Removing interstate clubs from FTA broadcast

Remove this Banner Ad

Modern technology has made replay shows like "The Winners" redundant. You can watch abbreviated match replays on afl.com.au or the AFL app.
I do not agree with first part but the second part is correct.
However I want a condensed, all in one place/show wrap up for round replay show.
It is what I miss in the weekend footy diet.

Would this effect the integrity of the draw, if the clubs are missing from the fta deal surely they're less likely to get the prime spots?
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Would this effect the integrity of the draw, if the clubs are missing from the fta deal surely they're less likely to get the prime spots?

In theory, it should help bring more integrity to the fixture.

Currently, Vic clubs only get on FTA if they're playing in the prime timeslots, so to bring some balance between them and non-Vic clubs, the AFL schedules them with more than they 'should' have. Putting all clubs on a more even FTA exposure, that should mean clubs get more even chances at the primetime slots.

Of course, there is no 'evenness' between Vic clubs now in that regard, even though they're playing under the same limitations, so it'd be hard to imagine the AFL would give a crap with it being more clubs being dealt with that way.

This whole deal is about squeezing as much media $$$ as they can, and to do that the more media friendly clubs will most likely get even more exposure as a result.

Free to air games this year (rd 23 tbd)

Western Bulldogs 16
Melbourne 14
St Kilda 13
Richmond 12
Carlton 12
Collingwood 12
Brisbane 10
Hawthorn 9
Essendon 9
Sydney 9
Geelong 9
Greater Western Sydney 7
Port Adelaide 7
Fremantle 4
Gold Coast 2
North Melbourne 1
West Coast 1
Adelaide 1

Western Bulldogs 16
Melbourne 14
St Kilda 13
Richmond 12
Carlton 12
Collingwood 12
Brisbane 10
Hawthorn 9
Essendon 9
Sydney 9
Geelong 9
Greater Western Sydney 7
Port Adelaide 7
Fremantle 4
Gold Coast 2
North Melbourne 1
West Coast 1
Adelaide 1

How many FTA games does Adelaide & Port have aired into South Australia? How about West Coast & Freo into WA?

Last edited:
How many FTA games does Adelaide & Port have aired into South Australia? How about Wesr Coast & Freo into WA?
All SA, WA, NSW and QLD teams get all 22 games on FTA in their local market. For SA and WA there is a 3 hour delay on 3 of the games for each team.

All SA, WA, NSW and QLD teams get all 22 games on FTA in their local market. For SA and WA there is a 3 hour delay on 3 of the games for each team.

So Adelaide had 22 FTA games this year, 19 of them live.

Good to know. Not sure why Dirty Bird posted otherwise. Seems to be misleading IMO

Not sure why @Dirty Bird posted otherwise. Seems to be misleading IMO
That post refers to the games Channel 7 produces and are broadcast on FTA in the Victorian market.

If Channel 7 doesn't produce a local team's game in SA/WA/QLD/NSW then they simulcast the Foxtel feed into that market.

That post refers to the games Channel 7 produces and are broadcast on FTA in the Victorian market.

If Channel 7 doesn't produce a local team's game in SA/WA/QLD/NSW then they simulcast the Foxtel feed into that market.

Then why didn't he say that instead of "Free to air games this year"

As I said, misleading information IMO with the intent to push an agenda.

As Basketball, and Soccer, and any number of other disappearing junior codes in Australia have found out to their detriment, there is an intangible value to having a consistent, predictable presence on free to air that isn't really obvious until it's gone.

This didn't sound quite right to me so i did a bit of Googling. According to this basketball participation numbers are 6.8% up from 2016-2021. Not junior numbers like you said but hardly disappearing if the sport is growing at lower levels. Soccer actually have some pretty good annual reports - National Participation Reports. They went from 214,414 miniroos and 155,539 juniors (12-18) in 2015 to 239,002 miniroos and 165,378 juniors in 2019. There was a loss in 2021 (234,449 miniroos and 161,102 juniors) but I think every code would have felt that.

