Premier A 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very bold, but i'll also use the same disclaimer on how hard it is...

Premiers Old Xavs. Class, depth and the right age/games played mix means they are the ones to beat again.

Runners Up Uni Blacks - same reason as above, although McCauley and Richardson (half year?) are out the ins cover easily.

Woodrow Iezzi (OT), Kennedy (Xavs) or Watts (UB) - all proven guns at this level

Improver Uni Blacks - Hard to improve on 3rd but think they will only improve this year and will give Xavs a good run should they make the big dance.

Slider De La - rumoured departures is all I'm going off here... could slide down near the dreaded R word

Best Forward Goss if he plays all games (rumours of trying out for the recruit), going to throw Hanley in if this is the case, and Jones (bernards) if he gets on the park.

I think you'll find that J.Watts will be trying to win the B Grade medal this season!
Morning coffee hadn't kicked in... I'll take Richards (STB) as my sub. But knowing the treatment Watts gets from umpires wouldn't be surpirsed if he polled well!!

Pie in the sky type stuff, but:

Premiers: Xavs, agree with comments about depth. Their reserves would have given senior teams a good run for their money.

Runners Up: St Bernards. Have recruited extremely well and will improve under Rock. Good group around Caven and co.

Woodrow: Pattison (Blacks). Blacks have strengthened midfield, meaning better delivery. About time a big bloke won it again.

Improver: Given I have Bernards as runners up who narrowly avoided relgation last year, they're my pick. I also think that Brighton and Trinity will be extremely competitive, much like Blacks last year. I thik we'll see another extremely even year. Blues were desperately unlucky to be related last year with 6 and a half wins.

Slider: De La, unless they have recruited some tall timber, teams will look to further expose them in this department this year. Blacks will also slide. Were very lucky to win so many tight games early in the year and were exposed in the second half of the season.

Best Forward: Mentiplay (Brighton). One of the most consistent forwards over a good period of time. Rate him highly.

Good work to those having a crack.

Premiers Xavs. A class above the rest

Runner Up Blacks.

Woodrow Patterson (UB) Huge unit and impossible for the umps to miss. Almost unstoppable at this level if ‘on’

Improver Bernies & Beaumaris. Like others based on what I have heard about recruits. Having said that that this might be balanced by departures but I guess time will tell.

Sliders Using the rationale that you needed to have been near to the top to fall I would reluctantly nominate St Bedes. Achieved an enormous amount last year but had a great run with injuries. I believe they only used around 34 players. If, like some clubs they turned over 45 – 50 they would have been in all sorts as there depth was a big problem. Obviously some understandable queries on De La but I can advise that they have some good ins, including some much needed height and an outstanding new coach. I caution against writing them off just yet!

Best Forward Brendan Goss. Opportunist who is as good on the air as he is below the knees. A difficult match up.

Best defender Tom Humphrey. I see him most weeks but bias aside I understand that he is universally rated by the best forwards and being their toughest opponent so that’s good enough for me.

I'll have a go at a few of these: -

Premiers Xavs. You'd be stupid to put anyone else at the start of each season.

Runner Up Blacks. Their recruits more than make up for their outs from what i know.

Improver St Bernards. They are moving in the right direction that's for sure. If Collegians dodge the injuries of last season then they will move up a few spots from 8th. Most other teams will finish around the same mark. I dont know enough about the teams coming up to suggest where they will finish, but have a funny feeling that Old Brighton may surprise many.

Sliders I'm thinking Scotch. Sure they have picked up quality in Jack Bull, but Jamieson and Barlow are big shoes to fill. Purely speculation at this stage as not all clearances are through though. St Bedes also a chance to drop off.

Best Forward Brendan Goss. If Rambo goes around again, he'll still finish in the top 2-3 goal kickers provided he can play enough games. He's 6 foot 7 inches (or thereabouts) of 'accidental' elbows just waiting to line the opposition up. Very hard match up.

Premiers: Old Xaverians

Runners Up: Uni Blacks

Final 4: Old Xavs, Uni Blacks, St Bernard's, St Bedes Mentone Tigers

Improvers: Beaumaris, St Bernard's

Sliders: De La Salle, Old Scotch

Woodrow: Kennedy (OXavs)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premier : Uni Blacks
Xavs will be around the money
The 2 sides who may struggle this year will be De La & Scotch and Rooster24 says, St Bede's did have a very good run with injuries last year and their 2nds used to get belted.
An on baller will win the Woodrow.
Bernard's seem to have attracted a few from out West but what is the quality like? If they were any good they would still be playing for huge money in those leagues - $1000+ per game.
Midfield depth is crucial this year and some sides just dont have the quality 6 or 7 blokes who can run through there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see that Sports Support has listed it's 10 greatest VAFA players from the last 10 years (not sure how they came up with the list), and asked people to give their top 3.

Daniel Byrne
Tim Ockleshaw
Ben Dowd
Andrew Ramsden
Cameron Howat
Brett Voss
Jack Watts
Nick Wynne
Ross Young
Nick Ries

Thoughts? Who else should be considered? Remember they are only looking at the last 10 years.

I see that Sports Support has listed it's 10 greatest VAFA players from the last 10 years (not sure how they came up with the list), and asked people to give their top 3.

Daniel Byrne
Tim Ockleshaw
Ben Dowd
Andrew Ramsden
Cameron Howat
Brett Voss
Jack Watts
Nick Wynne
Ross Young
Nick Ries

Thoughts? Who else should be considered? Remember they are only looking at the last 10 years.

I think this is a pretty good line up. my top three are:
1. Daniel Byrne
2. Andrew Ramsden
3. Cameron Howat

I think this is a pretty good line up. my top three are:
1. Daniel Byrne
2. Andrew Ramsden
3. Cameron Howat
Ill throw a few out there-Brendan Iezzi, Ryan Colbert, Julian Rowe, Matthew Kempton, Leigh Fletcher,Andy Biddlecombe and i am sure there are some more
from the original list
Tim Ockleshaw
Cameron Howat
Danny Byrne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back