R 18+ classification probably won't go ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2004
New Eden
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/video-games-reform-rebuffed-over-violence-fears-20110402-1csmm.html

LONG-AWAITED reforms of Australia’s censorship of computer games look set to fail after Victoria declared its strong concern that the move will legalise games with ‘‘high levels of graphic, frequent and gratuitous violence’’.

Backed by a groundswell of support from the gaming community, the Gillard government is determined to fix the classification system for computer games, which allows unsuitable games to be rated for 15-year-olds, yet bans popular games for adults.

Advertisement: Story continues below But the Baillieu government’s Attorney-General, Robert Clark, has echoed the concerns of the Australian Christian Lobby, putting him on a collision course with Canberra, which requires the backing of all states and territories to change classification laws

Ted Ballieu government is siding with the Australian Christian Lobby in opposition to the new reforms being proposed.

I have another thread on the politics board for a different perspective from different people.

Damn Christian conservatives :thumbsdown:

Sooner of later the ACL will infect Julia herself.

They are good at that.

I ****ing hate religious conservatives. The way it's going will have to wait until the baby boomers are dead to get any change.

It just defies all logic. How can everyone not see the benefits to this? Greater levels of violence/language/themes etc. are seen in music, movies and TV shows, that you CANNOT purchase/watch unless you are over 18... unless you buy it online.. which is possible to do with videogames anyway.

Gah... *headdesk*

Whats it got to do with the Australian Christian Lobby to if we have R18+ games dont understand.

:confused:

Because they're campaigning against it, like most religious conservatives they're afraid of change and things that are different.

Whats it got to do with the Australian Christian Lobby to if we have R18+ games dont understand.

:confused:

The ACL has a big influence on many politicians because:

1. Many politicians are conservative Christians.

2. Politicians know it's a potentially career ending move to go against the ACL - you'd be surprised how many people still share the ACL's views, especially older Australians.

They have a habit of getting in the pollies pockets too.

R rating or not, some games should simply be banned for everyone, for the same reason that child pr0n is.
There is no conceivable reason that anyone genuinely needs to play some of these game as they are pure sick fantasy. and I would seriously question the mental state of those who say they need to. Sorry people but freedom of choice simply does not cut it sometimes.
Hans | Carrum Downs - April 03, 2011, 8:48AM

Oh lordy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Child of 12 goes to store with 15 year old brother under the current system.

"Oooohhhh the new COD is out go and buy it!"
Brother buys it, 12 year old goes on a killing spree in an airport in COD.

Under an R18 system

"Aww the new Cod is out, shame I can't get it cos mummy wont let me play with an R rated game and brother cant get it for 3 years"

Also I'm running under the assumption that an 18 year old wouldn't let a 12 year old under his gaze play COD, for the good of gaming in general. Also I had to use COD because it's the most generic thing I could think of :p

The funny thing is though, Christian dropkicks believe they are helping save innocent children from violence by keeping the R18 rating AWAY.

There is no conceivable reason that anyone genuinely needs to play these games

Oh, so it's about "needs" now?

Is Communism what they preach over at Carrum Downs?

Well Mr Hans, you don't NEEEEEEEEED to drink orange juice with your bacon and eggs, you can drink water instead.

You don't NEEEEEEEEEEED to jog in the morning, you can walk instead.

ect ect ect

:rolleyes:

I ****ing hate religious conservatives. The way it's going will have to wait until the baby boomers are dead to get any change.

In a way, I reckon your right.

It's pathetic really. Video games are just that, video games - Not reality.

If the argument against this is that some kids, or even people in general, sometimes fail to differentiate fiction from reality then;

A) They're dumb and should probably be institutionalized anyway, or at least be on some hard meds.

and B) Then why the hell is it fine and dandy to have an R18+ category when it comes to other forms of entertainment such as TV, movies and music where the content can be just as bad, if not worse, than video games.

As grro said - It defies logic. But then again so do a lot of things - MRP anyone? :rolleyes:

Oh, so it's about "needs" now?

Is Communism what they preach over at Carrum Downs?

