Teams Rate my 2014 AFL Fantasy team

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing around with my Rd1 team:
6 sub 260K players (Rookie Priced)
1 Mid Pricer
15 Premiums

As mezaire mentioned, not all guns. But we're still going to see some very high Rd1 scores compared to previous years

Wait, someone explain that "test" round to me?
We get unlimited trades?
We get to pick a team for round 1. Then we pick a team for round 2, only instead of the usual 2 trades we get unlimited trades before round 2. From there on it's 2 trades a week only. The rule must be in place because they think the less serious players can't handle the split round at the start.

While unlimited trades before round 2 is pretty silly IMO, the positive is we get a crucial extra week to examine the rookies. If this happened last year I wouldn't have had to waste trades getting Ollie Wines and a rookie defender (whose name escapes me right now) into my team. Rookie picks are always difficult as they require the most research and most of the time we are gambling on players we've hardly seen before and sometimes putting them in our starting line up. So this weird rule will save some anxiety on that front.

We get to pick a team for round 1. Then we pick a team for round 2, only instead of the usual 2 trades we get unlimited trades before round 2. From there on it's 2 trades a week only. The rule must be in place because they think the less serious players can't handle the split round at the start.

Hating the rule already - jesus why not simply give everyone unlimited trades, continue to take the skill out of the game, makes research undervalued

While unlimited trades before round 2 is pretty silly IMO, the positive is we get a crucial extra week to examine the rookies. If this happened last year I wouldn't have had to waste trades getting Ollie Wines and a rookie defender (whose name escapes me right now) into my team.

That's not a positive. If you weren't smart enough to pick Ollie Wines for Round 1, you SHOULD have to use up a trade to correct the mistake you made.

This is the main problem I have with this rule change. Why bother putting effort over the pre-season into picking the best rookies and mid-pricers when you can just change all your picks after a week at no cost anyway?

So basically we craft our round 2 team as well as we can... then press delete all... pick a joke team for round 1 based off the fixture and then unlimited trade back to "our" team for round 2, whilst possibly changing some of the rookies around or picking up a bolter

Seems thats what I'll do

Dumb rule change. Not surprised though given the recent changes over the last year or two.

Just have to suck it up and move on. I'll be entering again this year for sure.

So basically we craft our round 2 team as well as we can... then press delete all... pick a joke team for round 1 based off the fixture and then unlimited trade back to "our" team for round 2, whilst possibly changing some of the rookies around or picking up a bolter

Seems thats what I'll do

You'll be trying to get as many guns and Sydney players on the field for round 1 as possible. I'll be taking my round 1 team very seriously to try to get an adavantage first up.

The rule sucks but we have to exploit it as best we can.

Surely this means that Dan will be around more than ever now.
When I say joke team I mean the rule is a joke and it will mean you will have 7 sydney players and etc etc, I havent looked at the fixtures yet.
Obviously just cram as much money on the field as possible, then fix it up next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 2 Team:

B: Mcveigh, Mitchell, Bartel, Swallow, Suckling, Macdonald (Scharenberg, Laidler)
C: Ablett, Rockliff, Beames, Greene, Savage, D.Thomas, Aish, Polec (Beams, Tyson)
R: Golstein, Sandilands (Longer, King)
F: Dangerfield, Franklin, Zorko, Sylvia, Hogan, Bock, (Rohan, Kersten)

3k remaining.

Weakish forward line, but im going for a value team with potential. Obvious injury risks being Suckling, Sandy and Bock. With gametime risks being Fasolo, Hogan and Aish. But no risk no reward...

EDIT: just saw Fasolo was restricted to running laps at training today. Anyone else in that lineup that is having an injury interrupted season let me know :)

Edit: Fasolo and Watson out.
Sylvia and Thomas in.

My first attempt

DEF: J. McVeigh, S. Mitchell, K. Simpson, M. Suckling, K. Kolodjashnij, E. Wood (M. Fuller, L. Roberts-Thomson)
MID: S. Johnson, G. Ablett jnr, J. Watson, T. Cotchin, D. Beams, D. Tyson, V. Michie, C. Beams (M. Hallahan, J. Polec)
RUC: M. Leuenberger, A. Sandilands (B. Longer, D. Currie)
FWD: N. Riewoldt, P. Dangerfield, D. Martin, L. Franklin, M. Clark, A. Fasolo (G. Rohan, N. Bock)
CASH LEFT: $18,900

Defense drops of pretty quickly

TEAM NAME: ScrubTurkeys

DEF: S. Mitchell, R. Henderson, J. Grimes, D. Swallow, M. Suckling, M. Fuller (C. Howard, J. Laidler)

MID: S. Pendlebury, S. Selwood, J. Selwood, M. Barlow, D. Beams, D. Thomas, J. Martin, C. Beams (X. Ellis, D. Garlett)

RUC: M. Lobbe, A. Sandilands (B. Longer, D. Currie)

FWD: P. Dangerfield, D. Martin, L. Franklin, P. Chapman, M. Clark, A. Fasolo (N. Bock, S. Kersten)

CASH LEFT: $25,400

First quick go. Not really sure about the rookies and I will change them around I'm sure.

Might be too mid heavy.

Want GAJ + Murphy. Pendles def. isn't a lock. Not sure about Grimes.

Any thoughts? Be harsh.

First quick go. Not really sure about the rookies and I will change them around I'm sure.

Might be too mid heavy.

