idea to have the phone off while travelling :)

I can crop on my laptop but can't see the upload button on this site page.

See arrow below

5E76D141-6039-429A-B78E-E405A3A5A4E1.jpeg

But anyways - safe travels, 76.

Thanks, and to you!

I'm about to take one of my freighter trips - last Oct I took a 70,000 ton container ship on a 25 day trans-Pac: Syd-NZ-Papeete-San Francisco - and this new one is a ~14 day North Sea/Baltic trip on a small 3,500 ton German coastal freighter: Hamburg-Antwerp- Hull-various ports in Sweden-Kiel Canal-Hamburg.

But hmmm - how do I upload some shots from my laptop PhotoGallery?

A holiday on a freighter? I've heard about these. Sounds like a great way to see the world. I assume there are very few passengers, as opposed to the crew, and that the facilities are basic. Do you get your own cabin, but otherwise share the amenities, eating times, etc? The alternative, a 'holiday' on a cruise ship, is my idea of torture.

A holiday on a freighter? I've heard about these. Sounds like a great way to see the world. I assume there are very few passengers, as opposed to the crew, and that the facilities are basic. Do you get your own cabin, but otherwise share the amenities, eating times, etc? The alternative, a 'holiday' on a cruise ship, is my idea of torture.
If you like the sea you would like a freighter trip, but if you prefer to be entertained in a hotel/resort environment a freighter would be a bad choice.

This is my current trip
https://www.zylmann.de/fileadmin/zylmann/reisebeschr-eng_pdf/0057-NO_eng.pdf

That German site (my usual agents) has a bunch of voyages to choose. Over the past 50 years [I started in my teens] I've done quite a few trips on the high seas, chilling out.

The facilities are comfortable enough. You get your own self-contained cabin with en-suite, settee, desk etc. You eat with the officers/mates. You have the run of the ship - bridge etc. You buy candy/DF booze from the ship's store. You use the ship's laundry. There is usually some kind of library and videos on board. In port you usually have time to go ashore and look around.

The PAX are usually middle-aged or more, but have to be fit or they won't be taken. But on my trans-Pac last Oct we had a 20-something Italian guy who was going to cross the States on a bike.

I found this trip that phone companies have pretty good deals for travelling abroad. I pay $10 a day with Telstra to get all the data and voice I need in most countries (I know there are US companies that have similar deals).

But it’s also a great idea to have the phone off while travelling :)

See arrow below

View attachment 497730

Thanks, and to you!
Oh yes. Upload a file.

How did I miss that? Duh.

Download this app for your phone. I have it for my laptop/computer and just checked and it is also available for phone.

It reduces your photo size dramatically but doesn't affect quality.

https://download.cnet.com/PhotoRazor/3000-12511_4-76895485.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Latest postcard - leaving Sverige on my little 3,000 ton German freighter Frej.

P1030719.JPG Tracker https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=304010515

Lovely coastal scenery. Russian skipper and First Mate. Belgian girl 2nd Mate. Only one engineer - Croat. 3 Russian ABs. Ukranischer cook. Good food (but Slavic bland) and DF booze you order in bulk crates from ship's store. I'm OK with that [hic].

English is the ship's language, but they speak better German [which I speak, luckily].

Been hot here in northern Germany and Sweden. Walked to downtown Västerås and all the Swedish girls on the beach were to all intents stark naked. Which is fine, naturligtvis.

Cruising now west along Swedish coast Denmark then UK - Svensk radio stations playing classic US rock, the ship rolling gently on a quartering following sea, 16 hours daylight, and a glass of red close to hand.

Kill me now.

In England now?
Was in Hull. Fog and grey gloom. Once out of the Baltic area lost our Swedish ISP but back now in sunny Baltic Sea and on-line again.

In-bound to Hull we stopped in the North Sea for 3 hours to fish - got 7 cod and 5 mackerel.

Postcard attached. Glassy sea. Note low freeboard - 6 feet from sea to scuppers. Wet in a
seaway.

P1030837.JPG P1030837.JPG

My trip to Vietnam almost seems tame after reading about these freighter voyages, but I’m excited about it
Heading off tomorrow for 3weeks:)

heaps of pics, stories please :)went to Da nang last year for work, planning on going back next nov for honeymoon and see more of Vietnam, I fell in love

Remove this Banner Ad

Back