Postcards (Hong Kong, Rio, Torino, Melbourne, Hyderabad and many others ... Add your location)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Alhambra in Granada is absolutely wonderful. The Islamic architecture from 800 to 1000 years ago is beautiful, and the gardens and pools stunning.
I was there for 7 hours, going from one palace or fortress or garden to another
These few photos don't do it justice.

fc165917dd0d4d8d23ad5248b7a9233d.jpg

The entrance to the Generalife, which were the gardens the kings relaxed in

900de579309655d0310ef6d652b17609.jpg

The town of Granada at the base of the mountain, and the main palaces of the Alhambra

1c9f446a714338db757ef4c3a6ed1046.jpg

The watch tower. The arches were set low so the guards could sit

fb8eeea9310e75cd36b727d5ea20c680.jpg

The entrance to the royal palace

a038323818cf11bc89cc40ee25f62f7c.jpg

The ceiling of one of the domes. The number 8 is very significant, hence 8 sides, 8 windows etc
f720e26c05d8bae7a796c5b6912595c2.jpg

Some of the amazing detail

I'm in Sevilla now. It's 40 degrees. Manageable if one paces oneself.:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking across the valley to the city
eb078c1812b227aef56589efd79a7a7e.jpg

The water system that was invented at the time to bring water to the Alhambra is still in use.
It delivers beautiful fresh clean water from the river 6 kms away, through a system of channels and aqueducts.
Ingenious

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey jathanas
Are you all better now?

Hi MG,

I back home from hospital now but have 1 more procedure lined up in 2 weeks to remove a kidney stent. Not in much pain ATM (knock on wood) but it has been rough. I thought this was going to be 2 simple day procedures (1 to blast stones, the other to remove stents) , but it has turned into an absolute nightmare.

First procedure was last Monday, 8 stones lazered, 2 kidney stents inserted, kept overnight and dosed w' morphine to manage the pain. Right kidney inflamed.

Second procedure was last Friday as I'm one the few people that suffer lots of pain from the stents. 2 more stones nuked, 2 stents removed, a smaller stent inserted in the right kidney, small tear detected. Came out of recovery and the pain hit me like a tonne of bricks. Kept in hospital until Monday morning with a catheter. The morphine dose administered on Friday night was on the high end and required that I be on oxygen. (I also lost my s**t with all the pain so I received Diazepam as an extra bonus).

I want this shitty episode in my rear-view mirror ASAP. I'm the last person on earth you'd expect this to happen to. I eat and live clean, I am fit and strong; aside from a career in IT, I'm also a Crossfit competitor and coach.

Sometimes life can hit damn hard, you never know what's around the corner, just enjoy each day.

Hi MG,

I back home from hospital now but have 1 more procedure lined up in 2 weeks to remove a kidney stent. Not in much pain ATM (knock on wood) but it has been rough. I thought this was going to be 2 simple day procedures (1 to blast stones, the other to remove stents) , but it has turned into an absolute nightmare.

First procedure was last Monday, 8 stones lazered, 2 kidney stents inserted, kept overnight and dosed w' morphine to manage the pain. Right kidney inflamed.

Second procedure was last Friday as I'm one the few people that suffer lots of pain from the stents. 2 more stones nuked, 2 stents removed, a smaller stent inserted in the right kidney, small tear detected. Came out of recovery and the pain hit me like a tonne of bricks. Kept in hospital until Monday morning with a catheter. The morphine dose administered on Friday night was on the high end and required that I be on oxygen. (I also lost my s**t with all the pain so I received Diazepam as an extra bonus).

I want this shitty episode in my rear-view mirror ASAP. I'm the last person on earth you'd expect this to happen to. I eat and live clean, I am fit and strong; aside from a career in IT, I'm also a Crossfit competitor and coach.

Sometimes life can hit damn hard, you never know what's around the corner, just enjoy each day.
This had turned into a terrible saga for you jathanas but im really happy to hear you're on the mend.
Hope the final procedure goes with ease and grace and you're back on your bike real soon
Take care

Has anyone here done a contiki tour or anything of the like? Part of me really has itchy feet because I've never really been anywhere and I feel I need to do something while I'm still relatively young...ish. The other frugal side says that the 10grand that it would cost is better served going towards a house or something.

