Qatar Bribe the 2022 World Cup Bid

Remove this Banner Ad

Stadia in Place = US
Population = US
Timezone = US
Growth of the game = Australia
Confederation sharing of hosting = Australia
How well supported soccer is? = Australia

Behind AFL, NRL, Union and cricket here. Behind the obvious competitions in the US like NFL, NBA, MLB & NHL. But there is also significant following of college football which was the 3rd most supported sport in the US and college basketball would be up there too, not too forget their stupid obsession with cars going around in a circle for hours!

"According to the 2013 Harris Poll, the six sports with most fans are American football (46%), baseball (14%), basketball (10%), auto racing (7%), ice hockey (5%) and tennis (3%)"
1. Domestically or internationally? If domestically, no. If Internationally (so for good viewing into China) then yes.

2. I'm not so sure. As a % sure, but as pure numbers, no.

I'm keeping an eye on the 2026 and 2030 bids currently.

Going for 2026
1. Canada
2. Mexico
3. Columbia
4. Peru/Ecuador

Going for 2030
1. Indonesia*
2. USA
3. Argentina/Uruguay

*To be thrown out if FIFA keep the confederation can't host in subsequent 2 world cups after hosting one.

What do people want?

I want Canada and Argentina/Uruguay
But worry Canada wont be capable of running it well.
But I want Argentina/Uruguay to host 2030 (100 years of 1st tournament in 1930 hosted by Uruguay) so that would force me to want Mexico as plan b. But I'm not sure them getting it for their 3rd time (1970, 1986, 2026) is fair.... Though, with the lack of viable options in CONCACAF, if they want to share it around to confederations, Mexico/USA will get it more often than warranted.

Growth of the game on the domestic front for both countries would see more come out of an Australian WC than another US one. The MLS had its initial boost from hosting a WC and with great management it has taken off in the last few years. The game at home is essentially where the US was in the 90's. It's got a solid base now but very little international exposure.

The 2nd point about how well supported has to be in % terms. Can't be per head otherwise we'd probably have half the followers of the super-power of football like India and China!

Should have been the following:

2018 - England. Infrastructure is all there. Founders of the game who have only hosted it once. Russia an extremely racist and homophobic country still.
2022 - Australia. Agree with FIFA logic that there needs to be another WC in Asia but don't think it should be given to Japan or Korea for the 2nd time. CONCACAF had hosted it 3 times since 1970 to Asia's 1 and is a confederation of 2 likely hosts!

Going forward
2026 - USA. Would be eligible after missing out on 2022 and would be 30+ years by then since they last hosted it
2030 - Uruguay. 100th year anniversary WC there would be a great idea

Should have been the following:

2018 - England. Infrastructure is all there. Founders of the game who have only hosted it once. Russia an extremely racist and homophobic country still.
2022 - Australia. Agree with FIFA logic that there needs to be another WC in Asia but don't think it should be given to Japan or Korea for the 2nd time. CONCACAF had hosted it 3 times since 1970 to Asia's 1 and is a confederation of 2 likely hosts!

Going forward
2026 - USA. Would be eligible after missing out on 2022 and would be 30+ years by then since they last hosted it
2030 - Uruguay. 100th year anniversary WC there would be a great idea

I don't mind that, looks alright, would like to see Canada have one in not too distant future too though.

I don't mind that, looks alright, would like to see Canada have one in not too distant future too though.
I'd like to see them make the next 1 or 2 before considering them as a host. It's not a confederation littered with great countries yet they seem to stumble every time. The MLS sides based there do have great support though.

World cup in brazil has absolutely screwed over their local soccer

Please fos and co, think before you spout off

What does that have to do with Australia?

Focus on constructing a coherent response before you spout off.

NRL - Not really, they can just bring forward the season 2 weeks and finish it a few weeks late in their own stadium, they can work around it.

AFL would be a ***** however with the MCG and Adelaide Oval. Might be able to actually buy out Cricket Australia's contract on the stadiums for 1-2 months, let the AFL play earlier and later, then force Sheffield Shield to Junction and Glenelg Ovals for the first few weeks of 2022-23 and the final weeks of 2021-22.

Er you can't just buy out/move the season because you want to. The AFL and NRL have to agree to do it.

How can anyone say USA should logically get it again? It's FIFA and world cup bids we are talking about. Plus it does defy simple logic when you look at the numbers.

USA would be only the 6th country to host the Football (Soccer as they'd say) Would Cup more than once! Football mad countries like England, Argentina, Spain etc. still haven't hosted it twice yet but a country where it is the 4th/5th most popular sport gets it a 2nd time before them just 28 years after first hosting it? Same could then be said about the Japan and Korea bids really but at least the sport is close to the most followed in those countries.

Australia recived 1 vote. 1 vote in 4 rounds of voting.

It was USA 8/ Qatar 14 out of 22 in the final round.

