Premier B - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I would've thought Trevor Barker Oval, Sandringham was going to host the Premier B Grand Final this year. Very strange decision by the VAFA to have the grand final at Sportscover Arena. Last year I went to the Premier Grand Final, and thought 'that's it, the last ever VAFA Grand Final to be played at Elsternwick Park/Sportscover Arena.' I've been proved wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AJAX very good on Sat, no surprise they're pushing for a spot in the 4. If 2-4 slip up, The Jackas ready to pounce. As far as finals venue is concerned, both teams have to play at a given venue on a given day so it's irrelevant, but you'd think they'd want 1 of the most important games played at a venue worthy. Sportscover clearly is not, not an opinion, just ask the guys wallowing through a sewerage last year.

It's clearly scheduled to maximise the chances of SKOB not winning the flag.

On that basis, I support the move. :D

Isn’t Gilham a Whitefriars Old Boy? Any chance he might return to his roots if SKOB get the Chocolates this year? I know that St Francis Xavier are very keen for Salopek to join his alumni in driving their re-build. Sadly this looks most unlikely while they remain in the lower grades.

Would be very hard to get people to leave a team going from B to A IMO.
Unless they choke and stay in B.

Would be very hard to get people to leave a team going from B to A IMO.
Unless they choke and stay in B.

True but for some ammo players being able to prove yourself in ‘A’ grade is a significant achievement. But if you have played at the highest level like Gilham and Salopek you don’t have anything to prove. Perhaps after banking a flag they might be more included to return to their roots?

True but for some ammo players being able to prove yourself in ‘A’ grade is a significant achievement. But if you have played at the highest level like Gilham and Salopek you don’t have anything to prove. Perhaps after banking a flag they might be more included to return to their roots?

Aren't they best mates?

Aren't they best mates?

I really don’t know that much about them. Where they went to school suggests they likely grew up in different parts of Melbourne but I guess it’s possible. SKOB Football or Brian Speaking would know the connection

One thing for sure is their old school teams would prefer they played with them rather than at SKOBs.

Last edited:
Isn’t Gilham a Whitefriars Old Boy? Any chance he might return to his roots if SKOB get the Chocolates this year? I know that St Francis Xavier are very keen for Salopek to join his alumni in driving their re-build. Sadly this looks most unlikely while they remain in the lower grades.

Yep, Gilham is a Friars Old Collegian.

Not a contemporary of mine so I have no idea who he is/was mates with at school. We also have Marc Murphy, Ben Griffiths and Christian Petracca. Not sure if there are any others currently AFL listed.

I'm not aware of any ex-AFL players who have returned to play with the Old Boys once they hung up their professional boots.

Understandable that friendships forged through AFL footy would result in players following their AFL mates, and not back to a D1 old boy set up (particularly if none of your school mates are still playing).

On another note, would anyone care to enlighten those of us in other grades as to what has befallen the Nodders in 2015?

Seemed a solid Premier B unit last season after winning a Premier C flag. Then they change coaches inexplicably and have only won 3 games this year.

Did the decision to go with Heath Black cause a bit of friction amongst the players? Looks like he has taken them backwards a fair way (based on results only of course).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On another note, would anyone care to enlighten those of us in other grades as to what has befallen the Nodders in 2015?

Seemed a solid Premier B unit last season after winning a Premier C flag. Then they change coaches inexplicably and have only won 3 games this year.

Did the decision to go with Heath Black cause a bit of friction amongst the players? Looks like he has taken them backwards a fair way (based on results only of course).

Hedge

Just to correct you. Mazenod lost the C Grade Grade Final.

Earlier in the year young Maskill was playing in their 3rd's now he is playing in their 1's.

Appears to be a mass exodus of quality players.

2's got beaten by 166 points as well.

Happened to us in 2014 and again in 2015, but being in the lower grade enables a good club rebuild. Mazenod are certainly a good club. just having a tough year.

Had the displeasure of wandering down to see a bit of the St Bedes/Parkdale game yesterday, decided to take my young daughter for a look. Well that was a mistake.

In over 30 years of watching ammo footy I don't think I have personally witnessed such poor behavior. A bloke, maybe 50yrs old repeatedly shouted to one of our St Bedes players that he was a weak C*nt. This would have gone on for 10 minutes. He was fully aware of how many very young children were around. When confronted and asked to stop with the language he replied with "I can say whatever the f*ck I want". Then again at 3qtr time as he jumped the fence to head to the huddle he was mouthing off that he really hoped they beat these useless cu*nts.

