Review Rd 3 Review - Young Dockers win the Derby by 55

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Freo, I had my doubts pre game after last week's sinking feeling after one of the most disappointing games in recent memories. Full credit to the selection committee to change a few things, well done to Jaymie Graham too.

Tabs made a huge difference and seemed more game aware than normal with keeping the ball moving forward.

Lobb was a liability, he is the most frustrating player going around. Clark was a bit scatter gun at times.

I was pleased to see the WC fans at the game acknowledged Tucker when he left the field too.

I know there hasn't been a lot of love for Freddy in this thread, but he was clearly better this week than he has been the last 2. His work rate is phenomenal, but he doesn't often get rewarded for it with a nice lace out kick. Not sure how deliberate it is, but I noticed that Walker kicked it to him quite a few times and their connection was spot on each time. I think that's going to be an import connection for many years to come.

Well done Freo, I had my doubts pre game after last week's sinking feeling after one of the most disappointing games in recent memories. Full credit to the selection committee to change a few things, well done to Jaymie Graham too.

Tabs made a huge difference and seemed more game aware than normal with keeping the ball moving forward.

Lobb was a liability, he is the most frustrating player going around. Clark was a bit scatter gun at times.

I was pleased to see the WC fans at the game acknowledged Tucker when he left the field too.
I noticed west coast support for Tucker. Maybe they are finally growing up 😂

I am not happy. The AFL, for some reason, has not put up a replay of this game.

I missed it.

One of the most pleasing aspects of the last two derby wins is that the last two Allen medal winners have been Serong and Schultz.

Two young guys. The next generation is really starting to take over.

Glad Chapman got votes even if it was from Pav.

Couple of down weeks to start the year (albeit we hold him to huge expectations), thought he took care of Ryan from the opening bounce, but also helped set the tone for our movement off half back. Wanted to move forward, attack the corridor, and over lap.

I noticed that NN was plum tuckered after his 50 second burst in the third quarter. Had to have a spell.
A good win regardless of what the critics might say. We had four out and replaced with kids with so few games under their belt.
Great to see Switkowski getting a good run at the game with out injury. Fingers crossed.
Walker looked like he had played a hundred games. So composed. Chapman very very good.
Frederick looks like a full time forward, who can read the play and make space. Footy smarts.
O'Donnell looks like he belongs and will be good value.
Clark and Brody have added football smarts to the team.
A big test Saturday night, but if they stick to the game plan they can win it.
Hopefully Tucker has no long term effects from his knock as he was playing well.

Thedy got a lot of retirements of key players coming.

Nic, Spewy, McFatty, Hurn, Yeo is basically cooked although younger.

"Hey, come on! You did me twice!"

7f3e0acf450c026195df73f9124cf04e0ac54fff-16x9-x0y241w2817h1585.jpg

well that was a rather enjoyable little romp, wasn't it?! :grinv1:

After last week's abject performance we needed something strong and impressive and for players to really lift when it mattered and we got that in spades. I know West Coast are 'decimated' with Covid and the chopping and changing of teams, but they had enough of their regular 22 out there, we had a completely inexperienced engine room and that was my biggest area of concern. However, the guys were so strong in there - been really critical of the likes of Brodie and Acres, but far out - they shut me up at least for this game, they were both excellent. Credit where it's due, Acres best he's played in the purple. Or white as it was, absolutely superb. It was poetic justice when he intercepted Nelson Jackson's ball in the 3rd to kick a goal....sucked in Jackson Fatson! You're as ugly as your game was hehehe. Brodie was instrumental in so much, great hands and presence and strong in the clinches.....hopefully this is the game that he can use as his benchmark going forward because more of this will contribute to so much as the season unfolds. Neat debut from Ras, he was solid and so clean, especially early, great handball I think to Switta that set up a goal in the first...wooooo! We likes.

Drizzy - pretty quiet for his '2nd' game, but then he pops up and does his pocket thanggg! Yeah boi, I enjoyed that....got better as the 2nd half went on. Great to see Tabs back, told you he's worth an extra 3 goals, he is pivotal to the forward line's fortunes, the talisman. Solid game from the deadpan destroyer!

Walker was outstanding (welcome back!), so composed with neat little bullet passes (hmm, where have we seen that before....cough cough Crowden, oh excuse me....little tickle in one's throat..), powerful and of course clean and swift. Great defensive work too. Switta - beautiful bursts of play, he's so quick and agile. Not happened yet, but one of these days I reckon he'll rip a game open and snag 3 or 4. It's all about his body holding up. He is great.

Schultz, just becoming an incredible servant to the club. Never in my wildest dreams thought he'd make it, but his nous, pressure and unrelenting run always factors him in the game and getting busy. Congrats on the medal too, that is noiceee!

Walters - the man's been under the pump and we've all criticised him to a degree, but far out Sonny, you wound the clock back today and I thought his pressure was outstanding....he was instrumental in a fair few passages of play that lead to goals or bare minimal, good chances. I hope he is finding belief again because he demonstrated he's not done yet...best game in almost 2 years I'd say. All the players that were bog-ordinary last week rose a good 10-15% more and as a consequence we were better structurally, more spatially aware and hunted in packs. Great team effort, very happy with that as a much needed win - just hope it's not a flash in the pan and we can build proper momentum off that going forward because if we play like that we're in the contest for sure, even with better teams. It's all about growth and we have plenty more to give, but just happy with that win for now....4-zip over the Eagles in the last 4 meetings......how ya like THEM apples Nelson, you column!! ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches Votes:

10: Schultz
6: McGovern
4: Hurn
4: Brayshaw
4: Chapman
1: Acres
1 Switkowski

Have to say I agree with that. Sucks that West Coast had two of the top three best on ground, but they definitely deserve the votes.

