RDFL 2016 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Im hearing he isnt too happy there, just using it as a dig against romsey, also a few players not happy he is there. Just 2nd hand information..
Second hand dig training starts back Monday
Try posting something positive
Players are very happy that comes from the inner circle
Nice try

Im hearing he isnt too happy there, just using it as a dig against romsey, also a few players not happy he is there. Just 2nd hand information..

What a crap post mate, I am sure Dean would be more than welcome at any club.
Great football knowledge & good bloke

What a crap post mate, I am sure Dean would be more than welcome at any club.
Great football knowledge & good bloke

Regardless of people's opinions, if a club can acquire the services like a Dean Helmers who now has 2 premierships on his cv then fair get I say.

I also however do believe that Dean had an exceptional side that at times a blind man and a Labrador could have coached Romsey but at the crucial stages of being challenged as a collective unit he was an integral reason they remained a force and got the biscuits.

Dean would be welcomed at Abers anytime if he wanted to be involved at a higher level.

Gareth Phillips on another note turning down an offer to go home to Rupo and staying at the two blues in 2016. Disappointing for the Sharks but a verbal agreement for next year is said to have been done.

Ta
Mate that s**t was going on a long time before that meeting can tell you know that if any numbers your stating would be 50-60 % of what other clubs where paying
How many locals played at romsey riddell lance field etc in last two to three years
It's one of the reasons for the point system to get locals back and to get players to commit and stay long term
Talking of these local players, how are Rockbank going with just the local caravan park to recruit from, i cant see them fielding and keeping under the points system as they have lost so many players in the past 3 years, 90% would be 3 + points.

Ta
Talking of these local players, how are Rockbank going with just the local caravan park to recruit from, i cant see them fielding and keeping under the points system as they have lost so many players in the past 3 years, 90% would be 3 + points.
s**t mate you seem to discuss Rockbank a bit?
Seem like you have a gripe with the club?
As someone who has posted endless s**t about the Rams you would understand that a tiny town with no juniors will struggle, Rockbank in 5-10 years will be as big as Caroline Springs they just need to set up now for the future.
If your keen to help go back/down to the Rams they could use your fantastic knowledge, maybe you could sell some footy jumpers and donate that money back to the club?

s**t mate you seem to discuss Rockbank a bit?
Seem like you have a gripe with the club?
As someone who has posted endless s**t about the Rams you would understand that a tiny town with no juniors will struggle, Rockbank in 5-10 years will be as big as Caroline Springs they just need to set up now for the future.
If your keen to help go back/down to the Rams they could use your fantastic knowledge, maybe you could sell some footy jumpers and donate that money back to the club?
No grip on the club just asking how they will stay under, i have knowledge of several of the local and other leagues, my understanding is lancefield have kept a lot of local or pre existing players as have woodend. Riddell will be the number one team with who they have picked along with diggers and broadford, romsey wont be as bad as everone thinks even losing the number of players they have they still had several good players to come up. Melton will do well having a lot of pre jrs come back as 1 pt, sunbury had a lot of depth and new knowledgeable coach, rupo wont be strong as past 2 years missing the key fwds, and the rdfls future isnt looking as strong with the gold fields pushing there way in. Anything else?

To put names to the "rumors"

Robertson set to leave Riddell and take (another) year off.

Climas and Elliott set to train with rupo this week.

Last edited:
No grip on the club just asking how they will stay under, i have knowledge of several of the local and other leagues, my understanding is lancefield have kept a lot of local or pre existing players as have woodend. Riddell will be the number one team with who they have picked along with diggers and broadford, romsey wont be as bad as everone thinks even losing the number of players they have they still had several good players to come up. Melton will do well having a lot of pre jrs come back as 1 pt, sunbury had a lot of depth and new knowledgeable coach, rupo wont be strong as past 2 years missing the key fwds, and the rdfls future isnt looking as strong with the gold fields pushing there way in. Anything else?
No you seem to know it all

Rockbank won't field a team. 10 blokes on the track I hear with a huge amount leaving. So disapointing, hopefully the league will step in and help, not sure what they can actually do? As for the league itself, there is a massive influx of recruits across the board. The league is improving significantly, noted by last years inter league win so you would think this years game should be noted down as an easy win. In comparison to the Ballarat league the RDFL have recruited well where as the BFL have experienced huge amounts of quality players leave the league, and a lot have gone to the CHFL. CHFL experience the bigger crowds and the clubs aren't shy of throwing more money at blokes from the major league. So to say that the RDFL's future doesn't look good doesn't make sense.

Rockbank won't field a team. 10 blokes on the track I hear with a huge amount leaving. So disapointing, hopefully the league will step in and help, not sure what they can actually do? As for the league itself, there is a massive influx of recruits across the board. The league is improving significantly, noted by last years inter league win so you would think this years game should be noted down as an easy win. In comparison to the Ballarat league the RDFL have recruited well where as the BFL have experienced huge amounts of quality players leave the league, and a lot have gone to the CHFL. CHFL experience the bigger crowds and the clubs aren't shy of throwing more money at blokes from the major league. So to say that the RDFL's future doesn't look good doesn't make sense.
Rock bank would pull more players if they where in WRFL they are playing in the riddle district league ( Macedon Rangers ) doesn't make sense ?????

