Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't like it that Longmire is hinting that he might slot Heeney back into the forward line. It's such a waste when generally Parker is so lackluster. And Heeney has shown what he can do with electrifying form. In the thick of it where we need him.
I think Parker will benefit hugely from having Grundy and Adams alongside him in the mids, with Rowbottom, Mills contributing and then Warner, Gulden and Heeney playing creative roles. I think we'll see a different Parker this year, rather than being the main target for the opposition, he'll be part of a dangerous and dynamic midfield group. Will find more time and space. Will also be fresher as he'll be able to spend more time up forward.

Heeney can still be used as an impact player in the midfield, spending more or less time in the midfield as needed based on match ups etc. Heeney doesn't need to spend significant time in the mids to impact the game. He'll probably have license to roam to where he's needed like Goodes, Bontempelli, prime Fyfe etc. And if the midfield mix isn't working, Horse can swap Parker/Adams with Heeney to change the dynamic of a game if we're being beaten in the mids.

Heeneys midfield form just gives us greater flexibility to turn a game in our favour. It's a great card to have up our sleeve. Also, you don't want Heeney to spend too much time in the midfield over the course of the season where his body is going to be battered. We want him cherry ripe for finals, and a hybrid role is probably the best way to achieve that.

I expect horse to use H&A season to try different things and look at different mixes that work really well, and hopefully have a big bag of tricks he can draw on during finals.

I think Parker will benefit hugely from having Grundy and Adams alongside him in the mids, with Rowbottom, Mills contributing and then Warner, Gulden and Heeney playing creative roles. I think we'll see a different Parker this year, rather than being the main target for the opposition, he'll be part of a dangerous and dynamic midfield group. Will find more time and space. Will also be fresher as he'll be able to spend more time up forward.

Heeney can still be used as an impact player in the midfield, spending more or less time in the midfield as needed based on match ups etc. Heeney doesn't need to spend significant time in the mids to impact the game. He'll probably have license to roam to where he's needed like Goodes, Bontempelli, prime Fyfe etc. And if the midfield mix isn't working, Horse can swap Parker/Adams with Heeney to change the dynamic of a game if we're being beaten in the mids.

Heeneys midfield form just gives us greater flexibility to turn a game in our favour. It's a great card to have up our sleeve. Also, you don't want Heeney to spend too much time on the midfield over the course of the season where his body is going to be battered. We want him cherry ripe for finals, and a hybrid role is probably the best way to achieve that.

I expect horse to use H&A season to try different things and look at different mixes that work really well, and hopefully have a big bag of tricks he can draw on during finals.
I find it interesting that Longmire has experimented so much during what were potentially our two toughest games in the first third of the season. We lost centre clearance in both games though won stoppages against the Dees which suggests we still have work to do to find our best setup.
caesar88 stats show that we did quite well at converting first hands to clean clearances which is a plus.

I don't like it that Longmire is hinting that he might slot Heeney back into the forward line. It's such a waste when generally Parker is so lackluster. And Heeney has shown what he can do with electrifying form. In the thick of it where we need him.
no need to give away his plans, just leave opposition teams wondering

Heeney's been great. But Horse knows a lot. He knows it's only been two games, and that we've started years strongly before*. He knows footy's always at it's most free-flowing in the opening rounds, so dynamics may change. He knows that injuries occur. He knows that Heeney might get figured out by opposition players/coaches.

So I think when he gives these "It's not something I'm thinking about too much," kind of answers, it's because it's not something he's thinking about.

*In 2022, we started the year 2-0, with two wins scoring 100+ points. And in 2023, we started the year 2-0, with two wins by 40+ points. In both years we lost in round 3, really badly.

In his current form, you could put Heeney anywhere and he is going to dominate.

Also, you don't want Heeney to spend too much time in the midfield over the course of the season where his body is going to be battered. We want him cherry ripe for finals, and a hybrid role is probably the best way to achieve that.

His body has been battered and injured in the forward line. If anything he's probably safer in the mids away from monster defenders and dangerously flying for marks in crowded packs.

My kid at a similar age had a very similar experience with Glenn McGrath at the cricket. Cold as. Not even a smile.
On the other hand every Swans player we've met has been warm and friendly. Every single one. Coaches too.

i think glenn mcgrath revealed his character during his playing career, along with several others in that ponting-lehmann era, including ponting himself right at the top ... aggressive gamesmanship and generally just bad sports, could dish it out but could not cop it back
i was no fan of shane warne off the field but on the field i'll give him credit, he could take as much as he dished out
but mcgrath, ponting, shane watson, mitchell johnson et al, nah, their petulant poor sportsmanship shamed them and the national team culture

I expect it from Lockett, the worst is from the people you expect it the least.
I think we have to remember that players are people too, with lives to live. I imagine it can get wearing if you’re approached all the time, in non-football contexts, by strangers when you’re just going about your business. Maybe the financial rewards that today’s players get put an onus on them to accept each and every intrusion, but that wasn’t the case in Skilton’s time, or even, really, in Lockett’s time (especially at the start of his career).

