Review Rd 3 Review - Young Dockers win the Derby by 55

Remove this Banner Ad

I know why Paracleet said it and a couple of people have liked, it’s because he kinda moves with arms all flailing about and doesn’t currently look smooth and people want to be the one that said it first. On actual output though, he’s a big bodied defensively minded mid with pace who can kick a goal, like you’ve said, there is no actual logical reason for writing him off

Don’t feed the trolls. Anyone who says they know what kind of career someone is going to have after 6 quarters of football is either Nostradamus or a troll. No way it can be done. He’s just trying to ruffle some feathers.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Told you Walker was good. Kid can't be left down at Peel. Couldn't be caught. Didn't make a mistake. Hit their big boys hard.

That team was super fast. Swita and Shultz were everywhere. Erasmus was 10 pin bowling. Walker and Freddie follow a different set of physics. Clark, Colyer and Chappie are quick and nimble, and Brayshaw just doesn't stop.

Replacement for injuries only next week. Tucker (so glad it wasn't a neck injury) and Pearce (give his ankle the rest it will need, it's a long season)
IN: Hamling for Pearce, Mundy for Tucker
Sturt for Banfield as medical sub.
All good but I would rather Sturt play a full game at Peel than maybe get a game but probably not as a medical sub.

Last edited:

Under the interpretation of the rule the umpire decision was wrong. There were Eagle players within 5metres and he was under pressure. In saying that I kind of agreed with Pav and others that a line was drawn to try and cut out defenders and effortless rushing of behinds.

What really annoyed me was the 50. Watching the replay the umpire paid it straight away and there was nothing untoward in Luke’s reaction. It’s obviously this new umpire dissent rule. It became genuine amateur hour when Lobb got his free kick and ki led the ball further away from the goals than where he started.
Acres swore which as automatic 50m

I started feeling sorry for West Coast over the last few weeks with their injury crisis and plague-riddled team - lord knows we've experienced the injury carnage ourselves. And COVID is no joke and it's going to rip through our team as well soon enough.

But then all I kept hearing from their supporters and the media was how hard their lives all are and how absolutely devastating this all is. On and on and on and on.

Then I remembered all the times we couldn't even field a single tall forward in Derby's and they'd gloat like it was the greatest victory ever managed by their club.

Get stuffed Wet Toast.

I started feeling sorry for West Coast over the last few weeks with their injury crisis and plague-riddled team - lord knows we've experienced the injury carnage ourselves. And COVID is no joke and it's going to rip through our team as well soon enough.

But then all I kept hearing from their supporters and the media was how hard their lives all are and how absolutely devastating this all is. On and on and on and on.

Then I remembered all the times we couldn't even field a single tall forward in Derby's and they'd gloat like it was the greatest victory ever managed by their club.

Get stuffed Wet Toast.

They had better be careful excusing that performance due to their injuries/player outs. Because I can see them still enduring quite a few losses when they get their missing players back.

My favourite team stat is one that counts the number of players you have with 50+ games for your club.
I believe you need this number to be 13+ to have a real proper chance at a premiership. Freo have had just 7 every round so far (& 7 to 12 throughout the 2021 season). The slime up the road had 10 yesterday (but they had 10 to 19 and averaged 14.5 in '21).
And if you look at other more common metrics like average age, or players under 21, or whatever, Freo still looked less experienced on paper than they did.
That is, I think they are happy to have their Covid and injury excuses right now because they have some big problems that they may well need to face in the near future.

They had better be careful excusing that performance due to their injuries/player outs. Because I can see them still enduring quite a few losses when they get their missing players back.

My favourite team stat is one that counts the number of players you have with 50+ games for your club.
I believe you need this number to be 13+ to have a real proper chance at a premiership. Freo have had just 7 every round so far (& 7 to 12 throughout the 2021 season). The slime up the road had 10 yesterday (but they had 10 to 19 and averaged 14.5 in '21).
And if you look at other more common metrics like average age, or players under 21, or whatever, Freo still looked less experienced on paper than they did.
That is, I think they are happy to have their Covid and injury excuses right now because they have some big problems that they may well need to face in the near future.

