Question for Freo supporters: If West Coast lose to Hawthorn will Fremantle "throw" the Derby?

Should Fremantle rest players in the Derby to gift West Coast a Top 2 Position?

• Yes, lose to West Coast to ensure Hawthorn has to travel to Perth in the Finals

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No, Its better to help Hawthorn get to the Grand Final without having to travel

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Um, Yes, No, How about this - Comment

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Or should they?

Ie, Hawthorn beat West Coast this week, suddenly Hawthorn will be only 2pts behind West Coast.

Is it than advantageous for Fremantle to lose to West Coast the following week and help West Coast sew up 2nd place and a home Qualifying Final thus forcing Hawthorn to travel to Perth in Week 1 of the Finals?

Or is it better for Fremantle to beat West Coast and possibly put West Coast down to 4th behind Hawthorn & Sydney and thus give Hawthorn potentially an arm-chair ride into the Grand Final with 2 home finals at the MCG?

What is it better for Fremantle to do? Force Hawthorn to travel to Perth during the finals or allow Hawthorn the luxury of not leaving Victoria after Round 22 (Tasmanian game against Brisbane).

How is Fyfe anyway, will he be back for the Derby or is it more prudent to rest him until the following week against North Melbourne? Especially given the scenario outlined.

Would Fremantle coach Ross Lyon ever send out a weakened team in a Home & Away game if he thought it would benefit his team in the Finals?

Would he?????

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=6431&Code=62781bbf42e85146c0cbb01efdb67519

Also, I might add the obvious, if Fremantle beat West Coast in the Derby and condemn West Coast to 4th that would also possibly set up a Qualifying Final Derby for Fremantle in Week 1 of the Finals.

Would it be easier for Fremantle to face West Coast in Week 1 of the Finals or an interstate team?

What would Ross do?

What do Freo supporters want???

Prefer to win a Round 20 Derby or prefer to play in a Grand Final for a Premiership???

Or should they?

Ie, Hawthorn beat West Coast this week, suddenly Hawthorn will be only 2pts behind West Coast.

Is it than advantageous for Fremantle to lose to West Coast the following week and help West Coast sew up 2nd place and a home Qualifying Final thus forcing Hawthorn to travel to Perth in Week 1 of the Finals?

Or is it better for Fremantle to beat West Coast and possibly put West Coast down to 4th behind Hawthorn & Sydney and thus give Hawthorn potentially an arm-chair ride into the Grand Final with 2 home finals at the MCG?

What is it better for Fremantle to do? Force Hawthorn to travel to Perth during the finals or allow Hawthorn the luxury of not leaving Victoria after Round 22 (Tasmanian game against Brisbane).

How is Fyfe anyway, will he be back for the Derby or is it more prudent to rest him until the following week against North Melbourne? Especially given the scenario outlined.

Would Fremantle coach Ross Lyon ever send out a weakened team in a Home & Away game if he thought it would benefit his team in the Finals?

Would he?????

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=6431&Code=62781bbf42e85146c0cbb01efdb67519

Also, I might add the obvious, if Fremantle beat West Coast in the Derby and condemn West Coast to 4th that would also possibly set up a Qualifying Final Derby for Fremantle in Week 1 of the Finals.

Would it be easier for Fremantle to face West Coast in Week 1 of the Finals or an interstate team?

What would Ross do?

What do Freo supporters want???

Prefer to win a Round 20 Derby or prefer to play in a Grand Final for a Premiership???

I think RTB will be one week at a time and no we won't throw the derby, might rest a few when 100% guarantee top two.

Cant see them tanking it, Lyon seems like the sort of coach who would back the team in even if it meant Hawks getting two home finals in Melbourne. They had the opportunity to tank their game against Melbourne in 2012 to finish 8th and play us at Subi in a final but they didn't do it; cant see them doing it now, especially because they are out of form and 'tanking' wont help them regain it.

Cant see them tanking it, Lyon seems like the sort of coach who would back the team in even if it meant Hawks getting two home finals in Melbourne. They had the opportunity to tank their game against Melbourne in 2012 to finish 8th and play us at Subi in a final but they didn't do it; cant see them doing it now, especially because they are out of form and 'tanking' wont help them regain it.
The West is Ours;)

Its advantageous for us to not see Hawthorn until GF day, so whatever we can do to help that along the better it is for us.

If Freo finish first and Hawks second that means we are in the best position possible to avoid them as long as we can. (and cross our fingers they lay an egg on PF day)

I don't think we should fear the Hawks so much that we throw games to avoid them. Would wreck the team mentally if we end up facing them in the big one. If we finish top 2 and face the Hawks in Perth, just smash them and send them packing. Simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for it, but I don't think we will do it.

Its advantageous for us to not see Hawthorn until GF day, so whatever we can do to help that along the better it is for us.

If Freo finish first and Hawks second that means we are in the best position possible to avoid them as long as we can. (and cross our fingers they lay an egg on PF day)
Disagree. I'd rather then in a prelim at home after they have already traveled to Perth. Yes, they could we beat WCE in the QF, but that is out of our control.

If we're going to rest players, it'll be for an away game so they don't have to travel.
North & Port away will be rest games. Thinking north more likely especially if Freo win this week v saints & the derby.

We want top spot so no tanking until round 23.

I expect the Eagles to throw everything at the Hawks this weekend though, which might hurt them the following week. However the Eagles don't have to travel and have an 8 day break to freshen up for us.

I expect Freo to lift for the derby, as we always seem to do. There will be some serious "The West Is Ours" to rub in their faces if we win.

west_isours_TWIO_Hero_Image.jpg

Uggggh.

It is a good game to give the boys a taste finals style football against an actual finalist, but I don't want our game plan fully on display and I don't want the boys to put everything on the line. The game simply is not worth that. I am all for holding something back,whether that is a player such as Sandilands or Pavlich, or a bit of intensity, or a critical match up.

Great game for anyone lurking on the fringe of selection to show what they can bring. Talking about Clarke, C Pearce and Taberner for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back