QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of those players drive a long way to play there too :)

Yes overall big picture is need to rationalise how many clubs/teams can be supported. But not our call, the call of the smart people in AFLQ office. :)
Yep, and at the end of 2013, aflq said their aim was to have more new clubs in qld ( from memory it was 100 clubs by 2020), so merging clubs won't be high on their list of priorities. It's AFL policy to continue expanding and what they want, they usually get. Change, at all levels, is inevitable.

I get that aflq want to keep expanding which would work in regional areas but like you said in the SE merging clubs would strengthen the game more than building clubs. Doesn't make sense but that's just my opinion

Also wouldn't be surprised if Bond are playing in the qafl in a few years time. They basically have unlimited funding and the Uni will want to make it one of the premier afl clubs on the coast. Like what they've done with rugby although the circumstances are a little different

Yep, and at the end of 2013, aflq said their aim was to have more new clubs in qld ( from memory it was 100 clubs by 2020), so merging clubs won't be high on their list of priorities. It's AFL policy to continue expanding and what they want, they usually get. Change, at all levels, is inevitable.
Yes sad that the number of people playing isn't their priority. Nor the standard of the game, just more new clubs.

in all fairness I was surprised to see spook breaking out of the middle and then that he actually hit me up - thought with a vacant square he might of gone the torp on the run from 70!!

As i said it looks worse then it is and I wont miss any games with it.

Blocker - very much agree with you - now im not against clubs starting out - hell 20 years ago Robina didnt exist and clubs like Coomera have serviced a need - but at what cost? would SES/Logan and Beenleigh have picked up those players that are at Coomera if there was no club? I think its naive to think they wouldnt have found a team to play for. (not stating coomera shouldnt have formed - just using them as an example).

But i think the league needs to look at geographical density of teams in leagues - Its well publicised the drop off from 16's to 18's to senior level footy - I think offering people varying grades of competition is a better alternative to getting more cash out of them in fees but seeing them struggle.

If Bond went up you have them, Cooly, Burleigh, Robina all within a 20km radius and although great for away games - i think it weakens the teams.

The Eastern Football League has 40 clubs in 20 km radius, strong League although they have automatic relegation and promotion which in my opinion makes for a stronger comp. If AFLQ restructured comps to have relegation and promotion football would grow and become stronger in SEQ.

The Eastern Football League has 40 clubs in 20 km radius, strong League although they have automatic relegation and promotion which in my opinion makes for a stronger comp. If AFLQ restructured comps to have relegation and promotion football would grow and become stronger in SEQ.
there is a lot of things Vic footy has over QLD - the comparison is almost a waste of time.

interested in your your thoughts that relegation / promotion would make SEQ footy stronger - how exactly? that almost implies clubs at the bottom of the ladders dont try, or if they knew they could be relegated they could magically produce players from places they are probably already looking at, that are bare to avoid relegation.

Backhand payments, under the table payments, or third party payments or whatever you want to call it are rife in Vic Amatuers. It is impossible for some clubs to compete. VFA are looking to implement a cap on player payments to try and regulate it and make the comp fairer - but good luck that stopping what goes on.

For me every league and sport that has a forced relegation / promotion system in place yearly simply just encourages the rich clubs to spend more to ensure they are still dominant and all that does is make the gap wider between the haves and have nots.

I think AFLQ have done the right thing in saying they will assess leagues after a 3 year period - simply going up or down on yearly results in a place like QLD that has such a transient footy culture I think is a bad idea.

Coming from WA, they don't have the same set up as here, they have multiple leagues all affiliated with the WAFC which also owns the two AFL teams. Under the WAFC is the WAFL for the top tie, I guess similar to the NEAFL. Then separate again is the Amateur league. Beyond those two leagues is the Western Australian Country Leagues. All the leagues are affiliated with the WAFC but are independent and teams don't normally move much between the leagues. Each League will have its own several divisions of football based on ability. Obviously in a football state there are many more teams than a Rugby state like QLd.

there is a lot of things Vic footy has over QLD - the comparison is almost a waste of time.

interested in your your thoughts that relegation / promotion would make SEQ footy stronger - how exactly? that almost implies clubs at the bottom of the ladders dont try, or if they knew they could be relegated they could magically produce players from places they are probably already looking at, that are bare to avoid relegation.

Backhand payments, under the table payments, or third party payments or whatever you want to call it are rife in Vic Amatuers. It is impossible for some clubs to compete. VFA are looking to implement a cap on player payments to try and regulate it and make the comp fairer - but good luck that stopping what goes on.