Want GAJ + Murphy. Pendles def. isn't a lock. Not sure about Grimes.

Any thoughts? Be harsh.

o_O

First player 'locked' for me for 2014,

FWIW

JT's Jesters V2. Me likey

DEF: J. McVeigh, S. Mitchell, J. Bartel, P. Hanley, M. Suckling, C. Giles (M. Fuller, J. Battersby)
MID: G. Ablett jnr, T. Rockliff, J. Watson, T. Cotchin, D. Beams, D. Thomas, D. Tyson, D. Garlett (C. Beams, J. Polec)
RUC: M. Leuenberger, A. Sandilands (B. Longer, D. Currie)
FWD: P. Dangerfield, L. Franklin, P. Chapman, D. Zorko, M. Clark, A. Fasolo (N. Bock, G. Rohan)
CASH LEFT: $8,700

TEAM NAME: Cheers 4 the beers
DEF: S. Mitchell, J. Bartel, K. Simpson, J. Grimes, M. Suckling, K. Kolodjashnij (B. Griffiths, L. Plowman)
MID: S. Pendlebury, S. Selwood, M. Barlow, B. Stanton, K. Jack, D. Beams, V. Michie, J. Polec (X. Ellis, A. Spina)
FWD: P. Dangerfield, C. Mayne, K. Tippett, M. Clark, K. Harper, G. Rohan (R. Knight, S. Tunbridge)
CASH LEFT: $43,100

First real crack at it, with about only about 10% knowledge of any rookies.

I've gone for a few uniques that (hopefully) rise in value. Stanton has started the last 2 seasons with a BANG. Buddy is going to take the best defender, so Tippett is going to have a cracking year!
Any opinions?

TEAM NAME: Cheers 4 the beers
DEF: S. Mitchell, J. Bartel, K. Simpson, J. Grimes, M. Suckling, K. Kolodjashnij (B. Griffiths, L. Plowman)
MID: S. Pendlebury, S. Selwood, M. Barlow, B. Stanton, K. Jack, D. Beams, V. Michie, J. Polec (X. Ellis, A. Spina)
FWD: P. Dangerfield, C. Mayne, K. Tippett, M. Clark, K. Harper, G. Rohan (R. Knight, S. Tunbridge)
CASH LEFT: $43,100

First real crack at it, with about only about 10% knowledge of any rookies.

I've gone for a few uniques that (hopefully) rise in value. Stanton has started the last 2 seasons with a BANG. Buddy is going to take the best defender, so Tippett is going to have a cracking year!
Any opinions?
I like Pendlebury as a lock and load. Both Swan and Ablett are getting old and just missing 2 or 3 games really reduces their points total for the season, whereas pendles will play 23.

Im going to wait and see with S.Selwood now that the Eagles have a new coach. X Ellis might struggle to break into the Eagles lineup IMO. All will be revealed round 1 though so no sweat.

I like Pendlebury as a lock and load. Both Swan and Ablett are getting old and just missing 2 or 3 games really reduces their points total for the season, whereas pendles will play 23.

Im going to wait and see with S.Selwood now that the Eagles have a new coach. X Ellis might struggle to break into the Eagles lineup IMO. All will be revealed round 1 though so no sweat.

Thanks for the input. I've been shattered to miss out on S. Selwood the last 2 years so promised myself at the end of 2013 that he was one of my first picked...... Now you've gone and put other ideas in my head.... haha.

Not 100% sold on having Michie in the starting lineup either... While its a new club and everyone is raving, I'm still unsure.

I like Pendlebury as a lock and load. Both Swan and Ablett are getting old and just missing 2 or 3 games really reduces their points total for the season, whereas pendles will play 23..

Pendles has missed more games than ablett and swan in the last couple years I think. Mid-2012 he had some ankle problems from memory - which was like 5 games or something...was a pain in the arse and I ended up trading him out.

Not that it should factor in that much. I agree that Pendles should play more games than GAJ and swan in theory, he's much younger.

Not many people starting with Ablett+Swan this year. Making me want to start with both...they're priced highly but I reckon their reliability and occasional massive scores while captain could make up for it.

Want to try and find a unique player like Wingard was last year. He made so much money and pumped out respectable scores as a starting M7or8. Could be the difference in winning the comp if you find a unique player who's going to have a breakout year. Doesn't hurt to have a bit of a gamble either since we have so many trades.

B: McVeigh, Mitchell, Waters, Suckling, Clurey, Kolodjashnij (Pearce, Cameron)

C: Swan, Ablett, Pendlebury, S.Selwood, Cotchin, Beams, Thomas, C.Beams (Tyson, Crouch)

R: Sandilands, Longer (Moller, Thurlow)

F: Dangerfield, Martin, Franklin, Chapman, Fasolo, Rohan (Garlett, Hayes)

Def: J.McVeigh, S.Mitchell, G.Birchall, D.Swallow, M.Suckling, L.McDonald (M.Fuller , J.Laidler)
Mid: G.Ablett, S.Selwood, K.Cornes, J.Selwood, D.Beams, V.Michie, C.Beams, J.Polec (J.Aish, X.Ellis)
Ruck: H.McIntosh, A.Sandilands (F.Thurlow, D.Currie)
Fwd: P.Dangerfield, L.Franklin, P.Chapman, D.Zorko, R.Gray, L.Taylor (D.Garlett, N.Bock)

Very rough first go, no doubt will change massively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back