Thedy got a lot of retirements of key players coming.

Nic, Spewy, McFatty, Hurn, Yeo is basically cooked although younger.

I don't see a lot behind them, although their last crop looks promising. Quite liked all the players they picked

I’ve just finished watching the reply.
Some very good signs.
Firstly to my buddy Aish. Predicted 400m gained. 399m- 1 more mate. What a joke🤪. Did a good job keeping Gaff to 14 after 1/4 time.
I’ll fight anyone who bags him as is my buddy duty.

Brodie was just huge at the contest. 17 CP, 8 clearances. TOG 103/125 mins. Yes was gassed in the last 10 mins but had earned the right to blow. Worked his arse off! Just keep doing that for the next 5 years thanks.

Walker is silk. Clean, calm and efficient. Never to be dropped again.

Switta is a future AA. His burst speed elite.

Walters- should have kicked 3/4 goals. Worked bloody hard all game. Just put some bloody long studs on so you can keep your feet. Won’t stop the haters hating but I think he will let the footy do the talking from now on.

Acres had his best game for the club. Just needs that level every week. I thought he should have got votes for the medal.

Shultz is a honest hardworking footballer. Look forward to 150 more games in purple from him.

NOD and Erasmus showed plenty to justify keeping their spots.

Only real negative in terms of individual players was Clarks kicking. Some absolute shockers.

Performance is something to build on after all the negativity of last week.

Edit: Forgot another neg. Lobbs insipid contesting marking performance. To quote Pav “that’s just not good enough”

Last edited:
I’ve just finished watching the reply.
Some very good signs.
Firstly to my buddy Aish. Predicted 400m gained. 399m- 1 more mate. What a joke🤪. Did a good job keeping Gaff to 14 after 1/4 time.
I’ll fight anyone who bags him as is my buddy duty.

Brodie was just huge at the contest. 17 CP, 8 clearances. TOG 103/125 mins. Yes was gassed in the last 10 mins but had earned the right to blow. Worked his arse off! Just keep doing that for the next 5 years thanks.

Walker is silk. Clean, calm and efficient. Never to be dropped again.

Switta is a future AA. His burst speed elite.

Walters- should have kicked 3/4 goals. Worked bloody hard all game. Just put some bloody long studs on so you can keep your feet. Won’t stop the haters hating but I think he will let the footy do the talking from now on.

Acres had his best game for the club. Just needs that level every week. I thought he should have got votes for the medal.

Shultz is a honest hardworking footballer. Look forward to 150 more games in purple from him.

NOD and Erasmus showed plenty to justify keeping their spots.

Only real negative in terms of individual players was Clarkes kicking. Some absolute shockers.

Performance is something to build on after all the negativity of last week.
If Switta can hit the scoreboard more he will be one of the best small forwards in the comp.

The addition of Walker who is both attacking and defensive was critical...the balance seemed to be right, allowing, Clark, Young and Chapman to play more natural games.
Yes I'm glad we chose that setup. We could even move Clark to a wing and play Wilson out back which makes us even more aggressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest negative for me was continually kicking to McGovern and Hurn. We got away with it this game because the eagles skills were so much worse but yeah some really poor forward 50 entries
Agreed from a team POV. That’s an experience issue I think. Was highlight during the commentary and the Colyer goal as the way to beat McGov and Hurn zoning off.

The addition of Walker who is both attacking and defensive was critical...the balance seemed to be right, allowing, Clark Young and Chapman to play more natural games.

How impressive was he, he is physically a BEAST of a kid.

Fumbly yes, but that should improve. His second efforts are sensational, in a 50/50 contest he is almost unbeatable as his physical attributes are elite and his football nous pretty sound as well.
Certainly a huge talent for us.