For me every league and sport that has a forced relegation / promotion system in place yearly simply just encourages the rich clubs to spend more to ensure they are still dominant and all that does is make the gap wider between the haves and have nots.

I think AFLQ have done the right thing in saying they will assess leagues after a 3 year period - simply going up or down on yearly results in a place like QLD that has such a transient footy culture I think is a bad idea.
Relegation and promotion separate the poorly run clubs from the more professionally run clubs, the have's from the have nots, rather than the current situation where you have several clubs across the divisions who have struggled to win a game over the past few years and regularly get cricket scores kicked against them. Coolly are one club who would benefit from dropping a division, maybe save them in long run. In regards to player payments, that's been going on for ever in a day and always will, has little influence on relegation or promotion. To be a strong progressive club it's more about sustainability and continued improvement on and off the field generating a strong culture. Too many social teams treading water IMO currently.

Relegation and promotion separate the poorly run clubs from the more professionally run clubs, the have's from the have nots, rather than the current situation where you have several clubs across the divisions who have struggled to win a game over the past few years and regularly get cricket scores kicked against them. Coolly are one club who would benefit from dropping a division, maybe save them in long run. In regards to player payments, that's been going on for ever in a day and always will, has little influence on relegation or promotion. To be a strong progressive club it's more about sustainability and continued improvement on and off the field generating a strong culture. Too many social teams treading water IMO currently.
Karma that gives the impression you don't think a club can be professionally run and still have an average year - or alternatively that poor run clubs can't be successful - I can guarantee you both of those are untrue.

Don't disagree cooly would benefit from dropping down - but my point is they have been struggling for a few years - it's not a knee jerk reaction based on results of 1 single year.

I think the current structure of leagues allows people with different commitment levels an opportunity to play. We are talking effectively 3rd and 4th division seniors available in QLD. If that level of footy can't have a social element too it, then where do you go?

Karma that gives the impression you don't think a club can be professionally run and still have an average year - or alternatively that poor run clubs can't be successful - I can guarantee you both of those are untrue.

Don't disagree cooly would benefit from dropping down - but my point is they have been struggling for a few years - it's not a knee jerk reaction based on results of 1 single year.

I think the current structure of leagues allows people with different commitment levels an opportunity to play. We are talking effectively 3rd and 4th division seniors available in QLD. If that level of footy can't have a social element too it, then where do you go?
How does a club ( even a new club ) that starts in div 4, move up through the divisions if you don't have promotion/relegation ? Should they have to win 2 or 3 flags in a row in div 4 first, or wait until a club in div 3 wants to drop down ? If any club has aspirations to play at a higher level, then there must be an avenue for them to take to get there. And it shouldn't be like an exclusive golf club, where you're stuck on a waiting list waiting for someone to fall off their perch, before you can become a member.

There is unofficial relegation, just look at kedron this year. Reckon the same could happen for cooly if they drop away too far. As someone else said though the wheel can turn pretty quickly up here bc of the transient nature of footy in SEQ.
IMO think there should be less senior footy clubs and more cooperation bn junior clubs to create a pathway to a senior club. The issue always becomes that, yeah, why should a club 10km up the way be allowed to start up? But maybe the existing club isn't actually that flash, turns potential players off staying, manages to survive but the junior numbers in the region actually say they should be a lot stronger. Too much macho bs rivalry bn some clubs that is formulated from battles 20 yrs ago that has nothing to do with the players of today. We experience it on the Sunshine Coast so I'm sure it exists on the GC too.
Not sure bond will ever be a QAFL club unless they throw a few bucks round but then when a kid finishes uni there who says he will be employed on the GC?
Is the same reason y I just can't see UQ being competitive at QAFL level, there will be very few 10 yr players.

If there is a restructure then the football population is definitely south of brisbane and therefore the QFA nth comp needs to have their boundary expanded to include some clubs that are currently seen as Sth sides bc the Sth will top up pretty easily.

Agree with those guys who said if you are going to have multiple clubs in a small radius then there has to be a couple of levels of footy available to play, not all in the one comp.

How does a club ( even a new club ) that starts in div 4, move up through the divisions if you don't have promotion/relegation ? Should they have to win 2 or 3 flags in a row in div 4 first, or wait until a club in div 3 wants to drop down ? If any club has aspirations to play at a higher level, then there must be an avenue for them to take to get there. And it shouldn't be like an exclusive golf club, where you're stuck on a waiting list waiting for someone to fall off their perch, before you can become a member.
read my posts Twinkle - massive advocate of leagues adjusting - but over a period of time as has been what AFLQ have mandated since the introduction of the leagues.

