Review Preseason hit out against Dons and Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone judging our midfield on that performance should look at the centre bounce attendances.

Essendon's main four mids in Parish, Merrett, Durham and Setterfield attended 69 centre bounces between them. Caldwell was the only other small with 6 attendances. Every centre bounce was 3 of these 5 plus a ruckman.

Danger, Atkins, Bowes and Blicavs are our 4 most mature mids who were out there today (I don't consider a Duncan a mid even though he went through there).They only attended 26 centre bounces on total.

Clark, Bruhn and Holmes are easily younger than any of the centre square mids that Essendon went with. They attended 38 centre bounces between them.

Essendon were doing a tune up for their round 1 midfield. We were using it as a chance to accelerate Clark and Bruhn's development.

Not sure how much to take from the improved ending to the game and coming from behind. Essendon lost Ridley and lost structure down back worse than when we lose Stewart. We used 15 more interchanges, and went over the regular season limit in the process.

But the positives had to be Holmes, Dempsey, Clark and Bowes. Unconvinced by Neale tbh.

So he's in now, you reckon?

Had more game time in the second half as well (77% of the second half compared to 61% in the first half).

Brings great tackling pressure and it was notable how well he releases others from contested situations.

It's not always coming off but he just needs game time at the high level for that to come.
He is 100% worth the investment in game time, but also worth considering if his primary goal should be building strength in the gym and aerobic capacity first while holding him back here and there? What's the best strategy to produce the best version of Jhye Clark we can?

Anyone judging our midfield on that performance should look at the centre bounce attendances.

Essendon's main four mids in Parish, Merrett, Durham and Setterfield attended 69 centre bounces between them. Caldwell was the only other small with 6 attendances. Every centre bounce was 3 of these 5 plus a ruckman.

Danger, Atkins, Bowes and Blicavs are our 4 most mature mids who were out there today (I don't consider a Duncan a mid even though he went through there).They only attended 26 centre bounces on total.

Clark, Bruhn and Holmes are easily younger than any of the centre square mids that Essendon went with. They attended 38 centre bounces between them.

Essendon were doing a tune up for their round 1 midfield. We were using it as a chance to accelerate Clark and Bruhn's development.
Good point, and well backed up but I don't rate Essendons midfield and never have. We've always bullied them.

Not sure how much to take from the improved ending to the game and coming from behind. Essendon lost Ridley and lost structure down back worse than when we lose Stewart. We used 15 more interchanges, and went over the regular season limit in the process.

But the positives had to be Holmes, Dempsey, Clark and Bowes. Unconvinced by Neale tbh.

Neale just strikes me as a “gunna” - physically looks a million dollars but maybe he just lacks a bit of class? I’m not writing him off at all - he’s still only a kid and talls take time - but I’d want to see some more improvement over the season.

Geelong assistant coach Steven King said livewire forward Gary Rohan – who’s on the comeback trail from a back injury – is likely to miss round one and return through the VFL, but Ollie Henry (rolled ankle) will be right to go.
"He's starting to get back into it now, he's just been a little bit delayed to everyone else, but he's following his plan so we're really happy with where Gaz is," King said.
"He'll probably struggle to play round one, he'll probably get his first hitout that week, leading into it with a little bit of VFL footy."

Neale you can see has already improved dramatically in the air
Another season and he’ll be right to go
I think his improvement in contested marking is pretty linear, just graduand getting better over time. You can see some grabs today and against the Bulldogs last year that he just would not have taken 18 months ago.

He's just getting physically stronger and better able to impact those contests. He'll keep getting better at it over time too

Even last week we seen improvements
I’m not saying he’s perfect
I’m saying you can see the improvements
Gee Calder, I love your work but I didn't see anything at all ... He was very disappointing...
Ill still be rooting for Neale and hope he gets games, but tonight's game there wasn't much to like

The kid has “ just needs time.

I personally think he should have been given a few more full games last year when he was flying in the VFL.

I think Neale is pretty ordinary in the air.

Especially for a monster 203cm guy.
Dempsey has improved. Lock for rnd1.

Neale did nothing to justify his spot come round one. Actually showed poor contested marking and weak hands overhead.

I agree.
Some of delivery into the forward line didn’t help the cause, but when he went into the ruck he was a liability.
Until Hawkins retires, his best chance of getting a games is as fwd/relief ruck. He simply has to improve his ruck craft for that to happen.
Yeah I just don't think he's a ruck and won't be

Also, Goldy wouldn't have made him look good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had 2 marks and 4 touches.