Well Mr Hans, you don't NEEEEEEEEED to drink orange juice with your bacon and eggs, you can drink water instead.

You don't NEEEEEEEEEEED to jog in the morning, you can walk instead.

ect ect ect

:rolleyes:

Electroconvulsive Therapy? Well it is a treatment for severe depression which may come in handy if this saga continues on the way it's going, but I believe you were after 'etc'.

Seriously though, I agree with your post mate and it just goes to show how intelligent Mr. Hans really is. Just like politicians - It astounds me how some ppl think they have all the answers to all the world's problems. Too many ppl have too strong of an opinion on things they clearly know nothing about.

I don't know anything about Christianity (besides the obvious - it's a crock) so I won't go telling them how to run their business, yet 50+ year olds who wouldn't know what an X-Box was if they fell over it and the controller landed in their hands, have no qualms in telling us what's right and wrong when it comes to something they know literally nothing about - Video games.

/rant

From the comments:
Why is the government listening to self indugent violence addicted lobby?
I want a society that does not glorify violence and prostitution and graphic sexual violence. Every R rated movie or book eventually gets viewed by children, and the cost we pay as a society is far higher than the benefit gained by a few.
Not only should there be no R+ rating, certain games should be banned for good! Yes I believe in censorship for the common good rather than the "I got every right to do whatever I like, and stuff society" mindset of a few.
There is more to life than just the mindless pursuit of self

*bangs head against wall*

From the comments:
Why is the government listening to self indugent violence addicted lobby?
I want a society that does not glorify violence and prostitution and graphic sexual violence. Every R rated movie or book eventually gets viewed by children, and the cost we pay as a society is far higher than the benefit gained by a few.
Not only should there be no R+ rating, certain games should be banned for good! Yes I believe in censorship for the common good rather than the "I got every right to do whatever I like, and stuff society" mindset of a few.
There is more to life than just the mindless pursuit of self

*bangs head against wall*

Is there room for two at that wall?

I struggle to see any rational view against the rating.

The current system is promoting exactly what is being said will happen if the rating is intoduced; minors being exposed to graphic content meant for beyond their years. Not to mention that the newly permissable games would be given a strict R18+ rating which once again renders void the argument that children will be 'exposed' to severe levels of graphic content.

I read a really good analogy on another one of the forums I freqent the other day. Here it is

Right now we have the situation where if a game is considered too mature for a minor, it is banned.

Cola? Fine. Coffee? Fine. Alcohol? Sorry, too mature for minors. Banned. Think this is a flippant example? Imagine the outcry if the same logic was applied to liquor like this. And while you're at it, please convince me that games are more harmful socially and individually than alcohol.

Child of 12 goes to store with 15 year old brother under the current system.

"Oooohhhh the new COD is out go and buy it!"
Brother buys it, 12 year old goes on a killing spree in an airport in COD.

Under an R18 system

"Aww the new Cod is out, shame I can't get it cos mummy wont let me play with an R rated game and brother cant get it for 3 years"

Also I'm running under the assumption that an 18 year old wouldn't let a 12 year old under his gaze play COD, for the good of gaming in general. Also I had to use COD because it's the most generic thing I could think of :p

The funny thing is though, Christian dropkicks believe they are helping save innocent children from violence by keeping the R18 rating AWAY.

Saw something like this happen not long ago, couple of kids were with their mum probably 12-14 years old looking at XBox games and eyed off Gears of War which would have a R rating for sure, after constant nagging and complaining the mum gave in and got it for them.
Yet the moronic Christian groups think they are protecting kids from games like that which are ****ing awesome but not suited for young kids at all.

And even still, if a kid wants to play a game nowadays, no ratings will EVER stop them playing it. I was 11 and I wanted to play GTA VC, and despite my dad not liking the idea of it (and me not having an Xbox or PS2) I still played it at my mates place anyway.

You just can't stop kids getting their way in some form when it comes to games.

Good move by the Ballieu government. There's no point for having especially graphic/greusome games allowed and those who think otherwise must just have some sick fantasy they want to play out. Some things are just too perverse and it's no big loss to censor them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back