NFL Referee Regrets Calls in 2006 Super Bowl

Remove this Banner Ad

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444048
"It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that," said the veteran of 15 NFL seasons and two Super Bowls.
"It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly," Leavy said of the game in February 2006. "I'll go to my grave wishing that I'd been better."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444048

Poor Seattle fans. To come out now and talk about it, gotta feel like the knife is being twisted in again.

Re: Ref regrets calls in '06 Superbowl

well when i saw the headline i thought it was going to be about the colts/Bears game. but now i get it. well it seems like the last 2 SB's the steelers have won there were decisions that could go wither way.

Re: Ref regrets calls in '06 Superbowl

well when i saw the headline i thought it was going to be about the colts/Bears game. but now i get it. well it seems like the last 2 SB's the steelers have won there were decisions that could go either way.

now, now... no need to turn a couple of ordinary calls into a COMPLETE BALLGAME result.

Seattle still drove into their REDZONE in last quarter (helllllo!!) and got picked off!! :p So that INT didn't mean anything??? :rolleyes: **short memory**

Watch the highlight reel again..

[YOUTUBE]1pA5gXCvE80[/YOUTUBE]

The signature plays that were made without the officials help were clearly the difference. I stated at the time (after the game) that the Seahawks got screwed over 4 points Offensive pass Interference in Endzone and the Steelers got a dubious TD that was 'LUCKY' . Other than that, the Seahawks
didn't do much else to help their cause.. teams that get screwed over with holding penalties should be good enough to OVERCOME those 'setbacks' and play better not expect to sulk and think they deserve to win without doing anything more.

As for SB XLIII... please let us know where in the Steelers final drive was anything 'enhanced' by officials, Aussiedude?? Unlike the Seahawks, the Cardinals OVERCOME their setbacks to fight back and capitalize on their opportunities.

But Don't get me started on the Jerry Rice fumble.. (1998 post-season) :mad::mad:

Re: Ref Regrets Calls in '06 Super Bowl

Lol i love this quote from MH in that article.....:D

The next day, then-Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren told fans at a civic gathering at Qwest Field: "I knew it was going to be tough going up against the Pittsburgh Steelers. I didn't know we were going to have to play the guys in the striped shirts, as well."

That win also levelled up the Lombardi trophy's with us to 5 a piece!! Those bastard Steelers! :p:p

as a seahawk fan, i've moved on but it is a painful memory, especially when the hawks slipped back in mediocrity after the superbowl. My mother had a tough time forgiving me for spray painting the trees and the dog green and blue that day.

Not gonna work -- deflecting from Steeler favoritism to Patriot favoritism.

meh.

So the 2005/06 Super Bowl wasn't the most exciting of them all and the losing team couldn't overcome their 'minor' setbacks.. no indication of Steeler favouritism considering my TWO examples with Troy Polamalu. :)

I'd too, be sickened with that confession but knowingly aware that regardless what happens, you can't believe that a 'should've been score' would've have changed the result from the first quarter/ half. There's more to a game than sulking over THREE botched play-calls and in this instance, the Seahawks still had their chances in the SECOND HALF but were denied by the Steeler D. Simple as that.

But getting back to the TUCK Rule game GG, did you recall in the third quarter that DE Regan Upshaw sacked Tom Brady for minus 7 yards in the Raiders Redzone but FUMBLED the Recovery!! :eek: happened with over 4min remaining. The score was Oak 10-3 at the time. Raiders scored a FG on their next drive but sheesh... that costly missed opportunity went begging BIG TIME!! :D

lol at woodson.

Why are you apparently defending the result for? Still feeling a little blessed that the steelers won?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol at woodson.

Why are you apparently defending the result for? Still feeling a little blessed that the steelers won?

Defending of the result is more about underlining the facts of the matter rather than allowing the wrong perception to draw into the minds of those who don't care to know any better. Heck, if the highlight reel doesn't show the PICK at the Steelers 5 in the last quarter, who is going to remember that and not know any better expect for the botched calls? And the Seahawks missed a Field Goal too!

Of course you've gotta feel blessed. Take nothing for granted. So the Steelers got the 'controversial' calls going their way. That's a blessing in itself. Can't deny that.

Dick Vermeil (bow heads) always said that to win you not only have to be overcome the other team, but also overcome the venue, the weather and the officiating. If you lose it's because you weren't good enough to overcome all the adversity required to win.

He also said that it doesn't do any good to get a league apology on Wednesday for a blown call on Sunday.

Sums up the whole thread IMO. Except for that bit about the Raiders having to choke the tuck rule. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back