QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue is that once they flagged the possibility of not fielding a side, they then fall into the category of needing 60 registered players by todays date.

Given the transient nature of a football club based out of a University, its impossible for them to get 60 registered names by now - which defaults them to QAFA B.

The reason I think they will have 2 sides in QAFA B, is because given their last 4 years, I reckon its likely that by Jan/Feb - they will easily have the numbers for 4 or 5 sides, so they will put a 2nd side into QAFA B. It's not unheard of for a club to have 2 sides in one Division, and it can easily work.

The downside is that their 4ths will go from being Premiers (I think 3 in a row now?) to cellar dwellers in QAFA B. But on the plus side, their 3rds will be very very good and they will no longer have a 5ths - which was essentially a bye for most clubs when playing them.

Best result for UQ would be to be in QAFA A, so they have 2 competitive sides. But the nature of how the rules are, means they will need some 'bending' for that to happen. If they go into QAFA B, they will have one competitive side and one that gets belted most weeks.

The issue is that once they flagged the possibility of not fielding a side, they then fall into the category of needing 60 registered players by todays date.

Given the transient nature of a football club based out of a University, its impossible for them to get 60 registered names by now - which defaults them to QAFA B.

The reason I think they will have 2 sides in QAFA B, is because given their last 4 years, I reckon its likely that by Jan/Feb - they will easily have the numbers for 4 or 5 sides, so they will put a 2nd side into QAFA B. It's not unheard of for a club to have 2 sides in one Division, and it can easily work.

The downside is that their 4ths will go from being Premiers (I think 3 in a row now?) to cellar dwellers in QAFA B. But on the plus side, their 3rds will be very very good and they will no longer have a 5ths - which was essentially a bye for most clubs when playing them.

Best result for UQ would be to be in QAFA A, so they have 2 competitive sides. But the nature of how the rules are, means they will need some 'bending' for that to happen. If they go into QAFA B, they will have one competitive side and one that gets belted most weeks.

Surely it would of been easier to simply pull out of QAFA B altogether and remain a QAFA A side. As you said, numbers generally aren't an issue at uq, if they were worried wouldn't they pull out the worst performing side and lowest ranked first? If things don't improve by start of feb with numbers, it's not that hard to move them down is it? Will be amazing if they have two sides and play against each other, rather than a senior and reserve side. And as you said the ressies comp of QAFA A would likely be an easier comp than if they have a "weaker" side than playing in QAFA B.

Last edited:

gee qafl fan you know a lot of information! are you the head of aflq or something!!! being a reserve in the worst comp in Queensland I'm not sad to see them go...

Season 2015 - big rumours to date, yet none been substantiated. Big signings or big dreamers? Wouldn't make any sense to get a known player & try to stay 'under the radar' as 1 big name can attract more players. Some clubs have new coaches and pre-seasons are beginning to take shape. Anyone have any positive feedback to share/promote?

Season 2015 - big rumours to date, yet none been substantiated. Big signings or big dreamers? Wouldn't make any sense to get a known player & try to stay 'under the radar' as 1 big name can attract more players. Some clubs have new coaches and pre-seasons are beginning to take shape. Anyone have any positive feedback to share/promote?

Since retiring and taking up drinking as my preferred hobby the hangovers aren't as bad. Lol

And you're right. No point promoting star players when they haven't even registered. I think most teams will surprise others next year.

Their QAFA A guys that are playing QAFL, will no doubt be propping up their previously non competitive reserves outfit. Some associated with UQ might suggest that their QAFA A side from last year would beat their QAFL Ressies, and I would probably agree.

Reserves footy at all levels can be very weak competition, even in the QAFL. Mount Gravatt and UQ all fielded sides in the QAFL Reserves last year that would not have played finals in QFA or possibly in either of the QAFA comps. Sandgate weren't a great deal better. All 3 would have been smashed by the better QFA and QAFA A sides.

UQ playing a 3rds side in QAFA B will be excellent for that competition. They have been regular finalists in QAFA A and should be right there at the pointy end in 2015, which is a great result for the Friday night league. With Woodsmen, Wynnum, Jimboomba, UQ all very strong - then Mayne likely a pretty strong outfit and the mystery Ferny Grove guys - it should be a great league with more competitive football than ever.

The Ferny Grove Guys?????? I didn't know they had a senior team at that club...

Where are they getting 30 players from? Other clubs maybe but who?
Ferny Grove are a junior club - highly doubt they will get the senior side up and running. With traditional teams like Mayne and Wilston Grange around the corner, i doubt they'll get the 30 people they are talking about.

Ferny Grove are a junior club - highly doubt they will get the senior side up and running. With traditional teams like Mayne and Wilston Grange around the corner, i doubt they'll get the 30 people they are talking about.

Where are you from Fal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought a club that only had enough players for one team could only enter QFA B? How can UQ enter two teams?

Not

Not to mention completely unfair to the other QAFA B sides who will realistically be competing against this years sides, on a lower comp. (premiers in the Ressies and finals in the seniors) Gotta love the aflq make it up on the run policies.

Have to agree. Are other clubs afforded the luxury of having 2 teams enter QAFA B early next year past the deadline? Clubs like kedron and possibly even ferny grove as they have a strong military community base around them that changes every January with new postings. Will they be allowed to enter a second team?

Have to agree. Are other clubs afforded the luxury of having 2 teams enter QAFA B early next year past the deadline? Clubs like kedron and possibly even ferny grove as they have a strong military community base around them that changes every January with new postings. Will they be allowed to enter a second team?
I wouldn't even float the idea of having a second team if my side was full of AJs.

any news on Victoria Point and Wynnum, did they get their numbers together and have they been admitted to VAFA A?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back