Biggest negative for me was continually kicking to McGovern and Hurn. We got away with it this game because the eagles skills were so much worse but yeah some really poor forward 50 entries

I really like Jordan Lewis as a commentator, at one point he started laughing at our entries (which he should lol) and pointed out how better McGovern was at reading the ball in flight than our forwards.

Our forwards really need to make repeat leads and keep on the move - it catches the attention of the kicker and gives you the ability to lose your defender.

Hopefully we through all our draft capital the next years at natural forwards through the draft and trade. It’s the last piece IMO.

The addition of Walker who is both attacking and defensive was critical...the balance seemed to be right, allowing, Clark Young and Chapman to play more natural games.
Yep Walks plays like a 100+ game veteran, like Chapman, he is fantastic offensively but most important defensively too. Absolute beast on the defense, and then cuts up with speed and beautiful kicks offensively.

I was saying senior players deserve to get the first crack and Walks has to push them out, well he did it and early in the season, should not be dropped ever again if he holds that form.

Edit - Additional, what a steal at a pick 50!

It's hard to know whether a player who has played so few games can be described as underrated or not, but for me, it's his ceiling that is not recognised yet.

The league is full of fleet-footed, gifted ball users who can rebound off half back and set up scoring opportunities for their team, it's a vital role.

There's also quite a few dour small/medium defenders who can blanket their opponent and who relish the defensive nature of their role and love using their strength, grit and determination to not give an inch and nullify their opponent, it's a vital role.

The thing about Walker is he seems to love and have a propensity to do both...he a ******* unicorn!

I'm not sure if he'll ever reach his ceiling, as my crystal ball stopped malfunctioning the day I declared that Steve Smith wasn't a cricketers a-hole and could neither bat or bowl, but he definitely has the potential to be elite.

Apart from my buddy big dog in the middle, Walker is my next on my watch list...I reckon he could be anything.
Just saying...

I’ve said it before and I will say it again. He has one of the cleanest sets of hands below his knees in the entire competition.

To be fair, he is basically below the knees of most other players as a starting point.

This is why Jack Darling drops marks apparently.

"They had another two goals to their name within 30 seconds of actual playing time in the third quarter courtesy of some Naitanui heroics.

Naitanui’s big ruck tap and follow-up led to a goal to Jack Petruccelle within 14 seconds of the second half.

And then at the next centre bounce, Naitanui unleashed another dominant tap and eventually got the ball back to kick a goal on the run from 49m.

The margin was just 20 points at that moment, but a dropped mark by Jack Darling in the square, after his line of sight was blocked, proved to be costly."

Courtesy of 7 West Media.
Surely free kick west coast?

I’ve said it before and I will say it again. He has one of the cleanest sets of hands below his knees in the entire competition.
And possibly the quickest bounce in the comp - although to be fair it's not a long way down and back for him.

The thing about him and Walker is their bursts from a standing start and lateral movement just buys them so much time and space.

That time in the fourth quarter when Walker was called to play on and just went 'OK then' - and just ran around his opponent was perhaps my favourite single moment of the game.

And let's not forget Joel Western is even quicker - he didn't test in the combine in his draft year but his 20m sprint time that year was faster than the national combine record!!

O'Driscoll is meant to be pretty quick (he had the second fastest sprint in the game according to the GPS data), Freddy is lightening - although my sense is that's more about his top speed as opposed to speed of the mark, Clark has won the grand final sprint and both Tabs and Brayshaw have placed quite high in the grand final sprint. We've got a very quick team emerging - we just need to use it more. We've seen it in pre-season and in bursts during the Adelaide and West Coast games - it's just under pressure we're reverting to kick mark and long bombs.

Maybe that means this year will be a transition as we slowly lose the old style and shift more to the quick rebound/corridor based game - which the Hawks are clearly also trying to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back