snitzel

Cancelled
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GWS
From the AFL site:

RICHMOND forward Jack Riewoldt has announced a self-imposed media ban, just days after being dropped from the club's leadership group.

Riewoldt, 25, missed out on a spot in the Tigers' reduced five-man group of senior players.

He broke the news on what will be his final appearance on Gold FM radio.

"I won't be doing any media at all, I'm sacking The Footy Show, I'm not doing Gold," Riewoldt declared.

"This is off my own bat.

"I thought about it at the end of the season, and the club's going in a pretty strong direction and starting to come into some pretty big years."

Riewoldt said he was struggling with the way he was being depicted in the media.

"If I can't be portrayed the way I want to be portrayed then I'll give it a bit of a miss."

Riewoldt said he "found it hard" that the focus was on his omission from the leadership group and not the elevation of teammate Troy Chaplin.

"He didn't get the recognition he deserved from the media and from the outside world, so that was the thing that sort of cut me a little bit deep," he said.

"We've got five very, very capable blokes there and they are going to lead this club to some really big success this year."

Good on him, I am not impressed with the media in Australia in general. I don't mind the footy show but every week it is the same jokes with a bunch of blokes that think they are all extra funny, also every player guest is expected to act like a lad or Jonathon Brown to get asked back again.

I'm sure that certain elements of the media will use this as a example of Jack Riewoldt being a sook, only confirming he has made the correct decision.
The way he gets treated in the media can hardly blame him for not bothering with it anymore.

I'm sure that certain elements of the media will use this as a example of Jack Riewoldt being a sook, only confirming he has made the correct decision.
The way he gets treated in the media can hardly blame him for not bothering with it anymore.

There's a reason why he's portrayed that way though, obviously he can't handle that and if avoiding media altogether is what he feels he needs to do then good on him.

Sounds like another Jack Riewoldt dummy spit. It's funny, he's made this decision to take away the media attention, and by doing so has given him media attention and scrutiny.
Well I guess he will not be available to make any further comments on the matter.

Congrats to Jack. Definate signs of maturity and buying into the "team ethic" and not just the old "Jack ethic".

After having watched Fev closely, and despaired, i thought Jack was approaching his levels of unawareness of Team buy in.

But this is a great sign that the work RFC have put into him will pay big dividends.

Well done Jack. Well done RFC.....

...so far

"If I can't be portrayed the way I want to be portrayed then I'll give it a bit of a miss."

But what does he mean by this? Was he trying a different persona?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardly suprising to see so many poor comments, but I am not sure what more he could have done last year to prove he is all about the team, selfless on the field, adapted his game style with perfection, always spoke about the team first when interviewed, the list goes on.

He is passionate no doubt and wears his heart on his sleeve, but dont confuse that with being selfish or a sook.

Wants to be portrayed as something he is not, rather than what he is, a sook.

So he's drawing a line and setting about portraying a new person/teammate.

Good on him.

Positive sign that he is reaching a maturity most thought he didn't have.

Early days...but a positive sign.

Hardly suprising to see so many poor comments, but I am not sure what more he could have done last year to prove he is all about the team, selfless on the field, adapted his game style with perfection, always spoke about the team first when interviewed, the list goes on.

He is passionate no doubt and wears his heart on his sleeve, but dont confuse that with being selfish or a sook.

He definately has been selfish, a sook and all "look at me, not them" in the past.

RFC were going nowhere Top 4 wise if it continued.

Dropping out of the media is no small step for Jack imo. Good on him.

Time will tell....but it looks like the hard work and input by people inside RFC have cracked the coconut.

So there will be no more American Pie movies????

clotw-riewoldt.jpg

LOL @ Riewolt.

Is on the RADIO saying how he will give the media a miss.........:confused:

Try hard Kimi Raikkonen

Good move by Jack, he's somewhat immature compared to other players you'd consider leaders. He's been portrayed as the childish, petulant individual rather than team player (which is partly due to his own actions as well as the media's response to him).

Not sure exactly what went into the decision, whether the coaches pulled him aside, or whether this was part of the feedback he received for being bumped out of the leadership group. Whatever the reason, it was definitely the right decision, the media are a pack of wolves, self-serving scum. He really needs to focus on his footy rather than his media career at this point. Good signs for Riewoldt & the Tigers, if they're headed in the right direction they'll need him to come along.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back