RDFL Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good rumour or sighting of a coach in enemy territory hey.

If Helmers had a dollar for every club he is supposed to be coaching next season he probably wouldn't need to coach, not for the cash anyway. Sightings and rumours from length and breadth on the RDFL and beyond I hear.

Seriously though if and when he does decide to go around again wherever or whoever he coaches will definitely have one of the best going around, his record over the past 4 season is testament to that, in my humble opinion.

Good response PeterO

But can you confirm wether Romsey have signed a coach as yet.
Also are they in crisis with all the BIG money takers leaving the club

I see article in Sunbury leader about Lancefield struggling to recruit players(someone may be able to post link).No surprise in that and I reckon wont be long and they be on the move to another comp cos they certainly cant compete in the Rdfl now.

Romsey will finish bottom . I have heard they haven't spoke to any players and the blokes running the show have know idea

I see article in Sunbury leader about Lancefield struggling to recruit players(someone may be able to post link).No surprise in that and I reckon wont be long and they be on the move to another comp cos they certainly cant compete in the Rdfl now.

Yep could be back to 9-10 clubs soon enough, with a real Western feel. Straight up and down the highway to/from Ballarat and the whole two tiered comp we've been tossing around could in fact become Goldfields Div.1 & 2.

Read that today too.

Link

LANCEFIELD is hoping the improvement left in its playing group will be enough to help it climb the ladder next season with the club battling to snare recruits in recent months.

The Tigers were keen to add a handful of new players to their list for next year’s Riddell District Football League campaign, but have found the going difficult despite having countless discussions with prospective players and an allocation of six bonus points under the player points cap.

For years they had the pleasure of hosting the grand final and boosting the bank to have a decent crack every 4 or 5 years. 2 Years now with out the big dance, the question is can they financially keep up without it.
If not, it is proof the RDFL should share game day revenue among clubs during the finals campaign. (If they want to be involved)
Equalisation at a local level. ;)

For years they had the pleasure of hosting the grand final and boosting the bank to have a decent crack every 4 or 5 years. 2 Years now with out the big dance, the question is can they financially keep up without it.
If not, it is proof the RDFL should share game day revenue among clubs during the finals campaign. (If they want to be involved)
KDFL
All finals gates and profits bar etc shared equally between all clubs

Yep could be back to 9-10 clubs soon enough, with a real Western feel. Straight up and down the highway to/from Ballarat and the whole two tiered comp we've been tossing around could in fact become Goldfields Div.1 & 2.

I think there is a fair bit more in this that what some may think Doona. The revamp is on the cards for sure and I have said repeatedly that my prediction is the same clubs today will not be the same clubs in 3 years time. Gisborne, Melton and Melton South all struggling, footy goes in cycles, Gisborne have not dropped off competitive wise like the other two but we all see now they face significant challenges, atleast they have a strong junior system. Preseasons probably started for all teams, hearing around the traps assumptions based on recruiting Diggers (Birdie), Romsey (bogey), Broadford (eagle), Riddell (par), Macedon (eagle), Rupo (par) ,Sunbury (par), space then the rest, no one is coming from outside the 6 to compete for the flag. Diggers, Broadford, Macedon with riddell and rupo pushing for the premiership in 2016?

I agree with sharing all finals profits equally and yes Lancefield had a good run for many years.However I dont think a town like Lancefield can compete with others in this comp due to lack of population and juniors coming through.
This new points system about to kick off and salary cap from 2017 wont solve much in my eyes.Afl vic needs to completely restructure competitions throughout the state as its a mess.I know many on here think Rdfl is healthy but how can it be when you have the same sides struggling year after year.Lets face it Lancefield will pretty much replace Kilmore as the easy game this year whereby top clubs will rest players and lower clubs will relish a rare when playing them.
One things certain and that is goldfields in its current format is useless and a waste of time and money.Until Afl vic do a complete restructure most local footy comps are cactus.

I agree with sharing all finals profits equally and yes Lancefield had a good run for many years.However I dont think a town like Lancefield can compete with others in this comp due to lack of population and juniors coming through.
This new points system about to kick off and salary cap from 2017 wont solve much in my eyes.Afl vic needs to completely restructure competitions throughout the state as its a mess.I know many on here think Rdfl is healthy but how can it be when you have the same sides struggling year after year.Lets face it Lancefield will pretty much replace Kilmore as the easy game this year whereby top clubs will rest players and lower clubs will relish a rare when playing them.
One things certain and that is goldfields in its current format is useless and a waste of time and money.Until Afl vic do a complete restructure most local footy comps are cactus.

