Review R5: Port v Adelaide Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously though there needs to be a Clear Clearances stat. Or differentiate between a running and quick bomb clearance. That is the difference between the good and mediocre teams.

Also suspect that Marks I50 as a % of Total I50s would be telling.

As a microcosm of the game itself,

With 3:37 left the score was 115-84, inside 50's 67-42.

After that extended period of junk the final score was 115-91, inside 50's 71-42.

Which was pretty much the story of the night. Crows would bomb forward at every opportunity - especially Dangerfield who launched mongrel after mongrel forward as if it was 1987 - whereas we would almost exclusively search for options on the wing or insist on overlap, often to our detriment, but the results speak for themselves.

It is telling that we tagged Sloane with our number one tagger, and really just went head to head with Wincey. Pretty clear that we are fully aware who does the most damage with possession.

Ricciuto is alright when he isn't saying 'wooahoho' and 'pwwoah' which accounts for half of his vocabulary. I don't get the gripes over his voice.
He is a tool, only made look OK by the other flogs around him.

Seriously though there needs to be a Clear Clearances stat. Or differentiate between a running and quick bomb clearance. That is the difference between the good and mediocre teams.

Also suspect that Marks I50 as a % of Total I50s would be telling.

They just need a Clearances to Advantage and Inside 50s to Advantage stat, i.e. a clearance that actually results in that team getting the next possession and the same for Inside 50s. That will sort it out.

But of course, that will skew Chumpion Data's team rankings, and we can't have that.

As a microcosm of the game itself,

With 3:37 left the score was 115-84, inside 50's 67-42.

After that extended period of junk the final score was 115-91, inside 50's 71-42.

Which was pretty much the story of the night. Crows would bomb forward at every opportunity - especially Dangerfield who launched mongrel after mongrel forward as if it was 1987 - whereas we would almost exclusively search for options on the wing or insist on overlap, often to our detriment, but the results speak for themselves.

Egg zachary. We won the game because our important players played better. Having the ball in the hands of your quality play makers more often will deliver the choccies because they aren't as wasteful.

PAFC - Boak, Gray, Pittard, Wingard, Schulz, Ryder all had plenty of ball or used it well when they did
Adel - Dangerfield (burnt it), Smith (donuts), Sloane (donuts), Jacobs (thrashed), Betts (good)

or inside 30 stat. its fine and dandy to hit up a bloke at the intersection of 50 and the boundary they count but you rarely score from there and its where we wanted Adelaide to have shots from. However, when port were taking uncontested marks in the goal square or marks straight in front its poor defending by Adelaide.

Yes it is.
In that case comparing inside 50s when teams are zoning high is no better than comparing number of handballs from yesterday's game to games from the 70s.
They mean different things.

I think we out coached the opposition on the day by miles. The only let down was TJ ob EB, which seemed reasonable before the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the calls of inside 50s being skewed, especially when entries are restricted to far out, wide positions or mongrels bombed at nothing.
I'm more worried about our inability to clear the ball from defence for long periods in the last 2 games rather than the inside 50 against stats themselves... as Ken said you can't survive if it continues, i think we'll sort it out though.

I'm more worried about our inability to clear the ball from defence for long periods in the last 2 games rather than the inside 50 against stats themselves... as Ken said you can't survive if it continues, i think we'll sort it out though.
That's what Polec and White are for, we missed Polec last night. But injuries and player management can't be helped.

Westhoff didn't dominate but did some nice things. Top of the list was his goal in the last quarter from a kick over his head. It was the greatest of handballs from Robbie. But the Hoff was smart enough to move away from the goal. If he moved the other way the Crows's defender may smothered his attempt at goal. Smart piece of play that gave us breathing space at an important part of the last quarter.
I found Westhoff playing with a bit of swagger. He was a bit casual at times but would still get possessions off clean majority of the time with 82% efficiency.
He was majestic in full flight - I likened him to Falcor from The Neverending Story.

Ken agree's it isn't healthy

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-05-03/we-wont-survive-hinkley

"PORT Adelaide 'won’t survive’ if it continues to be smashed in the inside-50 count, coach Ken Hinkley believes."

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-05-03/we-wont-survive-hinkley
Yeah but he's probably more concerned about the fumbling etc that allows a team to pump it back in than the per se.
We haven't been as clean as last year when coming out of our defensive 50.

In that case comparing inside 50s when teams are zoning high is no better than comparing number of handballs from yesterday's game to games from the 70s.
They mean different things.

Yep, hence the discussion. In fact so far this year it appears the latest 'tactic' is to allow useless 50 entries in to clogged forward zones allowing space ahead for a fast rebound. We haven't managed to get our burst running forward game going just yet but watching our own games and particularly against Freo and Sydney it's almost, almost a developing trend. Will be interesting to watch team styles as the season further unfolds to see whether this is a ploy or just a result of circumstances within particular games, i.e. a tiring team devoid of run just holding back the floodgates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back