In an ominous sign for next week, GWS midfield dominant in their votes, 10 for Coniglio, 7 for Green and Taranto, 4 and 2 for Preuss and Ash respectively, meaning their midfield took all votes vs. Gold Coast. We'll need Darcy, Serong, and Mundy back if we're to be competitive vs. their mids.

Coaches Votes:

10: Schultz
6: McGovern
4: Hurn
4: Brayshaw
4: Chapman
1: Acres
1 Switkowski

Have to say I agree with that. Sucks that West Coast had two of the top three best on ground, but they definitely deserve the votes.
Well Brayshaw, Hurn and Chapman are equel so two of the top 3 is a bit misleading. Just for whatever reason Hurns name was listed first.

Lots of thoughts that have already been well covered but here are my top few:

1. Regardless of circumstances, we just held West Coast to their lowest ever derby score and notched over 100pts in a regular-season derby worth 4 premiership points. If you'd told me that was going to happen 1 year ago I'd have laughed you out of the room. They were better manned than against North Melbourne and still fell apart. Are they AFL quality? No. However, you can only beat whoever is in front of you and we actually *ing kerb stomped them when the game was on the line. We did what needed to be done and snagged some % in the process.

2. We looked inside, found players in space, and moved the ball fast. The game plan looked like what we have been promised. None of this chip, chip game. No doubt many of the openings we got were due to West Coast failing to man up properly but it should contribute to our confidence to take the game on going foward.

3. West Coast are getting an early glimpse of their foreseeable future right now. This complaining about being injured will seamlessly transition into excuses about how young and inexperienced their team is. We got zero sympathy during their recent run of derby wins while we were actually rebuilding and we should be giving them none in return. Enjoy these wins everyone and * those campaigners.

Last edited:
Lots of scum supporters around me were joking about Tucker and saying maybe Gaff had hit him
That's a shame. To be fair - around me there was nothing but applause.

They even started laying into Liam Ryan for staging after his simulation in the goal square in the third quarter. Was quite surreal - massive amount of boos for the free kick not being awarded immediately turned to collective shouts of 'get up', 'stay on your feet', 'pathetic Ryan' as soon as the incident was replayed on the big screen.

My other reflection about fans is how amazing Australian sports fans are more generally. Growing up supporting soccer in the UK in the 80s and 90s I've had my fair share of really scary moments going to and from games - but yesterday, we absolutely monstered our cross town rivals, whilst sitting in non-segregated areas in the stadium, wearing purple and cheering every time we scored a goal.

That's a shame. To be fair - around me there was nothing but applause.

They even started laying into Liam Ryan for staging after his simulation in the goal square in the third quarter. Was quite surreal - massive amount of boos for the free kick not being awarded immediately turned to collective shouts of 'get up', 'stay on your feet', 'pathetic Ryan' as soon as the incident was replayed on the big screen.

My other reflection about fans is how amazing Australian sports fans are more generally. Growing up supporting soccer in the UK in the 80s and 90s I've had my fair share of really scary moments going to and from games - but yesterday, we absolutely monstered our cross town rivals, whilst sitting in non-segregated areas in the stadium, wearing purple and cheering every time we scored a goal.
My impression was that the applause was more obligatory than good sportsmanship.

I was also basically told not to cheer, to which I ignored given we are at a football game haha

Another positive from yesterdays game, was the blending again of Cox and Ryan. They were our Hurn and McGovern.
They are like peas in a pod. And they play their best when together down back.
Walters played his best game for us for a long time yesterday. Let us hope he can keep improving and get back to his best. I don't think I saw him look for a free all day.
Acres also played his best game in Purple as well.
Though they cop a lot of stick from supporters, I think that Aish and Colyer give us a lot of run and played well yesterday.
Oh and another good thing, we kicked over a hundred point, but still a few too many behinds. And we also increased our % quite substantially.

Last edited:
Lots of thoughts that have already been well covered but here are my top few:

1. Regardless of circumstances, we just held West Coast to their lowest ever derby score and notched over 100pts in a regular-season derby worth 4 premiership points. If you'd told me that was going to happen 1 year ago I'd have laughed you out of the room. They were better manned than against North Melbourne and still fell apart. Are they AFL quality? No. However, you can only beat whoever is in front of you and we actually f*n kerb stomped them when the game was on the line. We did what needed to be done and snagged some % in the process.

2. We looked inside, found players in space, and moved the ball fast. The game plan looked like what we have been promised. None of this chip, chip game. No doubt many of the openings we got were due to West Coast failing to man up properly but it should contribute to our confidence to take the game on going foward.

3. West Coast are getting an early glimpse of their foreseeable future right now. This complaining about being injured will seamlessly transition into excuses about how young and inexperienced their team is. We got zero sympathy during their recent run of derby wins while we were actually rebuilding and we should be giving them none in return. Enjoy these wins everyone and fu** those campaigners.
Beating WC twice a year would be a massive step towards achieving finals. Critical even.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back