Exactly what was predicted when AFL Goldfields took over the running of the RDFL.
Still think AFL Goldfields will set up a major league called Goldfields with a few supporting leagues, all we can hope for is that as many current RDFL clubs will be allowed to still compete and we keep our name, the oldest league in the game.
By the way promotion relegation will not work as all the money and points concessions will go to the Goldfields league, and thus it will be impossible for the second tier clubs to improve their status.
On the question of sharing finals receipts, this was suggested by the ok'd board and was rejected by the CLUBS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the question of sharing finals receipts, this was suggested by the ok'd board and was rejected by the CLUBS.
Yep clubs had a chance to vote on this and it didn't get up. I can understand the clubs that get a final every year not voting for it but some of the clubs that get the raw end of the stick didn't vote for it either. Something does need to be done about this though as its a massive advantage for some clubs.

Yep clubs had a chance to vote on this and it didn't get up. I can understand the clubs that get a final every year not voting for it but some of the clubs that get the raw end of the stick didn't vote for it either. Something does need to be done about this though as its a massive advantage for some clubs.
I was at that meeting and from what i can recall (i stand corrected if i am fuzzy on some of the details) the majority of clubs did not vote in favour of it. Some of the reasons were that it was going to be hosted at a current RDFNL club ground and then other clubs would be allocated e.g. Bar, BBQ, Raffle etc. as an example with those particular clubs supplying their own product/goods and any profit going to them, and this would be on a rotating allocation system so say for example purposes at the end of a 5 year cycle all clubs had had an opportunity to raise some revenue from the GF. The logistics and planning something like this and using another clubs facilities and resources comes with its own array of nightmares, so clubs opted not to vote for it.

There was also a suggestion to do something similar like they do in the Goldfields with a neutral ground (Sunbury Lions Ground was touted as a possibility) hosting the GF and participating clubs being allocated Bar, BBQ etc etc on a similar rotating allocation system, which according to the Goldfield boys works a treat?. At the same time this raised further questions from club presidents and representatives, how much $ will the neutral ground/club ask or make from it with the potential of RDFNL money going to another club/league, plus the same concerns around logistics and fairness for all clubs.

I am sure if someone can suggest a solution that in the end is fair and equitable to most if not all clubs in the RDFNL then i have enough faith that our clubs would vote for it. Pie in sky??? or can we evolve and all clubs work together for the greater good to achieve this??? Just saying.

I was at that meeting and from what i can recall (i stand corrected if i am fuzzy on some of the details) the majority of clubs did not vote in favour of it. Some of the reasons were that it was going to be hosted at a current RDFNL club ground and then other clubs would be allocated e.g. Bar, BBQ, Raffle etc. as an example with those particular clubs supplying their own product/goods and any profit going to them, and this would be on a rotating allocation system so say for example purposes at the end of a 5 year cycle all clubs had had an opportunity to raise some revenue from the GF. The logistics and planning something like this and using another clubs facilities and resources comes with its own array of nightmares, so clubs opted not to vote for it.

There was also a suggestion to do something similar like they do in the Goldfields with a neutral ground (Sunbury Lions Ground was touted as a possibility) hosting the GF and participating clubs being allocated Bar, BBQ etc etc on a similar rotating allocation system, which according to the Goldfield boys works a treat?. At the same time this raised further questions from club presidents and representatives, how much $ will the neutral ground/club ask or make from it with the potential of RDFNL money going to another club/league, plus the same concerns around logistics and fairness for all clubs.

I am sure if someone can suggest a solution that in the end is fair and equitable to most if not all clubs in the RDFNL then i have enough faith that our clubs would vote for it. Pie in sky??? or can we evolve and all clubs work together for the greater good to achieve this??? Just saying.
You Are correct Peter o but this system is used in the Ballarat league speaking to peddo Melton south was rosterd on this finals and made a huge amount of $$ along with the other clubs rosted

Just reading these posts on finals allocation. I'm not involved in the RDFL so probably have no right to comment, but will anyway.
I think the finals should be played on the best ground. By that I mean ground surface, facilities, car parking, public transport etc need to be considered.
The home club will profit from the "clubrooms" bar and kitchen as its just to difficult to let another in due to stock in these places, however other clubs should be allowed to operate a number of BBQs and Beer tents, even go as far as have a beer tent outside the clubrooms.
Surely this is best for all clubs and most importantly spectators to have good shelter, toilets etc. I do understand this might favour certain clubs with good facilities but over time facilities at clubs do change due to upgrades..

Cheers..

The amount of work, time and money required to host a grand final is incredible. Then u take into account that the rdfl take the entire gate takings. Its not a massive financial winfall. Clubs are now speaking up about wanting a piece of the pie, i dont see a problem with that either but i guarantee youll find that The grand final will not end up at the best venues because those clubs will not put in that amount of effort required to bring in 5k.

The amount of work, time and money required to host a grand final is incredible. Then u take into account that the rdfl take the entire gate takings. Its not a massive financial winfall. Clubs are now speaking up about wanting a piece of the pie, i dont see a problem with that either but i guarantee youll find that The grand final will not end up at the best venues because those clubs will not put in that amount of effort required to bring in 5k.

It needs to be at the best available ground to show piece your league to all. Agree it's a lot of work including the cleaning up, so I think the home club should at least make some money from running the bar inside the social club and the kitchen, but other allocated clubs can run a beer tent and BBQ. Surely that's a win, win.