I for one think basing relegation / promotion off purely 1 seasons results as hasty and a knee jerk reaction - with the exception of Vikings, Kedron and Caloundra over the past 4 years who requested it due to insufficient numbers and to avoid being fined each week for forfeits and effectively dropping out of the comp mid way through the seasons.

As for promotion nothing has ever been mentioned about number of teams being capped - if 3 clubs from this league had consistent results in both grades, good coin in bank, secure sponsorship agreements, decent facilities and whatever else AFLQ uses as their criteria to decide promotion then im all for it - until of course you get to a 14 team league playing 18 rounds a year and its a complete lottery on who you play twice (another debate for another day).
I dont believe it should ever be 1 for 1 necessarily unless the club being promoted ticks the aforementioned criteria and the club being relegated is basically unable to meet them.

Cpl of examples to illustrate my point.

Nambour - 2010 played div below this league - 2011 played this league won comp - 2012 played this comp lost 1 game all roster season, out of finals straight sets - 2013 played in league above this and won 7 games for year - 2014 played league above this and only beat 2 teams - 2015 played league above this and wont win a game all year. Tell me you dont think there promotion through leagues wasnt too quick?

Redcliffe - 2011 this div didnt play finals - 2012 this div won comp - 2013 played div above this and only beat 1 team - 2014 back to this div finished 3rd. Would love to know whether those at redcliffe if they had their time again would have stayed in this div in 2013 as im sure very few blokes enjoyed there year and there is no way the club made any money.

read my posts Twinkle - massive advocate of leagues adjusting - but over a period of time as has been what AFLQ have mandated since the introduction of the leagues.

I for one think basing relegation / promotion off purely 1 seasons results as hasty and a knee jerk reaction - with the exception of Vikings, Kedron and Caloundra over the past 4 years who requested it due to insufficient numbers and to avoid being fined each week for forfeits and effectively dropping out of the comp mid way through the seasons.

As for promotion nothing has ever been mentioned about number of teams being capped - if 3 clubs from this league had consistent results in both grades, good coin in bank, secure sponsorship agreements, decent facilities and whatever else AFLQ uses as their criteria to decide promotion then im all for it - until of course you get to a 14 team league playing 18 rounds a year and its a complete lottery on who you play twice (another debate for another day).
I dont believe it should ever be 1 for 1 necessarily unless the club being promoted ticks the aforementioned criteria and the club being relegated is basically unable to meet them.

Cpl of examples to illustrate my point.

Nambour - 2010 played div below this league - 2011 played this league won comp - 2012 played this comp lost 1 game all roster season, out of finals straight sets - 2013 played in league above this and won 7 games for year - 2014 played league above this and only beat 2 teams - 2015 played league above this and wont win a game all year. Tell me you dont think there promotion through leagues wasnt too quick?

Redcliffe - 2011 this div didnt play finals - 2012 this div won comp - 2013 played div above this and only beat 1 team - 2014 back to this div finished 3rd. Would love to know whether those at redcliffe if they had their time again would have stayed in this div in 2013 as im sure very few blokes enjoyed there year and there is no way the club made any money.
Yeah, and Coomera is a great example of how it works the other way ( constant yearly improvement ). Yearly promotion/relegation ensures all clubs aspire to continually improve, the chance to go up, the threat of going down. The current wait and see approach does nothing for aspiring clubs and, if anything, encourages mediocrity from the rest.
In the end, it's probably easier to just say that we don't agree on this subject.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all the talk about clubs moving up, down and sideways, there hasn't been much talk about Vic Point lately. Seem to be travelling along very nicely being brand new to the comp.
You'd think they would be reasonably happy so far considering they've played 55 odd players through the 1's. Compare that to GM's 28 & who knows what they could be capable of in years to come with some stability in the line up.

Twinkle - and therein lies the benefit of the forum - people putting forward some what educated opinions on things we ultimately probably have zero influence on!

Apologies for the digression.

Let's get back to what's important on this forum:
• how many will KP kick this week
• what happened to the forum famous calamvale leopard burger
• who is stacking the twos for a reserve flag
• did conch ever pay Beenleigh the rego he owed

Tongue firmly in cheek for those playing at home.

Twinkle - and therein lies the benefit of the forum - people putting forward some what educated opinions on things we ultimately probably have zero influence on!