Rock bank would pull more players if they where in WRFL they are playing in the riddle district league ( Macedon Rangers ) doesn't make sense ?????

Joining the WRFL has merit due to 3 divisions but in all honesty it must be hard pulling players due to the population. As another poster mentioned, I'm sure with some new housing developments they will get better but other suburbs are also growing. But to their credit they have survived up to now, but it's a challenge for someone brave enough. Good luck to the Rams.

Rockbank into the WRFL

Sunbury Lions, Darley, Melton South, Melton Bloods and Bacchus Marsh into RDFL.

Create a two tier comp with 8 teams per division.

Send the rest of the Ballarat league teams in CHFL and create a two tier Comp with 12 teams per division.
Change the league to the Ballarat Highlands football league....or whatever.

All just a thought. I think it's a bloody good idea.

Rockbank into the WRFL

Send the rest of the Ballarat league teams in CHFL and create a two tier Comp with 12 teams per division.

Add gisborne and Kyneton bring back Kilmore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rockbank into the WRFL

Been involved in leagues that have promotion/relegation and it creates lots of issues. The current set up is fine in my opinion. Rockbank need support not a push out the door. They played finals 18 months ago and lots of clubs can't say that.

The bigger regional clubs with huge juniors like Sunbury, Gissy, Marsh are more suited to the leagues they are currently in.

Been involved in leagues that have promotion/relegation and it creates lots of issues. The current set up is fine in my opinion. Rockbank need support not a push out the door. They played finals 18 months ago and lots of clubs can't say that.

The bigger regional clubs with huge juniors like Sunbury, Gissy, Marsh are more suited to the leagues they are currently in.
Wrfl. Edfl thriving. With points system salary cap and common sense it would work gtee you in next five years if not less there will be a major revamp or clubs will go the way of the dinosaur

Wrfl. Edfl thriving. With points system salary cap and common sense it would work gtee you in next five years if not less there will be a major revamp or clubs will go the way of the dinosaur
The points system will actually make it harder for teams being promoted. You think the WRFL is thriving?

Joining the WRFL has merit due to 3 divisions but in all honesty it must be hard pulling players due to the population. As another poster mentioned, I'm sure with some new housing developments they will get better but other suburbs are also growing. But to their credit they have survived up to now, but it's a challenge for someone brave enough. Good luck to the Rams.
The words challenge, battler and struggling are used all to often at rockbank. To have success you have to believe you are going to have success. Have a bit of positivity instead of negativity and watch things turn, it won't happen straight away but it's a great place to start. People who haven't gone anywhere else to see how other successful clubs run are unfortunately pigeon holed into seeing limited success and correct me if I'm wrong rockbank have not seen a premiership since there under 16's grand final 20 years ago in the c grade wrfl division. Note Gav has been involved in the league and Sunbury. They have had numerous chances to keep players and coaches over the years and become successful but something turns down there when they get close, maybe because they don't feel like they can take that step forward? Good luck to them anyway

The words challenge, battler and struggling are used all to often at rockbank. To have success you have to believe you are going to have success. Have a bit of positivity instead of negativity and watch things turn, it won't happen straight away but it's a great place to start. People who haven't gone anywhere else to see how other successful clubs run are unfortunately pigeon holed into seeing limited success and correct me if I'm wrong rockbank have not seen a premiership since there under 16's grand final 20 years ago in the c grade wrfl division. Note Gav has been involved in the league and Sunbury. They have had numerous chances to keep players and coaches over the years and become successful but something turns down there when they get close, maybe because they don't feel like they can take that step forward? Good luck to them anyway
I think they (rockbank) need to do what Macedon did years ago and have a big clean out, to look to the future to survive in this current points system they cant keep just plodding alone with what they have, obviously something is wrong either in the office or on the paddock. But history shows they will struggle for years to come, yes they will grow in population in 5 to 10 years, but this new housing will be a majority of young couples or young couples with young kids which will bring back a jnr club but not a senior, moving to the wrfl wont be any help either with the points.

I've seen and spoken to a few players that have left rockbank and from what they told me they haven't got the money to pay players from last year from what I know it's a mass walk out to sanctuary lakes

It all comes down to the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$&&&&&&&$$$$$$$$$$$$$$&&&&&&&$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$etcetc etc

I thought it was based on smart business plans Keston ?, surly you haven't recruited as well as you have to have blokes travel up the highway on the back of paying overs causing part of this problem we all face in retaining and recruiting players ?

For what it's worth ( no doubt very little ) I believe that its wonderful that the folk up at Broadford got together and said stuff this, lets do what we need to do to generate some excitement and pay what we need to pay to ensure success at RDFL level, good luck to them.

I think that the two biggest spending teams ( Diggers Rest / Broadford ) will play off this year with one justifying the high price tag that comes with winning a premiership.