One attempt he had the sit, missed the ball and falconed himself.

A few other times he failed to really crash a pack when he had the opportunity.

I want him to be good, but he just wasn’t.

He still has a long long way to go.

Hopefully he gets there… but I think we will need to chase a key forward in the next couple years.
This.

Was very keen to see him Dempsey Clark holmes bruhn and managh today.

Neale- just lacked ability to pull it off in the end… was weak overhead, lacked presence and strength in the air. He got himself into some ok positions but to me he looks like an athlete who is just an ok talented footy player. Really not impressed with what I saw.

Dempsey- has taken his game to another level. Showing a lot of skill and strength that is up to AFL level where as before he was too lean. Has incredible X factor and very dangerous 1v1. Lock for round 1. Like his work also getting up and down the ground.

Bruhn- disappointing. Got an absolute bath early on against parish and merett around the contest. Was a part of the mix that got off to a start of something like 10 clearances to 1 against… he ended up working his way to 20 touches, but had periods where he was just blown off the park by his opponent. Need to see alot more improvement.

Clark- very impressed, 17 touches 10 contested possessions, seemed to be up and about the second half when we stormed over them. Goes in and under and loves it physical. Simply needs to play each week at AFL level and he will be an A grader.

Holmes- looks elite off HB and could be looking at his first AA blazer and a big pay packet. Not many will be able to deal with his speed.

Managh- very impressed with his decision making and poise. Knows what to do with the ball in hand and is a very smart player.

Bruhn- disappointing. Got an absolute bath early on against parish and merett around the contest. Was a part of the mix that got off to a start of something like 10 clearances to 1 against… he ended up working his way to 20 touches, but had periods where he was just blown off the park by his opponent. Need to see alot more improvement.

Clark- very impressed, 17 touches 10 contested possessions, seemed to be up and about the second half when we stormed over them. Goes in and under and loves it physical. Simply needs to play each week at AFL level and he will be an A grader.
If Bruhn was blown off the park in the 10-1 run then Clark was vaporised. Glad he improved in the second half because he got bullied at the clearances early.

I found Clark to be better in the contest during more dynamic play, at stoppages his direct opponent often lost him and got easy ball.

Our midfield has promise but will struggle against class. I prefer Holmes on wing than in the guts.

Mullin needs to play VFL until he knows what he is doing and can then leverage his natural physical assets. Right now just doesn't seem like a footballer.

If we don't overuse it going forward we still look good.

We didn't handle them having the extra tall in defence well.

The 2022 draft/trade haul gives us something to look forward to. We only got a taste test last year.

O.Henry, Bowes, Bruhn and Clark - plenty to work with there.

Bruhn's disposal/decision making is on the up and Clark should follow the same track with more time at AFL level.

Let's hope Bowes is the revelation he is showing potential to be in pre season.

And we know what O.Henry can give us, but he has plenty to improve on as well.
If Bruhn was blown off the park in the 10-1 run then Clark was vaporised. Glad he improved in the second half because he got bullied at the clearances early.
Luckily we don't just measure a game off a quarter.

Both Bruhn and Clark offered plenty by the end. Our midfield broke even for clearances and tended to make smarter decisions with the ball.

Different expectations for both jester. One is a fourth year 50+ game mid and the other is a 19yo who has played 1 qtr of AFL footy.

Bruhn is supposed to be leading our midfield brigade, Clark isn’t.

I didn’t see the game but was excited to see how bowes went in the midfield.

Reading here it seems he didn’t come on until after half time, but then put in a solid performance? Do we think he’ll be playing midfield round 1? Playing somewhere else (half back)? Or not in the 23?

He looked classy in match sim against Carlton. So I’m a little surprised he didn’t get much of a run today, especially when they didn’t really manage anyone else. On the surface that seems an indicator he’s still got a bit of work to do.

I didn’t see the game but was excited to see how bowes went in the midfield.

Reading here it seems he didn’t come on until after half time, but then put in a solid performance? Do we think he’ll be playing midfield round 1? Playing somewhere else (half back)? Or not in the 23?

He looked classy in match sim against Carlton. So I’m a little surprised he didn’t get much of a run today, especially when they didn’t really manage anyone else. On the surface that seems an indicator he’s still got a bit of work to do.
Bowes came on late and was a jet, admittedly among tired players - 13 touches and lots of good involvements from 30% game time.

I'd be shocked if he didn't play in round 1. Midfield/wing primarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back