You've got this backwards. It should be fair enough home games not being on FTA in SA, because the option of going to Adelaide/Optus Oval is there. Away games should be on FTA. Those are the matches that are utterly impractical to watch, unlike in Melbourne where you can still go and watch your side through most of their away games.
Most SA and WA games will sell out even being free against the gate.
But every club should have all its games played out of state live and free into the club's main market. Ideally all matches would be free across the country, even if some are on delay for free and live only for pay.

No.

Seven and Nine have never had the rights jointly.

Nine and Ten did, and Seven and Ten did, but Ten had exclusive broadcasts on Saturdays, while Seven and Nine did Friday and Sunday.
And the 7/10 and 9/10 years were half Foxtel exclusive as well. Foxtel has had exclusive rights to far too many games from the time OptusVision collapsed.

But every club should have all its games played out of state live and free into the club's main market. Ideally all matches would be free across the country, even if some are on delay for free and live only for pay.
That would work for the non-Vic market (we already get all the Lions and Suns games on FTA (mostly on Mate)) but is there space / viewership / interest for 9 games spread out across the weekend ... or using eg 7, 73 and Mate if there were multiple games on in overlapping timeslots etc?

Btw how did they decide which game was on TV back in the day when all the games in the VFL were played simultaneously?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would work for the non-Vic market (we already get all the Lions and Suns games on FTA (mostly on Mate)) but is there space / viewership / interest for 9 games spread out across the weekend ... or using eg 7, 73 and Mate if there were multiple games on in overlapping timeslots etc?

Btw how did they decide which game was on TV back in the day when all the games in the VFL were played simultaneously?

They picked what they thought was the best one, then there was a wrap up show at 5ish which showed highlights of the other games.

Speaking from my memories of the late 1980s-early 90s before the advent of pay tv:

In Victoria Saturday afternoon games were never shown live, although games were telecast live into interstate markets.
At 6pm there was a 90 minutes highlights show on Seven which showed the best passages of play from one or sometimes two games.
There would usually be 4-5 games starting at 2pm on a Saturday, some of which got no television coverage apart from a minute or two of highlights on the news.

All games played interstate would be live on Channel 7 (usually on Saturday night around 8pm AEST, or Sunday 2pm)

Friday Night games if played in Melbourne were shown as a delayed telecast starting at 9.30pm.

Sunday afternoon would usually be a live game played in Sydney or Brisbane, sometimes followed by a twilight game live from Adelaide.
If games were played in Victoria on a Sunday there would be a 1 hour highlights package either at 5pm or sometimes late at night.

Western Bulldogs 16
Melbourne 14
St Kilda 13
Richmond 12
Carlton 12
Collingwood 12
Brisbane 10
Hawthorn 9
Essendon 9
Sydney 9
Geelong 9
Greater Western Sydney 7
Port Adelaide 7
Fremantle 4
Gold Coast 2
North Melbourne 1
West Coast 1
Adelaide 1

Haven't watched FTA in years, but that's shocking. My dear old nan who's followed North since the 50s would get to watch her team once this year.

As a Melbourne based Crow fan this doesn't affect me at all as Crows rarely on FTA in Melbourne which is fair enough -

On the odd occasion they are on FTA I am reminded how bad ch7 is and adverts absolutely ruin it for me -
OMG - those AAMI ads after every goal were the worst. I watch everything on Kayo now just to avoid them.