We were never going to get it.

And for those talking about the rotation policy through the continents, that's being scrapped after 2018.

Some random thoughts

If we ever hosted the WC, just like with the Asian Cup, I'm not sure Perth host any games unfortunately because of its location. Maybe a joint bid with NZ could get up and 1 group plays Auckland / Wellington, 1 group plays Christchurch / Dunedin.

Europe should host more than 1 WC every 20 years.

The only countries that should host are those that actually have a chance of qualifying. Expand the game in countries where it is worth growing. That all excludes Qatar.

Australia doesn't have adequate rectangular stadiums. Personally I don't care for soccer at the MCG, Etihad Stadium, or ANZ Stadium.

What does that have to do with Australia?

Focus on constructing a coherent response before you spout off.

Er you can't just buy out/move the season because you want to. The AFL and NRL have to agree to do it.

Australia recived 1 vote. 1 vote in 4 rounds of voting.

It was USA 8/ Qatar 14 out of 22 in the final round.

We were never going to get it.

And for those talking about the rotation policy through the continents, that's being scrapped after 2018.

Thanks for your kind words

Heres a coherent argument:

NO

**But FIFA will throw them out the door at will. There was a confederation rotation which got it to Africa and South America in 2010-14 which was ditched soon after. Probably didn't want to be forced to send it to New Zealand every 24 years.

I reckon Oz would get a sniff it it was joint bid with New Zealand, despite two confederations being involved.

Some random thoughts

If we ever hosted the WC, just like with the Asian Cup, I'm not sure Perth host any games unfortunately because of its location. Maybe a joint bid with NZ could get up and 1 group plays Auckland / Wellington, 1 group plays Christchurch / Dunedin.

The only countries that should host are those that actually have a chance of qualifying. Expand the game in countries where it is worth growing. That all excludes Qatar.

Australia doesn't have adequate rectangular stadiums. Personally I don't care for soccer at the MCG, Etihad Stadium, or ANZ Stadium.

I'd be royally pissed if Australia got the world cup and had no games over here, but NZ did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some random thoughts

you do know brazil is just as big and have games being played in 6 different timezones.

and we couldnt go in bed with nz because theyre a different zone altogether. better wed do it on our own.

finally perth has a 60k stadium (3rd largest when built) that has flexible soccer configuration. it would be absolutely stupid to ignore perth for the sake of nz.

perth wouldve hosted an asian cup game if they had a facility capable of hosting it. theyre in a better time zone then the east coast.

Stadia in Place = US
Population = US
Timezone = US
Growth of the game = Australia
Confederation sharing of hosting = Australia
How well supported soccer is? = Australia
Would have thought our timezone is better?

Why do people keep thinking the World Cup is to grow the game?

It's not.

It's all about making money for FIFA.

The amount of money a WC in the US will bring in will dwarf anything Australia can offer.

Why do people keep thinking the World Cup is to grow the game?

It's not.

It's all about making money for FIFA.

The amount of money a WC in the US will bring in will dwarf anything Australia can offer.

Simple argument. Theres not much time, US is ready now. Or japan if the continent argument is used

With russia 2018 and qatar 2022 fifa should have known they can only get away with so muct corruption

If 2022 was more legit, the focus would be squarely on russia now

Unbelievable how the world's biggest sporting event could be so blantantly tainted. I mean was there any other reason to announce two world cups at the same time, one ten years in advance? Need people at the top who genuinely care about the game rather than themselves.

All I want is for Qatar to be stripped of it and someone else, ANYONE ELSE, gets it. Even this is very hopeful. Australia have no chance of hosting.

Something that will be nice about Qatar is staying up late/getting up early on warm summer nights instead of cold winter nights.

If we ever hosted the WC, just like with the Asian Cup, I'm not sure Perth host any games unfortunately because of its location.

Perth doesn't have Asian Cup matches because the WA Government didn't want to pay for them.

All I want is for Qatar to be stripped of it and someone else, ANYONE ELSE, gets it. Even this is very hopeful. Australia have no chance of hosting.
Would you be opposed of a greater Middle East bid?

Dubai (x2)
Abu Dhabi
Sharjah
Doha
Manama
Riyadh (x2)
Mecca
Jeddah
Medina
Amman

Only give Saudi Arabia automatic entry and let UAE/Qatar/Bahrain/Jordan fight off for a 2nd?
I'd like to see one day a world cup go to the middle east, but It'd have to be something like a Saudi/UAE or MAYBE an Iran bid to be successful.

Looking at the bigger picture, just think this is FIFA politics at play. No coincidence this stuff gets leaked ahead of the next FIFA congress which is in a week or so. Blatter camp leaking information to discredit a possible Platini run, the guy is shifty but knows how to garner support.

Naive to also think that the Qatar bid was not the only one that were tainted. They just offered more than the rest.

Australia World Cup in 2022. Can't see it happening myself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back