Probably paints a picture of Parkdale Vultures and where they are at. No idea who this bloke was but he was well dressed in club attire, on face value didn't look like a feral but it may go a little way towards showing why the club are no good and have a horrendous club culture, for not one of the 50 odd Vultures fans around him to attempt to pull him in to line was just as bad. Its pretty clear why they hate St Bedes/Mentone, must be jealous of a successful club and disappointed that even if they stay in B Grade this year, they really are at best a C grade club both on and off the field.

Had the displeasure of wandering down to see a bit of the St Bedes/Parkdale game yesterday, decided to take my young daughter for a look. Well that was a mistake.

In over 30 years of watching ammo footy I don't think I have personally witnessed such poor behavior. A bloke, maybe 50yrs old repeatedly shouted to one of our St Bedes players that he was a weak C*nt. This would have gone on for 10 minutes. He was fully aware of how many very young children were around. When confronted and asked to stop with the language he replied with "I can say whatever the f*ck I want". Then again at 3qtr time as he jumped the fence to head to the huddle he was mouthing off that he really hoped they beat these useless cu*nts.

Probably paints a picture of Parkdale Vultures and where they are at. No idea who this bloke was but he was well dressed in club attire, on face value didn't look like a feral but it may go a little way towards showing why the club are no good and have a horrendous club culture, for not one of the 50 odd Vultures fans around him to attempt to pull him in to line was just as bad. Its pretty clear why they hate St Bedes/Mentone, must be jealous of a successful club and disappointed that even if they stay in B Grade this year, they really are at best a C grade club both on and off the field.
We experienced similar behaviour at Ajax v Fitzroy with disgusting language and extremely aggressive behaviour from an Ajax official, standing with several other Ajax officials centre stage on the balcony above the electronic scoreboard. There were many young kids and families there, elderly supporters and the general public who don't want to be subjected to that type of behaviour. My friend was one of many to ask him to curb the language only to be told your a f**kng pig, He was an absolute disgrace and the other Ajax officials around him by not attempting to pull him into line were just as bad...... you can hear the verbal abuse for yourself on the VAFATV audio 2nd QTR

A putrid club with a putrid culture going back to the old SESFL days. Imagine that same behaviour magnified by the effects of alcohol. For me banning grog during the senior game is one the best things about the VAFA. However drawing a comparison with St Bedes is dangerous as the Vultures are stacked with ex St Bedes players and students from top to bottom.

Over the years some good people have tried to clean up that club but gave up in despair. While unlikely to happen they would be a good fit for the SFL I reckon.

There is a perfectly logical reason for this.In the old days you had the Mentone v Parkdale rivalry(hate)in the somewhat robust Federal League.At the same time you had the St.Bedes O.C. v Mentone YCW(aka St.Pat's)rivalry in the YCW.If you were to do a little tracing of family lines 40 years hence the divide still exists.Must give credit though,i always liked the St.Pat's jumper design!

Went to this game on the weekend and it was hard to watch. The best way to describe it was men vs boys. Mazenod looked so young and SKOBs were just bigger and stronger. I don't think I've watched a game where the ball went into a forward line less than it did for the Nodders - I would say they would have had 15 inside 50s for the game - and that's been generous. SKOBs skills were elite for this level and were a far better side than the one I saw vs Fitzroy.
Talking to some of the Nodder faithful, they have a horrid run with injuries with losing probably 6 of their best players with injury or travel. To add to this the core group of youngsters that they thought were going to serve them well unexpectedly took off overseas mid year.
In regards to the coach, from what I gathered, the jury is out at the moment. I don't think he has completely endeared himself to the playing group with his harsh style but also his lack of coaching experience, particularly in the VAFA, has been an issue.
They are in a tough spot the Nodders as they had worked so hard to get the club back on track but these results couldn't be helping their cause to retain their injured guns for next year. Good club though - massive game ahead for them vs Caulfield.
St Kevins will win the flag by 10+ goals - but if they choke, they'll win by 5. Best B Grade side I have seen.

Probably would be a good idea to give the Premier B Grand Final a miss this year. Could be a foregone conclusion.

On this occasion AM...I don't.
I think SKOB would be sitting third in A right now if they were in A.
There is nothing between 3-9 in A Grade this year, and if you have a read of names and creds in the SKOB outfit up against a DLS or a Xavs then I think it would be hard to imagine them not being a stronger side. And perhaps by quite a few snags.

Agree Canada .They are clearly the best side in Prem 'B' and based on the form I've seen in Prem 'A' this year there aren't many who would beat them there. If they can hold their list together they will be a force next year in Prem 'A'. Still sad you've gone to water on your prediction though - albeit a facetious one.:D

Could someone from VAFA HQ give us a reason as to why the VAFA Premier B Grand Final will be at Sportscover Arena, and not the better credentialed Trevor Barker Oval or IKON Park, Carlton? Would've been better to have the Premier B/Premier Grand Finals both at Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back