Review Preseason hit out against Dons and Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t see the game but was excited to see how bowes went in the midfield.

Reading here it seems he didn’t come on until after half time, but then put in a solid performance? Do we think he’ll be playing midfield round 1? Playing somewhere else (half back)? Or not in the 23?

He looked classy in match sim against Carlton. So I’m a little surprised he didn’t get much of a run today, especially when they didn’t really manage anyone else. On the surface that seems an indicator he’s still got a bit of work to do.

I hope he plays mid, he's in that prime age and mature body we need around the contest and a good user of the footy.

It probably doesn't impact this year much cause he's still a teenager and probably too young to take impact as a mid but Jhye Clark has been the biggest positive of the preseason. He's hard as they come, really quality on the inside and has the cleanest hands imaginable.

I saw nothing last year to get excited by. Two preseason games this year and I'm penciling him in for 250+ games and multiple all Australians.

Different expectations for both jester. One is a fourth year 50+ game mid and the other is a 19yo who has played 1 qtr of AFL footy.

Bruhn is supposed to be leading our midfield brigade, Clark isn’t.
I don't know that Bruhn is supposed to be leading the midfield either. Only about 20 of those games he actually played midfield. He was a forward at gws

Bowes came on late and was a jet, admittedly among tired players - 13 touches and lots of good involvements from 30% game time.

I'd be shocked if he didn't play in round 1. Midfield/wing primarily.

That was my hope too. What do you think was the rationale for the limited game time today then?

I didn’t see the game but was excited to see how bowes went in the midfield.

Reading here it seems he didn’t come on until after half time, but then put in a solid performance? Do we think he’ll be playing midfield round 1? Playing somewhere else (half back)? Or not in the 23?

He looked classy in match sim against Carlton. So I’m a little surprised he didn’t get much of a run today, especially when they didn’t really manage anyone else. On the surface that seems an indicator he’s still got a bit of work to do.
I just can't see a reason that he wasn't played sooner other than he's already locked in for round 1, and we wanted to get a look at some other names.

Our CBA attendance would suggest that too, with our 1-2-3 rotation of Danger, Atkins & Blitz getting limited opportunities.

Scott loves him, Danger adores him (if anyone caught the 3AW interview during the week, that's pretty clear) and he's showing form in our one weak area of the ground.

I'd assume it has to be him, Danger & Atkins in the first round 1 bounce, but we could see something different.

There's always the idea that if he played the whole game, had 30+, then he'd no longer be 'under the radar so to speak. It's unlikely that was the case, but he's a different thinker is our coach.

Many of us are now expecting a pretty-very good midfield season from him (at least sans Guthrie), but I can't imagine many neutrals are, or that any opposition clubs are.

I guess we're just lucky so far with our health that we're starting to see the much fabled depth that we were supposed to have last year.

Bruhn was barely in the middle early. I've watched the first 6 centre bounces and he's only in 1. He wins the contested ball and gives it off to Neale who makes a bad decision to try and give it back to Bruhn and turns it over.

If we hadn't completely messed up 2 really easy centre clearances (the Neale one then Danger being run down when out in the open) the midfield battle would've looked pretty even in the first quarter.

It was a bit of a head scratcher. Maybe they just wanted him to have a lighter game load as they got more minutes into Clark and Bruhn? Last week he was certainly on the field a lot more.
Particularly Clark, as he's in a long list of Mannagh, Dempsey, Neale, & Mullin and so on who appear to be fighting for that 21st or 22nd spot.

He deserved a shot to get a full game in his natural position as a bit of a dress rehearsal.

Many of us would prefer that we just left MOC out and made the whole thing simple, but sometimes we can't have nice things.

I don't know that Bruhn is supposed to be leading the midfield either. Only about 20 of those games he actually played midfield. He was a forward at gws
Four pre seasons in the gym, fitness track and 50+ games. I am expecting him to step up. Admittedly 5th year seems to be the sweet honey spot for most mids, but the elite ones seem to be well and truly good players in fourth season.

3 contested grabs for Dempsey.

The kid has hands.

He was electric and has potential to be a human highlight reel.

15 touches from him was also decent.

If his body can get big/strong enough he could be a very dynamic, high flying, goal kicking midfielder.

Zuthrie = mini Stewart.
Dempsey = mini Fyfe.
Mannagh = mini human

Yep this was the better balance. Blicavs offered plenty around the ball as the match went on, complimenting the kids well. Bowes, Bruhn, Clark and Holmes connected well so it's something I'd like to see more of.

Intensity wise it was a weird game. We went half paced the first half, then Essendon did as the match went down the final stretch. When we had Clark and Bruhn on the ground more, with Bowes added, we certainly looked better.

We did go better thankfully. That first quarter had bomber forwards loose everywhere- many easy leads stupidly ignored by their own players. Our defence initially shambolic, I'm sitting there thinking of future slaughter. Not really noticeable on replay, but more early holes than swiss cheese.

I'll add the pressure from Managh, a short role is better than a long loaf. Even enjoyed the free he gave away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a bit of a head scratcher. Maybe they just wanted him to have a lighter game load as they got more minutes into Clark and Bruhn? Last week he was certainly on the field a lot more.
Preseason is a time to sow not harvest. Clark and Bruhn together is planting a seed

Four pre seasons in the gym, fitness track and 50+ games. I am expecting him to step up. Admittedly 5th year seems to be the sweet honey spot for most mids, but the elite ones seem to be well and truly good players in fourth season.
Yeah but I find the expectation weird because we didn't give up an elite pick for him. Like Parfitt was selected 5 picks later than the pick we gave up for Bruhn, he's played 70 more games and no one says he should be leading the midfield.

