Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

LEAGUE FLAGS CHANGES TO BIDDING SYSTEM​

THE AFL has flagged a series of potential changes to its draft bidding system, but has warned that an overarching umbrella structure for bids on both father-son and academy players remains unlikely.
Speaking on Gettable this week, the AFL's CEO elect Andrew Dillon revealed that the League continues to examine ways in which it can refine the draft's bidding process.
Currently there are three different sets of bidding rules depending on whether clubs elect to place them on father-son prospects, Northern Academy graduates or Next Generation Academy (NGA) players.
Clubs can currently match father-son bids anywhere in the draft, but can only match NGA bids outside the top 40 selections. There are also a host of intricacies for Northern Academy players, such as clubs only being able to match two top-20 bids if they play finals that season.
But the League is set to continue tying up any loose ends within its bidding process, including whether clubs can match first-round bids on father-son prospects with a host of later selections.
"They are really different, a father-son versus a Northern Academy versus a Next Generation Academy. They're all in for different reasons. Having specifics around each of those three is really important for us," Dillon told Gettable.
"What I'd like to look at is that our clubs are really good at, 'You write a rule, we're going to work out what's the best way we can – not exploit the rule – but do what we're doing within the rules?'
"When we first brought in the bidding system, we had the hidden picks where clubs were aggregating heaps of picks. We moved to change that. Sometimes, people look at it and say, 'How can you pick up a player in the early part of the draft by matching (a bid) with picks in the 40s?' Again, as we evolve, that's something to look at. We're taking feedback from clubs all the time on it." – Riley Beveridge

I'm actually happy they're looking at tightening up the father-son drafting rules. I'd be happy with something like you gotta have a first round pick ready if your father-son player gets bid in the first round. If your first round pick is before they're bidded on, happy days for you and two first rounders coming your way, but trading out early picks just cos you know you're guaranteed one is pretty bullshit. Although then that brings in trading like the 4th pick for the 18th pick because you know your player is going to be bid on with pick 1 or 2. I dunno, clubs always exploit everything so I guess there's no easy solution.

I see James Borlase might get a game this week for the crowies. He has got the widest, squarest shoulders I have ever seen. If he went skydiving he could fly like a sugar glider with his mighty lats, and he is actually taller than his dad.
Why did port pass on him and how the hell was he born in Egypt? Was Darryl over there doing some Indiana jones stuff? Or working for the wheat board?

I'm actually happy they're looking at tightening up the father-son drafting rules. I'd be happy with something like you gotta have a first round pick ready if your father-son player gets bid in the first round. If your first round pick is before they're bidded on, happy days for you and two first rounders coming your way, but trading out early picks just cos you know you're guaranteed one is pretty bullshit. Although then that brings in trading like the 4th pick for the 18th pick because you know your player is going to be bid on with pick 1 or 2. I dunno, clubs always exploit everything so I guess there's no easy solution.

Im said year ago that the answer was to make bidding that you can only use picks in the round and following round a bid is placed.

It’s simple, so simple is moronic that it as t been done.

Ie bid in first means only 1st and 2nd rounder picks are eligible to be used to pay for them.

A second round bid requires 2nd and / or 3rds.

Removes the ability to stockpile late picks to pay for high end players , but still give teams enough picks to use.

I see James Borlase might get a game this week for the crowies. He has got the widest, squarest shoulders I have ever seen. If he went skydiving he could fly like a sugar glider with his mighty lats, and he is actually taller than his dad.
Why did port pass on him and how the hell was he born in Egypt? Was Darryl over there doing some Indiana jones stuff? Or working for the wheat board?
We didn’t pass on him. Daisy didn’t play the 400 games required in the 4 season allocated for SANFL father sons.

Was Darryl over there doing some Indiana jones stuff? Or working for the wheat board?

If you've ever read anything about the Australian Wheat board, these two things aren't mutually exclusive.

We didn’t pass on him. Daisy didn’t play the 400 games required in the 4 season allocated for SANFL father sons.
We could have picked him with out last pick in the ND after the Crows overlooked him in that draft.

We could have picked him with out last pick in the ND after the Crows overlooked him in that draft.
No.

He was a crows nga. Once no one bid on him in the nat draft the crows were able to add him as a cat b rookie.

We wouldn’t have wanted him anyway, he’s not really good enough.

None of that detracts from the absurdity of the situation that he was eligible for the crows and not us.

If you've ever read anything about the Australian Wheat board, these two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Harrison Ford Film GIF by Tech Noir

That is a bag of wheat in Indy's right hand

Was Darryl over there doing some Indiana jones stuff? Or working for the wheat board?

To supplement bomber's comments, try Googling "Trevor Flugge" and go through the images.

No.

He was a crows nga. Once no one bid on him in the nat draft the crows were able to add him as a cat b rookie.

We wouldn’t have wanted him anyway, he’s not really good enough.

None of that detracts from the absurdity of the situation that he was eligible for the crows and not us.
Once no one bid on him yes.

As I said we could have bid on him with our last pick in the ND (which from memory we decided not to use).

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting to see how he goes if he gets a game. A few crows think he will be cut at seasons end.
We seem to have a lot of father sons not eligible or shorter and not as good as their fathers.

Once no one bid on him yes.

As I said we could have bid on him with our last pick in the ND (which from memory we decided not to use).

Why would we bid on him?

No one else did.

He’s going to get delisted from the crows.

He’s not an afl player.

That doesn’t make it less ****ed up that the afl botched the rules and ****ed us over, and us bidding for him wouldn’t have changed anything.

Why would we bid on him?

No one else did.

He’s not an afl player.

That doesn’t make it less ****ed up that the afl botched the rules and ****ed us over, and us bidding for him wouldn’t have changed anything.
I didn't say we should have. I was just pointing out that we could have.

There is no point complaining about missing out on a player that we could have had but chose not to.

Why would we bid on him?

No one else did.

He’s not an afl player.

Should give him a year or two, they have put a couple of years development into him, McKenzie and Jonas nearing the end, could do FAR worse

I didn't say we should have. I was just pointing out that we could have.

There is no point complaining about missing out on a player that we could have had but chose not to.

Who’s complaining about missing out on him?

The beef is the insane rules that a 4 time port premiership captains son isn’t eligible for port but was eligible for the crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back