Exciting times ahead for some clubs.

I thought it was based on smart business plans Keston ?, surly you haven't recruited as well as you have to have blokes travel up the highway on the back of paying overs causing part of this problem we all face in retaining and recruiting players ?

For what it's worth ( no doubt very little ) I believe that its wonderful that the folk up at Broadford got together and said stuff this, lets do what we need to do to generate some excitement and pay what we need to pay to ensure success at RDFL level, good luck to them.

I think that the two biggest spending teams ( Diggers Rest / Broadford ) will play off this year with one justifying the high price tag that comes with winning a premiership.

Exciting times ahead for some clubs.
Think there are a couple in front of broadford

My point is that the year that rock bank played finals they recruited and paid more than usual it was not sustainable and it isn't for 95 % of clubs
My point is they would have a better chance recruiting from the biggest growth area in the southern hemisphere being whyndam than getting guys to come across then have to travel every other week further than to rock bank ....

We all know the cost to run a club and be competitive is quite hefty and that eventually volunteers get worn out and sick of the constant battle to raise funds as I stated this problem was caused by greed and a lack of control by leagues

Think there are a couple in front of broadford

My point is that the year that rock bank played finals they recruited and paid more than usual it was not sustainable and it isn't for 95 % of clubs
My point is they would have a better chance recruiting from the biggest growth area in the southern hemisphere being whyndam than getting guys to come across then have to travel every other week further than to rock bank ....

How do you recruit and attract players of decent quality without a carrot to dangle in front of them. Come and play for Rockbank were a battling club, with a great social calender, A caravan park and maccas down the Highway. It is hard work to recruit. For starters you need people that want to be there, not people that are there to boost their ego because they think their better than everybody else and put their hand out. most clubs have them. It was said before, clean it out. unfortunately when you have a low population you don't have the numbers to show the door to too many. but you cant pay over for the sake of retension.
You need to target players that have mates filtered throughout different leagues, sell the opportunity to play together without worrying about too much coin and pressure, a few drinks on the bar if their worth it. (If only it was that easy:(). Friends of friends, boost the social scene, make people want to be involved. Make them enjoy their time at the club.
To say give it time with all the development the future could be bright, yes maybe. But i would be hoping to create more interest in potential sponsors than players. The growth i've seen in the western corridor could see Rockbank have a killer cricket side. But not everybody plays football.
Good luck to Rockbank i wish them and Gav all the best. With players moving on, it only opens up opportunities for others. Dreams can come true. It doesnt have to be over night. (It took me 20 years :))
Maybe a white knight will appear and throw them some $$$$$

Great post trev!!!!!!

Obviously we are all in the early stages of the points system and will all soon be faced with the salary cap. So i ask everyone for their thoughts at this early stage.

I personally can not see how our comp can keep getting stronger with the points system being introduced. It limits every clubs recruiting and the fact our comp is surrounded by stronger comps will make it near impossible to keep our talent here. Our players will be targetted by all surrounding leagues and on the flip side we will all be very very limited to bringing in quality from stronger leagues. If the points system was designed for equalisation may i be the first to say that the lower clubs will now find it harder than ever to catch up to the pack at the top. Just wait to the cap comes in next year and some clubs have to lose 50k worth of their playing list. Once again we will see the leaving players end up in the stronger comps surrounding us. Imo every club should have stood up and refused the new system like several other comps have done. Im happy to embrace the new system because obviously it affects us all however maintain my opinion that the rdfl is now 5 to 10 years away from being a woefull comp again!!!!!

Some EDFL premier clubs had meetings with the league and voiced there disapproval. I personally think some clubs from all leagues should meet with the afl and raise there concerns. As you know it's difficult due to clubs being run by volunteers and some just don't have the skills, knowledge or time to pursue the afl on this. But maybe a small elected group on behalf of some clubs might work..
To many clubs just got bullied by the afl.

Great post trev!!!!!!

Obviously we are all in the early stages of the points system and will all soon be faced with the salary cap. So i ask everyone for their thoughts at this early stage.

I personally can not see how our comp can keep getting stronger with the points system being introduced. It limits every clubs recruiting and the fact our comp is surrounded by stronger comps will make it near impossible to keep our talent here. Our players will be targetted by all surrounding leagues and on the flip side we will all be very very limited to bringing in quality from stronger leagues. If the points system was designed for equalisation may i be the first to say that the lower clubs will now find it harder than ever to catch up to the pack at the top. Just wait to the cap comes in next year and some clubs have to lose 50k worth of their playing list. Once again we will see the leaving players end up in the stronger comps surrounding us. Imo every club should have stood up and refused the new system like several other comps have done. Im happy to embrace the new system because obviously it affects us all however maintain my opinion that the rdfl is now 5 to 10 years away from being a woefull comp again!!!!!
The points system in smaller clubs and towns has the potential to close there doors, not the best way to try and even out the rdfl, work harder on bringing back the a and b devision like the old rdfl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back