Premier A - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

It's tough, but understandable that money is a draw card for some good players. Sure it's no G Ablett, T Boyd type coin, but its pretty good.
Guessing for those type of guys to go it ain't just a couple of hundy a game.
Div 3 clubs have lost reserves players for hundreds a game. Funny how it works.

Argh yes, the white goods and old school tie. It's well known that a Premier A flag was won on coin, promise of jobs and white goods. Another won on coin, one club failed to get past students back as another club paid great $. At the time HQ knew something was smelly but lacked the determination to prove it.

Plenty of other A flags won on pure greed whereby a lovely fellow walked away from his club and has never returned simply stating that expenses got out of control.

Again I ask the Q. Should the Amos reject all recruits from professional leagues ? Aim to be true Amos.

The issue needs to be addressed at club and board level.

The problem HQ faces is being competitive in the showcase games against country etc
Final word. If u leave Amos for pros there isn't any open door to return. Your done finished, exception being coming back direct from AFL

You're raising the same arguments pro and con for the Olympics. Tennis / basketball / hockey yadda yadda. Once even the merest sniff of coin and you were pretty much banned for life. But is that the solution? I have absolutely no doubt that there are many very talented footballers running around for VAFA clubs who are there FTLOTG, not for the love of the paper bags and whitegoods.

I overheard a D3 coach tell a recruit, "Of course we can't pay you, but if your girlfriend wants a nice coat and it costs $600, just let us know." You can't pretend that doesn't happen.

In some ways its a circular argument; there are always going to be people who do not have the purest motives, and always idealists who think everyone shares their view of the competition.

Its the rock that nobody wants turned over, the tree that shouldn't be shaken, the worm can that mustn't be opened.

Certainly not to the extent that some would have us believe.

OTP, it is prevalent especially in the higher grades and it has been going on for a long time. Park side paid players for years and the money was paid by the Vice President of the Amos at the time.

Banyule are currently chasing a player in A grade, we have offered in a match payment, however, have been told that his current club are paying his uni fees so we will have to match it as well

OTP, it is prevalent especially in the higher grades and it has been going on for a long time. Park side paid players for years and the money was paid by the Vice President of the Amos at the time.

Banyule are currently chasing a player in A grade, we have offered in a match payment, however, have been told that his current club are paying his uni fees so we will have to match it as well
Fees are an interesting matter. Rumours are rife about a couple of clubs offering scholarships to kids should they - of their own volition of course - feel inclined to commit to the old boys team.

Very hard for the executive to garner sufficient evidence of other forms of inducement if it's done well.

Are you serious? You're associated with Banyule and you're telling the world you are offering money to players!!!

Are you serious? You're associated with Banyule and you're telling the world you are offering money to players!!!

Banyule now part of the NFL not VAFA so I guess they can offer what they want to who they want.

Having said that for the sake of the vast majority of clubs who do the right thing and get raped every year by the paying leagues I trust they will be contacting VAFA HQ with details of this player and club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, in keeping with some sentiments in this thread, what's his value?:eek:

If it came down to $ we would have no chance. He obviously attracted some very lucrative offers from the paying leagues but as I understand it was only ever going to play at De La or not at all. A very close family and the chance to play with his 2 brothers was the motivating factor. Both the returning Murphy’s have employment already so nothing more to this than fulfilling a desire to play with his old school and his brothers. I believe there is a younger Murphy who looks a likely type also. Expected to play some TAC cup this years as a bottom ager.

Every league has its own level, same as it does in some cricket associations. Say a club has a cap of 120 points, where a AFL player is say 20, VFL 15, major country league or VAFA Premier 12 and downsize from there. Juniors no points, as long as they have come through your club, returning juniors that have played higher , say half those points. AM that's just a quick example, but it could work. Its a disgrace that some leagues have say 2 or 3 clubs that pay way over. Just for an example in the O&M, Albury and Yarrawonga pay triple what others do and obviously quite a few schoolboy clubs exploit it by their networks, which they could still do, but these players would get higher points.

After an impressive season at Uni Blacks. Big bodied midfielder/half forward Angus Locke has signed a deal with junior club Holbrook. It is believed close mate Brent Sheahan is also apart of the deal.

After an impressive season at Uni Blacks. Big bodied midfielder/half forward Angus Locke has signed a deal with junior club Holbrook. It is believed close mate Brent Sheahan is also apart of the deal.

From what I hear ( and before Darwin goes off his nut!) Uni Blacks look like losing between 4 - 6 Prem players, includ retirees.
Just strong rumors at this stage, maybe New Map can shed some more light??

From what I hear ( and before Darwin goes off his nut!) Uni Blacks look like losing between 4 - 6 Prem players, includ retirees.
Just strong rumors at this stage, maybe New Map can shed some more light??
From what I've heard recently, I'd tend to agree. I'd only go off my but if you started saying crap like, "because they arent willing to pay then enough". Not too many year go by at the Uni where you don't lose 4-6 of your best 22 though. It's how you replace them!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back