Podcast Ricks Soapbox - BF Port PC Ep. 2.31

Remove this Banner Ad

Re the slipperiness of the game, when we walked across the oval at the end of the game when kick and catch was going on, the grass was wet like a sprinkler had been on it 20 minutes earlier. It reminded me of what the ground is like up at the Gabba after a night game in August..

Where I was staying at Willoughby it rained over night and upto about 9-30. I got to the REH and pre match function which is a 20 minute walk from the SCG and there was no rain and during the game there was beautiful sun shine for most of the arvo.

Disappointing Macca19 you should've gone harder.

FishingRick04 - your call of making off the wall calls for trading, where you referred to Cornes and Burgoyne. I would've thought your more recent offseason call to trade Aaron Young last year might've come more readily to mind...I'm still curious why you were willing to bandy his name around but not the Pittster.

`Pittard won't learn anything in the SANFL' - you know what? At least 60% of our players in the SANFL right now won't learn anything in the SANFL, including Kane Mitchell if we drop him. They are there because we can play someone who isn't ******* up.

`We are still in development mode', wherein you list a bunch of OK 22s - why are the older ones on your list still in development mode when players drafted in this decade are in better form.

If every player is given an extended `development mode' before we consider delisting, we are ****ed, because lists are small and need to be turned over.

I don't buy this Jasper wont learn anything and wont develop if we drop him back to the SANFL line. Look at the coach he was dropped learned plenty and changed how his coach coached him.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-coaching-career/story-e6frecjc-1226491991270
MALCOLM Blight is the first to admit Ken Hinkley changed his coaching career.

While at the helm of Geelong in 1990, Blight realised Hinkley - then a battling half-forward flanker - was in need of a role change.

The Cats coach shifted Hinkley to half-back in the reserves, prompting the former Fitzroy player to thrive in defence for the rest of his 132-game playing career.

"He was really struggling a bit - he just couldn't get his head around it all,'' Blight recalled.

"I could see something in him but I just couldn't get it out of him.

"Anyhow, that day (in the reserves) he had 30 touches at half-time, he had the ball on a string. He nearly had 50 touches for the game and read the play really well.

"By the Monday night after the game I said: 'What did you learn?' And he said: 'I learned I don't want to play seconds anymore'.

"That resonated with me, that if you're not trying to coach the player....you're getting caught up with other things.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-coaching-career/story-e6frecjc-1226491991270

Jasper has the best gig in the world. Guaranteed learn on the job spot for life while similarly talented players languish in the twos. Poor call that he shouldn't or can't be dropped. Yes, he will develop faster in the AFL, but he's not the only player who requires or deserves development.

I can see him sticking in the team for now though, very lucky that Colquhoun and Heath are injured. No one is quite banging the door down.

Final point - he is a whipping boy, yes. If 'The Grill' is to be believed, he is also Ken Hinkley's whipping boy. So, if you think Pittard is beyond reproach, you hate Our Ken, freedom and liberty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like you Rick and enjoy every podcast but you are acting like a massive hypocrite. You want to drop Mitchell for one incident where he bumped when he should have tackled.

How can Mitchell learn to tackle in a low tempo, low pressure game if he is sent back to the SANFL against smaller body opponents and we are leading by 8 goals?

We don't want to delist Pittard Rick. We want to drop him for a game or two.

We don't hate Jasper. We just have an opinion about the way he plays sometimes.

Do you hate Mitchell? Do you hate O'Shea because it's clear you don't want to give him a go?

"If it's this time next year and he's just as bad... maybe we can trade him off." What the hell!! The time is now Rick. We might have a shot at the top two and Premiership!

*I think Mitchell should be dropped too.

I'm glad you like me Jack. You miss my point on Mitchell. I'm angry and want him dropped because he squibbed a contest. Jasper doesn't squib. If Ken thinks it's OSheas turn I'll accept it

Many of your Jasper haters want him dropped for a long time and have ruled a line through Jim.

Sent from my SM-N9007 using Tapatalk

Pittard is always going to be that sort of player where you have to take the good with the bad. Peter Burgoyne was the same and 200+ games didn't change that. I think Pittard will be a better player once the back line as a whole gains more experience and composure.

I'm glad you like me Jack. You miss my point on Mitchell. I'm angry and want him dropped because he squibbed a contest. Jasper doesn't squib. If Ken thinks it's OSheas turn I'll accept it

Many of your Jasper haters want him dropped for a long time and have ruled a line through Jim.

I thought that was your point Rick but I don't think he squibbed. It was weak and a very bad choice but Jasper's non tackle on Goodes in the second term wasn't far behind. For a guy of his size I think Mitchell is reasonably hard at it. Remember his hit on Dangerfield last year and collision with the hawks player just outside the goal square?

It's not a massive kick in the balls to be sent back to the maggies. Just ask Stewart, Butcher, O'Shea and Newton. Not to mention Logan.

We (90% of us) don't hate. We just believe in rewarding others and putting the best team on the park now, not in 8-10 games when Jasper plays his 50th.

Shades of grey mate. Good show anyway! :)

Last edited:
I cringe at Pittard's mistakes as much as the next supporter does, but let's be real clear that Pittard is no Chaplin. I think he is defending much better now than a year ago, he never squibs and he does provide important run. What I can't argue right now is that he is worthy of a spot over O'Shea, who remains the more versatile defender and the more durable runner.

O'Shea had 13 disposals, lost multiple one-on-one contests, and only had two real positive memorable moments for the Magpies on the weekend. This week would have been the perfect opportunity for him to have a big game and stake a claim to an AFL spot. He didn't take it. Despite his mistakes, Pittard showed more positive signs against the AFL premiership favourites than O'Shea showed against Woodville-West Torrens.

I was talking to big Al last night. If we talk of replacements at the moment. Stevenson not the same. HEATH INJURED burn Jones and Amon not ready IMO. Logan not as fast and disposal issues like Jasper. Ah Chee no. Newton is a midfielder. Moore injured but not the HBF we need. OShea isn't knocking the door down anyway. Please Stewart maybe a possibility.

Pittard is easily replaceable. Our best back 6 is

Jonas..Carlile..Hombsch
Impey..Trengove...Broadbent

Unless we are playing sides with 3 quick forwards Impey does the job on the small quick. Pittard should be wing or sub. He has plenty of competition for those spots.

Logan, Newton, P Stewart can all slot into Pittard's HBF and we still have plenty of run out of there.

I was talking to big Al last night. If we talk of replacements at the moment. Stevenson not the same. HEATH INJURED burn Jones and Amon not ready IMO. Logan not as fast and disposal issues like Jasper. Ah Chee no. Newton is a midfielder. Moore injured but not the HBF we need. OShea isn't knocking the door down anyway. Please Stewart maybe a possibility.

O Shizzle is doing enough to replace our resident turn over merchant in my opinion.

But what are they all learning in the SANFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back