Preview Training reports, pics, training discussion, mustachioed 80s heartthrobs

Remove this Banner Ad

th

Silvagni will likely take time, both to develop physically and he may be a type of player who needs to find his position/role in the side. At this stage looks like a medium forward who can fill the same role back. Could grow into a key position player. Could end up being a big bodied midfielder like his grandfather. no one has seen much of him at a high level yet to have much of an idea. Has athleticism, footy skills and footy smarts which is a great start.
Blokes will need to get their positioning right. It's going to take a while. Even the best sides fall apart on their positioning at times. Look at west coast in the grand final, they s**t themselves and their positioning fell to pieces and players didn't stick to their role in the side and were punished severely.

Hawthorn operate with a few very disciplined defensive structures that work really well. They setup tall at half back, they have a few zones that try and eliminate short kicking through the middle of the ground and encourage the opposition to kick long to half back. Worked brilliantly in the grand final. The do open things up and spread the field at times. I haven't analysed it a heap but really like the balance that side has and the discipline in which it goes about it.
Our boys are going to need to run really hard the other way to make sure they set up. They are going to need to be quick about it. But going the other way, if we are going to look to go direct and use a lot of short kicking, our kicking and handball will need to be significantly better than it has been ever.

Hawks have tallish guys at half forward who create space and separation through athleticism, speed and sheer effort. I think we have guys capable of going this but we will see.

This season will sort a lot of guys out. Usually you get a new coach and they end up liking some players and not others, some players who have ability go because they don't fit into the system for various reasons. I think guys who don't dispose of it well and don't get to position well or lose concentration will be hard done by as will those who don't put in.

I like Emily, she's obviously a Carlton supporter and she seems to be lapping up her new role, keep up the great work :thumbsu: (not that she's reading BF)
regardless of controversial posts about emily's players flirtations i Think shes doing a Good Job. ..i Bet shes got a School background that has something To do with psicology And body language ...shes Not flirting. ...shes making The interviewed listenner comfortable.

That's good, but bad. Now....where's that scratching head emoji..

A developed 198cm top-ager beating up on a lightweight 191cm bottom-ager?
Doesn't sound too much to worry about, really.

I understand that the feeling around Silvagni is a very positive one, and we've already seen why this may be the case.

Can't a pleasant young lady just do her job in peace without being accused of cradle-snatching every time she does an interview?

Emily brings a great deal to her interviews. She asks intelligent , relevant questions, and in a way that draws out the information in a relaxed way. This is invaluable for the club as it seeks to reconnect with disenfranchised members, who will no doubt feel that they are getting an inside look at some of our players. The fact that Emily is a striking looking young lady is a great bonus as well, but certainly shouldn't define her. To make juvenile comments about her "ïntimate style" is just silly and completely ignoring most of the skills that she brings as an interviewer.
I was the person to make the original observation after watching the Cripps interview, and I subsequently went and dug up some of her news footage to see if it was just her interview style. She's a very bubbly personality that is asking some very good questions and generally being quite positive and engaging in these interviews, but I stand by my original comments that she maybe fancied Cripps a little (which is fine anyway, they're both adults and she was still maintaining a professional exchange in her role).

She was still engaging and bubbly in the Weitering interview, just not (arguably) flirty in her mannerisms, and that's also fine (this was recorded before the Cripps interview I believe). Subtleties of body language and eye contact are not grounds for marking down her professional performance, just a bit of idle chat here on a forum to see if we're still socially-attuned creatures. ;)

I'm a lot more bullish on Jack than when we drafted him.

He's a long way back but the kid is a one touch player with terrific visions, plays tall, good buckets and beautiful longish kick.

Think he's a much better prospect in that 3-4 th tall than say Brad Fisher and he played 99 games but couldn't go beyond 40m out fos he couldn't kick 45.

Think he's a much better prospect in that 3-4 th tall than say Brad Fisher and he played 99 games but couldn't go beyond 40m out fos he couldn't kick 45.

Fisher started as a very good contested mark and goalsneak.

What killed his career was injuries that curtailed his running. In the days of defensive forwards, being unable to give chase was a liability.

What killed his career was injuries that curtailed his running. In the days of defensive forwards, being unable to give chase was a liability.
That knee injury killed his career, he was never the same after that imo.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silvagni with our 5th pick is the biggest free hit of all time .
He's got the footy smarts that you just can't teach on top of a beautiful kicking action and a purple pedigree .
We paid a heavy price as a club to land where we did in the draft , of course only time will tell but our selections just look and feel so right .
If the cards fall our way it may well be the super draft that forms the foundation's of our next serious side ...

Loved Fisher. Couldn't kick over a jam tin even if he was standing on a platform. Other than that he did well. Shattered he fell short of 100.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back