Just because we traded him in doesn't mean we should expect him to be dangerfield.

3 contested grabs for Dempsey.

The kid has hands.

He was electric and has potential to be a human highlight reel.

15 touches from him was also decent.

If his body can get big/strong enough he could be a very dynamic, high flying, goal kicking midfielder.

Zuthrie = mini Stewart.
Dempsey = mini Fyfe.

I have said this before and I will say it again. Dempsey needs to get on the wing.

He had 2 marks and 4 touches.

One attempt he had the sit, missed the ball and falconed himself.

A few other times he failed to really crash a pack when he had the opportunity.

I want him to be good, but he just wasn’t.

He still has a long long way to go.

Hopefully he gets there… but I think we will need to chase a key forward in the next couple years.

Oh ye of little faith.
He had a couple of shots on goal didnt he? Ok failed shots, but break out and get those right and he'll be another Sav overnight media darling. Maybe he should have taken pack crashing lessons from him.
And we know Scotty perseveres with the big uns, which is only right.

He had 2 marks and 4 touches.

One attempt he had the sit, missed the ball and falconed himself.

A few other times he failed to really crash a pack when he had the opportunity.

I want him to be good, but he just wasn’t.

He still has a long long way to go.

Hopefully he gets there… but I think we will need to chase a key forward in the next couple years.

Yeah look some criticism warranted. I thought his first half was pretty good. Had Holmes not played on his free he'd have been 2.1 early.

His contested marking work he definitely flinched one in the 4th but consider the looks he got other otherwise. I counted in the 3rd 4 times he was targeted inside 50. Twice he was in a 2 on 1 and they favoured the third man in. Once he was in a one on one and the short low kick went to his opponents side by over a metre (no one marked it) and the fourth time SDK dropped it 20m in front of him directly to the Essendon player.

I mean, he did a full Houdini in the second half, which is bad. But we also didn't give him much.

So, in short, I like the guy and I'm not hanging a 21 year old kpf on that, but I wouldn't have him in round 1.

I do expect him to play a bit this year though, and I don't have any anxiety about him replacing Hawkins as I think we have bigger problems

Edit: just finished watching the 4th quarter and yeah the Houdini act worried me a bit. But overall I still think he's great odds to be a player

Last edited:
So drunk reflections.

I think Goldy really f*ed with our younger mids. The kids have skills but they don't really have the first couple of steps of acceleration to adapt to being disadvantaged at stoppage like that.

Clark is going to be a very good player for us

If Bowes starts as sub round 1 instead of being in the starting 22 I'll flip my lid

Kolo and MOC looked very rusty. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt given preseason but if that form carries then I'd be looking at jeka.

Dempsey is a player. He needs to be in the side.

Mannagh looked alright. Not at all uncomfortable with the idea he plays rd1

Mullin I love you but vfl for a while

I think Goldy really f*ed with our younger mids. The kids have skills but they don't really have the first couple of steps of acceleration to adapt to being disadvantaged at stoppage like that.
Having a ruckman that could actually tap the ball to our midfielders advantage would be so nice.

Neale just strikes me as a “gunna” - physically looks a million dollars but maybe he just lacks a bit of class? I’m not writing him off at all - he’s still only a kid and talls take time - but I’d want to see some more improvement over the season.

I call him Shannon “Nearly”. Fingers crossed it all clicks and he turns out to be the forward we desperately need for next 10 years.

If he struggles to compete in the air then he might be better to slim down next year and be more of a Blitz/Cameron than a Tom Hawkins.

Otherwise a move down back could be another option where he can use speed to keep close to opponents and punch ball rather than mark it. He is also quite skilled so not a liability when kicking out of defensive 50.

Swap him next year with SDK, especially if O’Sullivan is playing.

Last edited:
Gee Calder, I love your work but I didn't see anything at all ... He was very disappointing...
Ill still be rooting for Neale and hope he gets games, but tonight's game there wasn't much to like
Just stop watching at 1/4 time
People need to understand he’s not getting looked at first or even 2nd
He’s the 3rd option long bomb, many times he has the ball kicked to him 2 and even 3 on 1

Patience Foxtrot

So drunk reflections.

Clark is going to be a very good player for us

If Bowes starts as sub round 1 instead of being in the starting 22 I'll flip my lid

Kolo and MOC looked very rusty. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt given preseason but if that form carries then I'd be looking at jeka.

Dempsey is a player. He needs to be in the side.

Mannagh looked alright. Not at all uncomfortable with the idea he plays rd1

Mullin I love you but vfl for a while

Strange comment considering he didn’t come back on after copping a knock to his back half way through the 2nd quarter

Having a ruckman that could actually tap the ball to our midfielders advantage would be so nice.
It's definitely more pronounced with the kids because I don't think they've got the experience to read oppo taps well enough. Back in the Dangerwood days it rarely hurt us. We really need a Bailey Smith type, even if you don't rate the guys kicking, he would at least add a bit of power

I think the Stanley-Blitz manoeuvre she they alternate and run an oppo ruck ragged can still work, they just didn't try because preseason

Dempsey has so much raw talent. We'll have got something badly wrong from a development level if we can't make a player out of him.

Once he gets past his hesitancy to attack the ball at times, he could be absolutely anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back