Rumour Reported interest in Jarryn Geary

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be only trading or chasing a free agent that is:
A) all Australian calibre or has been very close to that level (Rivers, Mcintosh and Frawley meet this requirement)
B) expansion team younger player looking to come home (Caddy, Adams)

We will not be chasing players who have failed at other clubs or not reached their potential. I don't believe we recruit to fill holes like Sydney and (less successfully) Richmond. We prefer the draft unless we can get a player through methods a or b listed above.

I have not seen enough of the guy but will he be big enough to cover Lonergan with a few pre-seasons ? I did not think him tall or solid enough for that role. More like a Rivers replacement from what I have read.
TomL is 197 , Kolo 194
Lets face it , thats only a guide to whether someone is right for a role. Hold your thumb up thats 3cm , so height is just one stat. Reach , strength , speed , football nous etc all play a part that can allow an under sized play do role while a player with the right stats is left floundering. West was 198 but just didn't look comfortable.

When I watched Kolo , he looks like could plays as a River type , he reads it well intercepts marks , can kick it well ... so if a spot was there we could play him in that role but at times he also looks quite happy to body up , outmark or spoil , to back into packs. Meaning after a couple of preseasons he could well be a strong KPB with the other criteria as well.

A) all Australian calibre or has been very close to that level (Rivers, Mcintosh and Frawley meet this requirement)

We will not be chasing players who have failed at other clubs or not reached their potential. I don't believe we recruit to fill holes like Sydney and (less successfully) Richmond. We prefer the draft unless we can get a player through methods a or b listed above.

BP , not sure on your B.
That's not technically a FA is it? Unless its a delisted player I guess then they can walk into a club as a FA. Wouldn't that be a failed player? I guess thats purely on a trade situation , as you said with Caddy. Which by the way I agree with. Buntine has been mentioned before , and what I have seen would say he would be a kid worth a look

I'm guessing you would say Geary is a gap filler and we will not chase him?

I know the club is already in scooter's ear about trying to get him as a free agent next year and he is neither A nor B. So while i agree with that general philosophy it isnt a catch all and we will make exceptions for players we really want.

I know the club is already in scooter's ear about trying to get him as a free agent next year and he is neither A nor B. So while i agree with that general philosophy it isnt a catch all and we will make exceptions for players we really want.

I think Scott Selwood would be pretty close to all Australian caliber, in terms of his role as a defensive midfielder. He has won at least b and f, so I would group him in A.

BP , not sure on your B.
That's not technically a FA is it? Unless its a delisted player I guess then they can walk into a club as a FA. Wouldn't that be a failed player? I guess thats purely on a trade situation , as you said with Caddy. Which by the way I agree with. Buntine has been mentioned before , and what I have seen would say he would be a kid worth a look

I'm guessing you would say Geary is a gap filler and we will not chase him?

Yes, I meant we would trade for B (I was missing comma!), A we would chase through FA.

I don't think we will chase Geary, gap fillers are no the way to go for us. Just my opinion, I don't know this for sure. Just think Geary would be a backward step for us.

D&T thread WC people have been keen to accept our Rd1 for Scooter suggesting both is a win win. Point being there is a feeling that it is a chance and not a deal that needs to be loaded too far in either direction.

There was a request / offer for a Duncan and Scooter swap. I didn't feel that was right. Duncan too important to us and if they'll take our Rd1 I feel that for Scooter is a win win.

Go Catters

D&T thread WC people have been keen to accept our Rd1 for Scooter suggesting both is a win win. Point being there is a feeling that it is a chance and not a deal that needs to be loaded too far in either direction.

There was a request / offer for a Duncan and Scooter swap. I didn't feel that was right. Duncan too important to us and if they'll take our Rd1 I feel that for Scooter is a win win.

Go Catters

Giving away a round 1 to lock him away a year early feels like a lot. Depends on how close we look to a Premiership at 30 September. If he is the missing piece happy to get him for a round one, otherwise just get him for nothing the next year.

