Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

Rome Burgoyne: The son of Port Adelaide champion Peter Burgoyne and brother of current Power player Jase Burgoyne, 16-year-old Rome Burgoyne has been one of South Australia’s fastest rising prospects in recent years. Starting his young career with Port District and now representing the Woodville West Torrens U18s and Prince Alfred College First XVIII side under coach Matt Slade, Burgoyne has excelled as an efficient and skilful half-back who reads the ball as well as anyone and punishes teams with his distribution.

“I’ve had a lot of fun with Port District and Eagles, as well as with PAC and I’ve enjoyed putting the work in to develop with all my coaches,” Burgoyne said.
“Hopefully this year I can finish strong with PAC and the Eagles U18s and hopefully get a nod for the state side.” While Burgoyne has had his older brother and father to look up to throughout his journey so far, he has also had his fair share of AFL idols growing up, including Hawthorn icon Cyril Rioli. “I’ve looked up to my dad a lot but definitely Cyril as well - he’s got that highlight reel everyone dreams of having and he was always super fun to watch.”

Rome Burgoyne: The son of Port Adelaide champion Peter Burgoyne and brother of current Power player Jase Burgoyne, 16-year-old Rome Burgoyne has been one of South Australia’s fastest rising prospects in recent years. Starting his young career with Port District and now representing the Woodville West Torrens U18s and Prince Alfred College First XVIII side under coach Matt Slade, Burgoyne has excelled as an efficient and skilful half-back who reads the ball as well as anyone and punishes teams with his distribution.

“I’ve had a lot of fun with Port District and Eagles, as well as with PAC and I’ve enjoyed putting the work in to develop with all my coaches,” Burgoyne said.
“Hopefully this year I can finish strong with PAC and the Eagles U18s and hopefully get a nod for the state side.” While Burgoyne has had his older brother and father to look up to throughout his journey so far, he has also had his fair share of AFL idols growing up, including Hawthorn icon Cyril Rioli. “I’ve looked up to my dad a lot but definitely Cyril as well - he’s got that highlight reel everyone dreams of having and he was always super fun to watch.”
I've been hoping that Rome could be recruited as an electric, goal-kicking small forward rather than another half-back flanker given the current balance of our list.

I've been hoping that Rome could be recruited as an electric, goal-kicking small forward rather than another half-back flanker given the current balance of our list.
Commentators have enough trouble telling JHF apart from Bergman…. Imagine the trouble with two Burgoynes.

Next 3 years:
2023 - Oliver Francou
2023 - Jack Lade

2024 - Louie Montgomery
2024 - Ky Burgoyne (also FS eligible for Hawthorn)
2024 - Rome Burgoyne

2025 - Jake Bishop
2025 - Ben Francou
2025 - Darcy Thurstans
2025 - Gill Wakelin (also FS eligible for St Kilda)
2025 - Charlie Wilson
2025 - Tom Wilson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think it's been mentioned.
Under 16 championship a big win for SA a few weeks ago.

Opps last year
Still stands though

Lou Montgomery probably BOG on the wing.

Worth watching the last under 18 game SA play he should get another run there?

Very good overhead and got a terrific leg on him could be a 1st round pick next year?

Last edited:
Port Adelaide: “It’s all coming together.”

AFL: “2023 will be the last year of father / son.”

Yes he is. Michael did start his career at Port though. Played juniors and reserves. I think he may have played the odd league game as well.

By the by, do we know if journalist James Wakelin (Port ambassador Rebecca Morse’s husband) is another relation?

I don’t want to make the same mistake I once made with Shane and Jeremy Clayton.

By the by, do we know if journalist James Wakelin (Port ambassador Rebecca Morse’s husband) is another relation?

I don’t want to make the same mistake I once made with Shane and Jeremy Clayton.

I believe they are cousins. James' brother is Daniel Wakelin who played for Centrals and North in the 00s

As Macca said Tribey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back