I went to the VFL preliminary finals this year at Port Melb. Great ground, great atmosphere, but not enough food due to operating only the kitchen. And not enough toilets. If some club would have run 2 BBQs they would have made plenty.

Hay mate how you travelling
Have to disagree there is no way that romsey netted only 5 k profit some one not telling you the true end line perhaps agree a lot of work and believe that after paying the fees clubs pay the sponsorship the league attains grants and windfalls from afl and vic gov that the $$$ made from all finals including gates should be distributed evenly to all clubs like the KDFL do

I think there is a fair bit more in this that what some may think Doona. The revamp is on the cards for sure and I have said repeatedly that my prediction is the same clubs today will not be the same clubs in 3 years time. Gisborne, Melton and Melton South all struggling, footy goes in cycles, Gisborne have not dropped off competitive wise like the other two but we all see now they face significant challenges, atleast they have a strong junior system. Preseasons probably started for all teams, hearing around the traps assumptions based on recruiting Diggers (Birdie), Romsey (bogey), Broadford (eagle), Riddell (par), Macedon (eagle), Rupo (par) ,Sunbury (par), space then the rest, no one is coming from outside the 6 to compete for the flag. Diggers, Broadford, Macedon with riddell and rupo pushing for the premiership in 2016?
Riddell only par ?
They have signed a ex bendigo football league best and fairest (scott walsh), his brother tim who will be one of if not the become very quickly the best backman in the league.
Have regained ben sonogan who is a jet, and have also secured a few others from gisborne who couldnt quite cement their spots in the ones.
I'd say riddell have done very well indeed.
Macedon asides from waters, knox and summerfield have tom may and patrick fitzgerald training with them.
Add those two boys to the list if pts permit and you have a very good side indeed.

Riddell only par ?
They have signed a ex bendigo football league best and fairest (scott walsh), his brother tim who will be one of if not the become very quickly the best backman in the league.
Have regained ben sonogan who is a jet, and have also secured a few others from gisborne who couldnt quite cement their spots in the ones.
I'd say riddell have done very well indeed.
Macedon asides from waters, knox and summerfield have tom may and patrick fitzgerald training with them.
Add those two boys to the list if pts permit and you have a very good side indeed.

Sorry Whispering Jack your obviously a lot closer to the action than I. I thought those gains who no doubt will be very good would be offset by the departures of Matt Darby, Ethan Foreman and I was told Paul Sahlberg gone for a fair chunk of the year. Is it true there are also ????? on a few others? So that initially formulated my opinion of the par assumption. Great on Sonogan and Co but if you could not cement your place in Gisborne side last year, good luck getting into Riddells, they like all the top clubs have had plenty of players from Sunbury and Gisborne over the years that have been fringe players that remain fringe players in the RDFL cause the top clubs are so strong, should we talk about Campbell who went to the kangas. Sounds though by what your saying that Riddell are obviously spending up, will want success and I think I did say in my post would be in the 5 clubs pushing hard for the flag like they always are. Was told that the cats have 3 more coming like you say points permitting.

Last edited:
Tom May and Fitzgerald would make Macedon heavy favorites for next year in my opinion. May is exactly what they need. The only way they could fit them in their points would be to lose a few of the previous years recruits. Harrison is a gun on 4 points but they have others they could easily afford to lose on 3-4 points. By my reckoning Knox is 5 points, Waters 4, May 4-5, Fitzgerald 4 all depending on Gisbornes B and F results.

Macedon also has the best draw of the contenders in my view.

Sorry Whispering Jack your obviously a lot closer to the action than I. I thought those gains who no doubt will be very good would be offset by the departures of Matt Darby, Ethan Foreman and I was told Paul Sahlberg gone for a fair chunk of the year. Is it true there are also ????? on a few others? So that initially formulated my opinion of the par assumption. Great on Sonogan and Co but if you could not cement your place in Gisborne side last year, good luck getting into Riddells, they like all the top clubs have had plenty of players from Sunbury and Gisborne over the years that have been fringe players that remain fringe players in the RDFL cause the top clubs are so strong, should we talk about Campbell who went to the kangas. Sounds though by what your saying that Riddell are obviously spending up, will want success and I think I did say in my post would be in the 5 clubs pushing hard for the flag like they always are. Was told that the cats have 3 more coming like you say points permitting.
Are you suggesting that Campbell is a fringe player in the RDFL?

Are you suggesting that Campbell is a fringe player in the RDFL?

Lucky to be called that! Are you suggesting he is or has actually delivered more than that? In fairness though on a serious note I have not seen lots of him I used him as an example of a guy that came with a reasonable rep and whilst he was one that played regularly I would not say he has made a major contribution to this league. There are plenty of others I am sure even your club could name that come and play combo of ones and reserves, great for depth, but lets not talk about them as being hidden gems until they deliver something. That's the exact talk that inflates ego's and gets club in trouble with player payments. Again, my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back