Back as a kid there were no matches live into Melbourne on a Saturday afternoon when all the matches were played.
If I was on family holiday on school holidays you would find out of Melbourne there usually was a live game on channel 7 or whatever was the equivalent network in a regional centre at the time. It was just generally what they considered match of the day. The lead commentary team of Peter Landy, Lou Richards and Bob Skilton would be on. I remember watching a live match from Windy Hill as a kid on Sunshine Coast between Essendon and Hawks. But in Melbourne the only live matches was when South Melbourne relocated to Sydney, the deal was Swans matches from Sydney would be live every second Sunday. But on Saturday arvo when the other 5 matches were on, there was no live matches. You either had to be at the match or follow it on radio.
The ABC had a footy panel review show of the matches around 6 pm that would be 30 minutes of talking about each match and some brief highlights as the panel member at the match described his thoughts on both sides. Then at 6-30 pm they would show the best quarter of their match of the round before they went to their 7 pm news. Also at 6-30 pm was when channel 7 replay show started. That would go for two hours with about 35 minutes from three matches. They would try to pick the best part of each match to show a replay of so you did get a feel for how each match was decided.
ABC also had an hour replay show called The Winners. That apparently was a national replay show so it was shown in Melbourne and everywhere else.
I think in Melbourne it was on late Saturday night and then also Sunday arvo. Seemed to have a cult following in other states on Sunday arvo.

But that was all you got each round in Melbourne. About 1.5 hours on ABC over Saturday and Sunday and 2 hours on channel 7 on Saturday night.
Sunday was for channel 7 to show a reserves match after World of Sport or the live coverage of Sydney's match from Sydney every second weekend.

In 1987 when Eagles and Bears joined was the start of the transition to a lot more live matches. Then you started to have about two matches from interstate each weekend to show live. In 1987 was also when channel 7 lost the tv rights. On FTA for that year you had it on the ABC. You might get a few Friday night live matches from Perth then. The North home matches on Friday night was a thing then too but I think that was a delayed telecast well after 9 pm or something.

Can’t see any reason why interstate viewers think they should remain entitled to watch every game of their teams on FTA….. not to mention every game of the other team based in their state if they want to watch those games as well.

VIC viewers get maybe half that.

It makes sense from a tv rights perspective to ask WA and SA viewers to do what Vic viewers do too and dip their hands in their pockets and pay for a streaming service

Not asking to be argumentative but the crowds at both Adelaide and Port games haven't been close to full this year.
Are they sold out aligned to paid members for which there are no tickets available to the general public?

Western Bulldogs 16
Melbourne 14
St Kilda 13
Richmond 12
Carlton 12
Collingwood 12
Brisbane 10
Hawthorn 9
Essendon 9
Sydney 9
Geelong 9
Greater Western Sydney 7
Port Adelaide 7
Fremantle 4
Gold Coast 2
North Melbourne 1
West Coast 1
Adelaide 1

Theres a few qualifieres on here - as others havent pointed out all non victorian sides are guaranteed FTA coverage in their home states. Many of these matches will be shown in more than one market (either as a national broadcast or against another non victorian side).

Saturday night/Sunday FTA coverage is generally split, with almost none of these games national shown in all markets.

Can’t see any reason why interstate viewers think they should remain entitled to watch every game of their teams on FTA….. not to mention every game of the other team based in their state if they want to watch those games as well.

VIC viewers get maybe half that.

It makes sense from a tv rights perspective to ask WA and SA viewers to do what Vic viewers do too and dip their hands in their pockets and pay for a streaming service
Let us know when we can pop down to our home ground, or across the CBD to watch multiple away matches featuring our team.

Not asking to be argumentative but the crowds at both Adelaide and Port games haven't been close to full this year.
Are they sold out aligned to paid members for which there are no tickets available to the general public?
SA crowds have been poor. This could be explained by a couple of things:

Adelaide: Generally poor on field. Have a very high number of older members who have stayed away due to Covid.
Port: Hinkley is a campaigner and should burn in Hell.

Or there's a general loss in interest in a game/league controlled by the Corrupt Victorian State Government for the benefit of its own constituents

Either way, taking the locakl teams off FTA would be a futrther nail in what was per capita was the most rabid Aussie Rules watching state.

Not sure about WA, I think they're a bit different over there, but it wont be a positive change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back