Has anyone here done a contiki tour or anything of the like? Part of me really has itchy feet because I've never really been anywhere and I feel I need to do something while I'm still relatively young...ish. The other frugal side says that the 10grand that it would cost is better served going towards a house or something.
Spend it on travel megabob.
I have never done a contiki tour but I have traveled to many countries and I am a firm believer that it is fantastic for self development.
Oh and a hell of a lot of fun while your at it.

You said your relatively young. You have plenty of time to buy a house. Travel while you can.

Spend it on travel megabob.
I have never done a contiki tour but I have traveled to many countries and I am a firm believer that it is fantastic for self development.
Oh and a hell of a lot of fun while your at it.

You said your relatively young. You have plenty of time to buy a house. Travel while you can.
Couldn't have said it better Otto
I'm a firm believer in travel, and especially before 'settling down"

A short kontiki tour is a good way to see several places quickly, and make friends, while deciding where you'd like to go back to.
I wouldn't advice spending all your money this way, but instead revisit places and hang out for a while.
Staying in backpacker hostels is a fantastic way to met people and have lots of adventures - better than tours really. Don't be afraid to travel on your own MegaBob as it opens up so many opportunities

Hi MG,

Hey could be worse, my father has gone through pretty much the same trouble only during that episode it was discovered he has prostate cancer.

Hey could be worse, my father has gone through pretty much the same trouble only during that episode it was discovered he has prostate cancer.

That's awful man, sorry to read that.

I wish your dad a good recovery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Obese Arachnid , these little babies below are ***the best*** steamed dim sims I have ever had in my life. They've got a little hot spice - enough to warm the mouth to greet the flavours but not too much. And the flavours - oh my god! And the half casing is a good idea, provides a good texture in the mouth without too much stodge. An easy 15 on the South Melbourne market scale. Greetings from a little market alleyway in Tokyo!

ps. jathanas it is indeed a worthy bucket list destination!

IMG_5906.JPG

Last edited:
Not me but an old photo I found in an album recently:

What my nonna called the "washing well" in her home town of Tramutola, Basilicata circa mid-20th century. Hope to visit one day, along with the rest of the country.
View attachment 477824
I’ve been through this area when going from Matera to Salerno
Hope you do get there one day

I’ve been through this area when going from Matera to Salerno
Hope you do get there one day
Planning to visit the majority of the country in 2020 and I'm borderline counting the days already. Using the two years wait to brush up on my Italiano :)

Planning to visit the majority of the country in 2020 and I'm borderline counting the days already. Using the two years wait to brush up on my Italiano :)
Un buon idea:)

Greetings from Lake Baikal, Siberia, Russia.

The foreground is sandy beach, just like you see along any coastline.

The white bits are ice - two weeks ago this lake was fully covered in ice that could be driven across.

The landmass in the distance is an island in the lake - it is 60 kilometers away. It is 100 kilometers to the far side.

F8A0194E-EBF3-4FC4-9D15-226B5C8F83F1.jpeg

Greetings from Lake Baikal, Siberia, Russia.

The foreground is sandy beach, just like you see along any coastline.

The white bits are ice - two weeks ago this lake was fully covered in ice that could be driven across.

The landmass in the distance is an island in the lake - it is 60 kilometers away. It is 100 kilometers to the far side.

View attachment 497640
Wow! Doesn't look 60 km away, but it does look cold, even with the ice largely melted.

I'm about to take one of my freighter trips - last Oct I took a 70,000 ton container ship on a 25 day trans-Pac: Syd-NZ-Papeete-San Francisco - and this new one is a ~14 day North Sea/Baltic trip on a small 3,500 ton German coastal freighter: Hamburg-Antwerp- Hull-various ports in Sweden-Kiel Canal-Hamburg.

But hmmm - how do I upload some shots from my laptop PhotoGallery?

That's wrong.
Check out google maps and you will see it is no where near that distance.
At 60 km away the curvature of the earth would prevent you from seeing it.
Depends on the height of the coastline.

If that coastline is say 1,000' high, then it is visible for 60 kms.

See d ~ 3.57 x square root of h
where d is in kilometres and h is height above ground level in metres. The constant 3.57 has units of km/m½.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back