Premier A - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Dropped into Toorak Park on Saturday and caught the last quarter. Very few recognisable players from either side other than the BIG FERG BURGER running around for the lions.

His return to football slipped through to the keeper.

Gee I hope he doesn't send another team to B Grade.

Might have been missed on BF but not to astute VAFA followers. Has turned out for the Lions ressies in their practice games and his return has been touted elsewhere. How did he look? Was never them most agile bloke even in his younger days but could take a grab and knew how to kick a goal.

Ben Taylor to Uni Blues is downright disturbing for the rest of the comp. They are already loaded with top end talent and will take some beating.

FWIW remarkably they are still $10 on Sportsbet!......FWIW encourages responsible gambling

In a couple of weeks...try now!

Agree that Blues are scary good. Also knew about the Ferg.
Crozier set to play next week is my mail.

The scary thing with the Blues midfield is George Cameron didn't play on the weekend. He won the Morrish Medal in 2013 in the TAC Cup.

Unfortunately Cathcart at Beauy did his ACL in the 1st half of Saturday's game and is out for the season. Huge blow and given their other player losses (Petering, Casey-Leigh, Nash, Grange....) they are going to find it a big ask to stay up. Some real quality missing from last year's line up.

Unfortunately Cathcart at Beauy did his ACL in the 1st half of Saturday's game and is out for the season. Huge blow and given their other player losses (Petering, Casey-Leigh, Nash, Grange....) they are going to find it a big ask to stay up. Some real quality missing from last year's line up.

Massive blow for the Sharks. Cathcart is a great player and after Raph Clarke probably their best player. (Is Tom Dean still running around?)

However all is not lost. De La proved last year what can be done with an astute coach and a bit of ticker. 28 players who represented the club at senior level in 2013 where not there in 2014 and they managed to survive.

Massive blow for the Sharks. Cathcart is a great player and after Raph Clarke probably their best player. (Is Tom Dean still running around?)

However all is not lost. De La proved last year what can be done with an astute coach and a bit of ticker. 28 players who represented the club at senior level in 2013 where not there in 2014 and they managed to survive.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard about De La's heroic 2014 season....

Round 2:
Old Scotch v De La: De La played potentially the best team in the comp in Rd.1. Scotch have lost their past two round 2's after surprising victories in rd.1. De La by 3 goals.
Old Carey v Uni Blacks: Carey are dangerous in the early rounds before injuries kick in. Carey to catch Blacks off guard in the early part of the season.
Collegians v Trinity: Great match up. Both reasonably young teams that attack off half-back. Trinity by a goal
Uni Blues v Beaumaris: Blues at home by 10 goals.
Old Xavs v St Bernards: Match of the round? Don't know much about Xavs this year. St.Bernards to win by a 9 points.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard about De La's heroic 2014 season....

No matter how you slice it Party Boy it was bloody good effort on their part. Looks like the Sharks may have to show similar resolve to stay up, albeit their player losses are nowhere near as extreme.

My honest assessment of De La. They will be better than 2014 but aside from probably Xavier Murphy their recruits are mostly solid ‘A’ grade footballers. These days in order to compete with the very best teams you need more than that. By contrast amongst a host of quality Uni Blues inclusions were Ross Young, a player with ALF experience who was dominant in the VFL last season and Piers Flanagan who spent 2- 3 years on the Gold Coast Suns list. He is the absolute prototype modern footballer, tall athletic and has elite kicking skills. At various stages they will lose a few to the VFL but they look a very good side.

The competition seems to have gone to another level and I can’t remember when so many AFL or well-credentialed VFL players have come in at the one time.

No matter how you slice it Party Boy it was bloody good effort on their part. Looks like the Sharks may have to show similar resolve to stay up, albeit their player losses are nowhere near as extreme.

My honest assessment of De La. They will be better than 2014 but aside from probably Xavier Murphy their recruits are mostly solid ‘A’ grade footballers. These days in order to compete with the very best teams you need more than that. By contrast amongst a host of quality Uni Blues inclusions were Ross Young, a player with ALF experience who was dominant in the VFL last season and Piers Flanagan who spent 2- 3 years on the Gold Coast Suns list. He is the absolute prototype modern footballer, tall athletic and has elite kicking skills. At various stages they will lose a few to the VFL but they look a very good side.

The competition seems to have gone to another level and I can’t remember when so many AFL or well-credentialed VFL players have come in at the one time.

Flanagan doesnt have a great fitness record. Struggles to string games together......ripper player for A Premier grade though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that it means much in the scheme of things, but I notice that Trent Croad has put in a transfer to the Peninsula FL.

Not that it means much in the scheme of things, but I notice that Trent Croad has put in a transfer to the Peninsula FL.

An assistant role to ex Hawks teammate Brent Guerra I believe. Has played 2 minutes of football since 2008 and that unfortunately end very badly. If he does decide to have a kick I hope it goes well. Was fantastic in the pre-season at De La and is was sad his comeback ended so abruptly.

Brad Sewell to Uni Blues - time to call the mercy rule as this is getting bloody ridiculous!

Inside info? Not on website yet.
FWIW surely his user name of Mugavin is a give away??? Under Bedford's policy, Uni Blues would be banned from the comp for this sort of recruiting. Unsportsmanlike behaviour being proactive and using your network to attract quality players.
P.S. Is my $12 Blues still available at Sportsbet???

FWIW surely his user name of Mugavin is a give away??? Under Bedford's policy, Uni Blues would be banned from the comp for this sort of recruiting. Unsportsmanlike behaviour being proactive and using your network to attract quality players.
P.S. Is my $12 Blues still available at Sportsbet???

Unlikely. He is a Lions supporter. His old man and uncle played Fitzroy and cousin, Jonathon, the lions...

FWIW watched the VAFA's footy tragics show last night. A few questions if I may:
1. Where are they?
2. What is with the white table cloths?
3. What is with Andrew Leonards shirt?
4. What is with Marty Kellehers hands and dumbfounded looks?
Overall not a bad show with big Fitzy knowing his stuff and giving great facial expressions when he thinks someone is full of sht.
Personally I think we need to get someone like Canada, Rooster, Brian, Max Leader or even the great Jascave on there as well to help lift the VAFA knowledge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back