Injury Rhys Stanley - news post-foot surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone else called it earlier. ;)

I noticed. It's a sad green day when contributors here demand named sources for opinions, then pour scorn on those that were eventually proved right.
Kudos where kudos is due. Unlike others, you were correct.
Unfortunately for Rhys.

Are there any rules regarding padding inside boots and length of studs? Maybe we can create a ruckman from Sam Blease by filling his socks until he's 200cm+.

Someone else called it earlier. ;)
tumblr_mei017xLGW1rmwepjo1_400.png

There you go catempire ,I've given him his prize ;)

Is Mark Blake healthy?

I remember reading in the last week or so that he had signed to play for a lower level club but couldn't remember more details - a quick search found he has signed to play for Clifton Hill, but not sure how healthy he is:

Aberfeldie would also like to take the opportunity to thank Mark Blake for his great service to the club in 2014-15. Unfortunately, a few niggling injuries will mean it is unlikely Mark will play in 2015. He has however, chosen to keep his playing options open by moving to a club closer to home. We are fully supportive of this and hope that he gets back for a few games at the end of the year.

not sure what the niggling injuries are.

I'm unsure on other rucks we could go after.

Surely there's someone just looking for a chance.
If dee's moved Jamar on he would be handly for a year .
One year- we need to do better than that, but one year at this stage of proceedings would seem like an eternity.

I remember reading in the last week or so that he had signed to play for a lower level club but couldn't remember more details - a quick search found he has signed to play for Clifton Hill, but not sure how healthy he is:

not sure what the niggling injuries are.
I would GUESS, having a keen interest in his output, that all the travelling he did from ? Geelong every week would take its toll. Back?
Who knows?
But he certainly has been durable up til now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the good news is we are distraught Stanley is injured, he could have been a flop on the field and we could be suffering buyers remorse and wishing he was in VFL. He really does look like a great talent, I don't think his injury problems are chronic.
Chronic, by definition = longer than 3 months.
Let's watch this space.

By now I just shake my head and laugh at our injury list. The last couple years have been astounding, really. So many talented youngsters cut down (possibly to never play again) and this year we seem to lose a player every game.

This is a horrid blow for Rhys who was starting to show really promising signs in tandem with Blicavs. Foot injuries always worry me, so hopefully he doesn't have any further complications with this. Last thing we need is ANOTHER talented youngster flaming out.

As for our ruck situation, it's simple. Simpson and McIntosh should and likely will be delisted at year's end. We absolutely need to fill one of those spots with a durable, decent ruckman. Those aren't easy to find and can come at a premium price but, as has been mentioned upthread, it's been four years. We absolutely need a ruckman we can rely on to get on the bloody park. Clark, Vardy, McIntosh and Vardy won't be it. Stanley may but we need insurance and it needs to come in the form of someone who can actually play - not another Orren Stephenson type.

It's almost at the point where we may need to seriously look at trading someone we'd rather not lose if it results in us bringing in a good, fit ruckman. Our midfield is young and not terribly strong - they have no chance if we keep sending them into a losing ruck/roving battle. Furthermore, it's bloody unfair on Walker (and counterproductive to his development) to keep playing him in a position he's not suited for. The guy shows some promise as a forward - playing him as ruck will serve as much purpose as it did when we did the same to Hawkins.

As for the rest of the year, what do we do? Maybe it's time to go with Bomber Thompson's suggestion from the game a few weeks back and throw Lonergan in the ruck! o_O
No to Lonners- he'd be the last player I'd ask to play ruck. If rather use Linc McCarthy- if his foot would hold up, that is. ;)

This is what makes me really mad about losing our Sausage King. Imagine if we'd had him rucking in 2013/14.

Chronic, by definition = longer than 3 months.
Let's watch this space.

Really? I didn't know that. I thought it meant repeat injury of the same issue- :( I think I've been using it wrong. Does it apply to, say, lots of short-lived but different injuries? ie if they add up to over 3 months. (Or does it have to be a continuous length of time?)

The problem with that is we could very well be in the same situation again next year. Vardy still has a massive cloud over him so if he's still on the list next year and there's only the new ruckman to carry us the whole season it will just take him to be injured and we will be back to Walker and Blicavs.
Shall we just take 6 of them, then? Do you think that's enough?

The AFL will be onto us for stockpiling ruckmen and they'll make up a draft rule to prevent it.

Two actually. 18 and 19 games in 2013-14 respectively.

He missed the end of 2013 due to injury and battled all off season.
We got him at end of 2014.
That's 1 year.
18 and 19 is completely misleading. Struggled in 18/19 games in 2014 aswell. Maybe not just from being played in the wrong spot but because of an injury interrupted pre season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back