Add to the list, we need more from the $1.01 favourite to win the ressies league medal, Mr Bezjak !! His output has been extremely low lately !!

On top of all this you have to realise that performance on the field is not the only criteria. It is about your facilities, the financial position of the club, and the playing numbers you have.
We are Wynnum are in a pretty good financial position but over the last couple of years have really struggled with playing numbers due to a number of reasons. We dropped from getting our backside kicked in QFA in 2013 (after making finals in 2012) to QAFA B simply because we could not definitely field 2 sides each week. As a club we would love to be playing in the highest division that we possibly can, but it does have a bit to do with ensuring your playing numbers first.
We were really determined to step up this year and have done so but our playing ranks still do not have the same depth as other clubs might have.

I watched you guys a few weeks ago MacMan and it looked to me like you are nowhere near as good a side as you were last year, but have stepped up a division. That must make it hard?

Would it be fair to say you lost some talented players, despite improved numbers in total and are a lesser senior side than last year?

On top of all this you have to realise that performance on the field is not the only criteria. It is about your facilities, the financial position of the club, and the playing numbers you have.
We are Wynnum are in a pretty good financial position but over the last couple of years have really struggled with playing numbers due to a number of reasons. We dropped from getting our backside kicked in QFA in 2013 (after making finals in 2012) to QAFA B simply because we could not definitely field 2 sides each week. As a club we would love to be playing in the highest division that we possibly can, but it does have a bit to do with ensuring your playing numbers first.
We were really determined to step up this year and have done so but our playing ranks still do not have the same depth as other clubs might have.

Hey Mac - as a side was it a committee decision or a playing group decision to get back to QAFA A?

reason i ask is if it was player driven and majority voted to go up and the "better players" QAFL alludes to from 2014 not being there in 2015 then fair enough.

Interested in if it was committee driven and those players have then gone to other QAFA B as a result of not wanting to play saturdays.

My take on your questions BOC -:

- KP to kick plenty, 10 plus!
- Burger is dead like Calamvale!
- Probably 3 or 4 sides lining up to win a QAFA A Reserves Flag by sticking two's. We would be trying if we had enough players so good luck to those who can.
- don't know Conch but Furk it I will say yes he owes the Buffs, so pay up Conch.

Again like my good friend, tongue in cheek before I get slammed.

Hey Mac - as a side was it a committee decision or a playing group decision to get back to QAFA A?

reason i ask is if it was player driven and majority voted to go up and the "better players" QAFL alludes to from 2014 not being there in 2015 then fair enough.

Interested in if it was committee driven and those players have then gone to other QAFA B as a result of not wanting to play saturdays.

Well they don't have their best player in Scotty Gillett, then I see the lippy kid with orange boots is now playing 1s at Robina and we know old swampy is at Noosa. So there is 3 guy gone, including their best on baller by a mile.

I watched you guys a few weeks ago MacMan and it looked to me like you are nowhere near as good a side as you were last year, but have stepped up a division. That must make it hard?
Would it be fair to say you lost some talented players, despite improved numbers in total and are a lesser senior side than last year?

No sure what game you saw QAFL, so I do not know about being nowhere near as good.
BOC it was a joint player/committee decision. We actually lost a few good players the season we dropped down to QAFL B because they did not want to play at that level. As far as having lost good players from last year, I looked at out team list for the Grand final and there are 7 players who are not around. And none of them have gone off the play Friday nights again.
1 retired
5 moved away including swampy, one of the Clark brothers, Edwards and Lewczuk who were all pretty handy. As for the lippy guy with the orange boots, did not rate him all that much but if he is playing firsts for Robina then maybe he has come on a bit.
But Thommo is correct. Losing Scotty G has left a massive hole. That guy was a pretty amazing player who really knew how to get the hard ball. We are missing that a bit.
But I think we also picked up some very good players as well. and when you look at it i think we have had one draw, lost 2 other games by 1 point and another against Carrara by 2 goals, all that we could have potentially won which would make our position look a lot better. So we know we are definitely not up with the best teams in this division (as seen by last weeks result) but it is our first year and we are fairly happy with where we are at.

Well they don't have their best player in Scotty Gillett, then I see the lippy kid with orange boots is now playing 1s at Robina and we know old swampy is at Noosa. So there is 3 guy gone, including their best on baller by a mile.

Thommo you know the biggest problem they will have is trying to fill the hole that will be left when i retire!!! ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back