Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

Same hey JB...
His quality is at another level to even the best (if that makes sense)

I remember hearing that Rick 'Superfreak' James hated Prince, was peeved that the Minneapolis Marvel stole his schtick as the 'bringer of funk' to white folk.

But Prince was indeed on another level, more closer to James Brown.

I remember hearing that Rick 'Superfreak' James hated Prince, was peeved that the Minneapolis Marvel stole his schtick as the 'bringer of funk' to white folk.

Its late, I know, had to get report out, but as per... I listen to music instead.

This song for you JB, i reckons you know it/ and or would like it... prince still shines against some pretty impressive co-members

Won't be many people's cup of tea but poignant lyrics nonetheless.

America is completely ****ed in many aspects.

Little known fact..... rick james and Neil Young were in the same band in the 60’s.

Little known fact..... rick james and Neil Young were in the same band in the 60’s.

I certainly didn't know that.

I'm finding it hard to picture it, but the 60s were a 'rich' time in musical history.

I certainly didn't know that.

I'm finding it hard to picture it, but the 60s were a 'rich' time in musical history.
Story gets better. Their manager stole their advance....and after getting sacked by the band out of revenge he got Rick James deported from Canada for being an illegal alien .

The band then broke up.....james went to New York....Young and another band member went to LA and not long after formed Buffalo Springfield

Last edited:
Story gets better. Their manager stole their advance....and after getting sacked by the band out of revenge he got Rick James deported from Canada for being an illegal alien .

Reckon it did Rick a favour. I have no evidence for this, but I just can't imagine him becoming a superfreak in Canada.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ABC had a love songs section yesterday afternoon and they played this oldie. First released by The Clovers yet the version by The Searchers was more popular. The Clovers version reached No.23 on the charts, then The Searchers version reached number three on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and number two on Cash Box during the winter of 1965.

After listening to it laughed at the words, not sure that I really paid much attention at the time.

I took my troubles down to Madame Ruth
You know that gypsy with the gold-capped tooth
She's got a pad down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
Selling little bottles of love potion number nine
I told her that I was a flop with chics
I've been this way since 1956
She looked at my palm and she made a magic sign
She said, "What you need is love potion number nine"
She bent down and turned around and gave me a wink
She said, "I'm gonna make it up right here in the sink"
It smelled like turpentine, it looked like Indian ink
I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a drink
I didn't know if it was day or night
I started kissing everything in sight
But when I kissed a cop down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
He broke my little bottle of love potion number nine
I held my nose, I closed my eyes, I took a drink
I didn't know if it was day or night
I started kissing everything in sight
But when I kissed a cop down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
He broke my little bottle of love potion number nine.

After listening to it laughed at the words, not sure that I really paid much attention at the time.

I try not to listen to the words of some old songs - that I once enjoyed - because of the content. Mr Park and I once made a point of identifying the worst of them, which were often big hits. Even Tom Jones singing ‘Delilah’ at the Grand Final a few years ago, raised some eyebrows. It’s about a guy killing his ex-girlfriend because she ‘deceived’ him.😳

Some Rolling Stones’ songs have ordinary lyrics too. Mick Jagger admitted as much in a recent interview.

I think it’s called ‘cancel culture’, and I don’t want to go there.

Me and my lovely lady Daicos Torpedo have always loved Joni Mitchell. It was 1 of the things that we bonded over.
The new footage of Joni this week is so beautiful.
Her voice is now octaves lower but mostly her timing is still free and so interpreting.
Brain anurism, a life time of cigarettes...
Life
Incredible legend

Me and my lovely lady Daicos Torpedo have always loved Joni Mitchell. It was 1 of the things that we bonded over.
The new footage of Joni this week is so beautiful.
Her voice is now octaves lower but mostly her timing is still free and so interpreting.
Brain anurism, a life time of cigarettes...
Life
Incredible legend

Love Joni. Amazing songwriter too. One of the best of the 20th century.

Was thinking of going to this concert, but I have Covid and Mr Park is still trying to dodge it, so crowded concerts are not quite our thing ATM. But I’d love to see this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back