And also, everyone is permitted to be having a bad day when intrusions are even less welcome than normal.

Many a moon ago I was in a club's social room after a game and having a beer with a couple of players (as was the fashion at the time) and a kid came over with an autograph book and both players duly signed it.

The kid then looked at me and asked "Are you anyone?"
He was duly informed by the players "No he isn't, waste of an autograph"
Kid's response "Thought so" and walked off.

So for all you people and your families that have been rejected for an autograph I'm ready to sign anything.

Last edited:
I think we have to remember that players are people too, with lives to live. I imagine it can get wearing if you’re approached all the time, in non-football contexts, by strangers when you’re just going about your business. Maybe the financial rewards that today’s players get put an onus on them to accept each and every intrusion, but that wasn’t the case in Skilton’s time, or even, really, in Lockett’s time (especially at the start of his career).

And also, everyone is permitted to be having a bad day when intrusions are even less welcome than normal.
I think the most credit goes to the player (or whatever) who is having a bad day but can still muster a smile or a thankyou or sign an autograph when they feel like crap.
Especially with kids. The impact these encounters have is huge. Watching how the men's and women's AFL teams interact with the crowd tells me that the clubs are aware of this and make sure the players do their bit. Same with the Matildas.

I mentioned this a while back, but when I first met Jake Lloyd and told him he was my favourite player, his reaction was a mixture of shock and discomfort. He wasn't rude at all, but I could tell he just did not know how to react to that kind of attention and that kind of praise. And that is actually... normal?

He's a professional footballer who, in his eyes, is just doing the job he's paid to do. If someone came up to my desk and said, "You are one of the best to ever grace this company!" I would be that weirded out I'd probably dial 000 and ask for a restraining order.

It ultimately comes down to how much a player values the public side of their careers vs just purely the footballing side. Some fully embrace their public profile and I think we as fans tend to gravitate to these players more so than the latter types - the unfiltered social media presence of a Brodie Grundy, the confidence-bordering-on-arrogance of a Chad Warner, the big personality of a Tom Papley, or the natural self-promoters like Isaac Heeney and Nick Blakey. But I think the actual most normal guys are the ones who can't wrap their heads around the fact that they are public figures, and they're idolised by thousands of randoms who know very little about them. Because that IS unusual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeney's been great. But Horse knows a lot. He knows it's only been two games, and that we've started years strongly before*. He knows footy's always at it's most free-flowing in the opening rounds, so dynamics may change. He knows that injuries occur. He knows that Heeney might get figured out by opposition players/coaches.

So I think when he gives these "It's not something I'm thinking about too much," kind of answers, it's because it's not something he's thinking about.

*In 2022, we started the year 2-0, with two wins scoring 100+ points. And in 2023, we started the year 2-0, with two wins by 40+ points. In both years we lost in round 3, really badly.

C’mon. Yes it has only been two games, but elsewhere you were potting Gulden as an inside mid after two games.

C’mon. Yes it has only been two games, but elsewhere you were potting Gulden as an inside mid after two games.
I wasn't "potting" Gulden. I was saying he's better on the outside than he is on the inside and is the inside mid offering the least at the moment, so an Adams or a Parker would be an upgrade on him inside and Gulden can be outside more where he's better.

I wasn't "potting" Gulden. I was saying he's better on the outside than he is on the inside and is the inside mid offering the least at the moment, so an Adams or a Parker would be an upgrade on him inside and Gulden can be outside more where he's better.

On the basis of two games, at least one of which involves supposed after affects of flu or Covid? I expect Guldens presence at CBs attracts more Oppo defensive attention than other players (Warner is in the same category). This possibly helps Heeney.

We should be wary of generalising from limited samples.

For example if I generalised from his first quarter v the Pies I’d rate Rowy as a well rounded A grade inside mid. The other 7 quarters suggest otherwise but hey we are just two games into the season.

It does seem the plan is to continue to run lots of players through stoppages. When others rock back in from injury the6 will be part of a larger rotation. No one will be a full time inside mid and all must have the skills to also play elsewhere.

New 150th merch released.

Tempted to get the new scarf but is it worth the $45 or better to pay up for the wool $85?

I have nfi about quality of clothes etc. lol

Tempted to get the new scarf but is it worth the $45 or better to pay up for the wool $85?

Wool for me, but quality of synthetics have improved.

Is that getting sent out to members or paid only?

Mr Fun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back