Go Catters

Im not sure there is a term for it , but my guess is that's a Pre-Emptive type trade. He is FA next year isn't he? Get a R1 pick for the loss of 12 months , be a good deal for them. North did it with Hmac , we took him 12 month before FA , took his backended contract and watched him on te sidelines for that 12 month.
R2 or a player that's willing to go like Stringer for mine.

TomL is 197 , Kolo 194
Lets face it , thats only a guide to whether someone is right for a role. Hold your thumb up thats 3cm , so height is just one stat. Reach , strength , speed , football nous etc all play a part that can allow an under sized play do role while a player with the right stats is left floundering. West was 198 but just didn't look comfortable.

When I watched Kolo , he looks like could plays as a River type , he reads it well intercepts marks , can kick it well ... so if a spot was there we could play him in that role but at times he also looks quite happy to body up , outmark or spoil , to back into packs. Meaning after a couple of preseasons he could well be a strong KPB with the other criteria as well.
3cm thumb? Sounds like you are lacking a bit in the glove compartment Turbo :D

Last edited:
If we could nab SSelwood that would be immediately bolster our midfield depth, & allow us to use Guthrie optimally; he seems the ideal player to go all out for.
I agree we should keep Duncan if we can, he is one of our best finishers in front of goal.
No knowledge of Geary, but if CS rates him, there must be something.
I'm still getting over the out of favourness of Taylor Hunt, hoping it's not final.

Im not sure there is a term for it , but my guess is that's a Pre-Emptive type trade. He is FA next year isn't he? Get a R1 pick for the loss of 12 months , be a good deal for them. North did it with Hmac , we took him 12 month before FA , took his backended contract and watched him on te sidelines for that 12 month.
R2 or a player that's willing to go like Stringer for mine.
How many of those we have at present?!
Stringer
Shroder
Sheringham
Meanwhile, I'm still wondering if and when Burbury gets another crack. He definitely has something that is desirable, but did not produce it after the jaw.

Stringer
Shroder
Sheringham
Meanwhile, I'm still wondering if and when Burbury gets another crack. He definitely has something that is desirable, but did not produce it after the jaw.

Who all wouldn't be wroth a wet piece of toast for at the trade table

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who all wouldn't be wroth a wet piece of toast for at the trade table
Possibly correct.
Our most tradeworthy players are Duncan, Bundy, and Guthrie, imho. Of those, Duncan to WA/Qld for an appropriate gun would be the least painful. And I'm thinking David Swallow, O'Meara, S Selwood, type players. Some of GC's stars just can't be kept there indefinitely, can they?

Possibly correct.
Our most tradeworthy players are Duncan, Bundy, and Guthrie, imho. Of those, Duncan to WA/Qld for an appropriate gun would be the least painful. And I'm thinking David Swallow, O'Meara, S Selwood, type players. Some of GC's stars just can't be kept there indefinitely, can they?

I don't think that they will have trouble keeping there best players, they would know that if they stay together they are going to be a strong team. The ones who are regulars won't leave. Their stars will be well compensated, it's hard to get "homesick" when your playing well in a good team for good money. They will however lose players who aren't getting a lot of game time due to being further back in the pecking order or suffered multiple injuries.

Players who fit said profile

Seb Tape: pick 13 2010, zero games this year, did his an ACL last year and is currently suffering from a Hamstring injury;plays a similar role to Rivers

Tom Nicholls: one the their 12 17 year olds, 6 games this year, has had two separate knee injuries and is there second number 1 ruckman before smith

Daniel Gorringe: pick 10 2010,zero games this year, suffered a lot of leg injuries, his latest being his Achilles, behind Nicholls in the pecking order,

I gather he stays at home more than his brother? Is this right TC?

Stringer
Shroder
Sheringham
of those three S's Stringer has the most form at AFL level although it was some time ago. On Burbs , Im a little bit of a lapsed believer , his failure this year early has spooked me a bit. Yes he has talent , does he have the mindset?

Is he quick enough do you think think to go for a run frequently?

True but he Mackie to roam about.

Apart from the obvious link , do you think its normal now to be trying to word up players this far out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back