RIP Phil Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Kids are incredibly smart. WINGARDium/Alberton Proud Jnr is 10; I work in mental health and unfortunately, because of what I have to see and deal with, he understands way more than I'd ever wish a 10 year old to know.

Kids hear things, see things and formulate their own perception of what's happened. We are open and honest with him (minus sensationalistic beat-up) - I'd rather he knew the truth through his parents than hear speculation and inaccuracies through other sources.

And kids who love their footy want to feel part of this footy family too.
kids arent stupid, they know, they might not fully understand, but they know. we make mistakes as adults trying to shield kids or protect them but the reality is they pick up exactly what is going on. we did as kids, they do as kids. to think last week every wowser idiot was like 'oh how do i explain sam mitchells actions to my kids' really, how pathetic, do they really think kids arent doing or saying worse things....
its tough for kids, its tough for all of us, but shielding thm from the harsh reality of what happens in situations like this isnt the right thing to do.

It's one thing for an individual member of a team to play in that situation. He has the rest of his team mates to rally around him and give him support if they can see him struggling. This is an entire team/club that are feeling shattered. Try and imagine our boys coming out and playing a game just a few days after they lost JMac. There is no way on God's earth they could have done that. They had the whole of pre-season to come to terms with it and still struggled.
Some could , some couldn't

No , but i'll bet they were the catalyst.

No, I don't think they would have been.

Problem drug use is most often a symptom of an underlying psychological condition, one that is either genetically inherent or a lingering effect from an earlier physical or emotional trauma. All things being equal, the drugs themselves do not turn people into Mr Hyde, as much as the media would like you to think so.

The vast majority of people who take drugs do not even end up as junkies, let alone killing people in a psychotic rage.

No, I don't think they would have been.

Problem drug use is most often a symptom of an underlying psychological condition, one that is either genetically inherent or a lingering effect from an earlier physical or emotional trauma. All things being equal, the drugs themselves do not turn people into Mr Hyde, as much as the media would like you to think so.

The vast majority of people who take drugs do not even end up as junkies, let alone killing people in a psychotic rage.
You are probably correct , I would go even further , anybody that takes this sort of illegal rubbish needs seen to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy rivalries aside, these sad tragedies remind us all what's important and put things into perspective.
It would be good to see both clubs do something special at the showdown for Phil and would be good to see as many Crows fans turn up as possible as well.
In fact I'd like to see the club take all public tickets and make them available for Crows members only.

And it's great to see our club offering support and help for your club, especially the players.
As much nasty s**t as I post about the Crows on here, I truly hope the players pull through this and recover.

Like so many have said already, these sad tragedies remind us all how precious life is and how minor footy is in the grand scheme of things.
That's the key right there. We all love our footy team, and get pretty emotional, whether they're winning or losing. But at the end of the day, it's only a game of football. Life is precious, and a very precious life ended far too soon yesterday, in the most horrible of circumstances.

The football community will eventually start to get over this - life must go on. But it's going to take some time.

Thank you for the kindness from you lot :)

Hopefully both teams can show some tributes in our next showdown to honour this great man

As I said to another Crows supporter coming on here thanking us, it's the least we can do because you guys were exactly the same towards us after the John McCarthy tragedy in 2012 :)

I am still not able to really make any sense of what happened. My wife asked me if I could imagine my (18 month) old son killing me. Just heartbreaking.

To be honest I didn't know much about Walsh's personality until he left for the Crows. He was always the 'tactical genius' of our midfield - touted as a huge loss when he left for West Coast, and similarly as a huge get for 2014. It's impossible to argue his influence when you look at our results last year. It's impossible to argue when you hear club champions saying he was a fantastic coach and a great mentor. Then you see things like Kane's last text exchange, Dom's clear respect and anguish, Tredders struggling to find words on the news and you understand what a teacher of men he was.

Sure, I laughed at his awkward promo video when he first arrived at the AFC. I laughed at the nipple tweaking. I laughed at his borderline 'mad professor' style. Over the past 24 hours I watched more interviews of him then I ever had before and began to see about what made him tick. Hearing about the incident in Peru. Taking himself overseas to improve his management skills. His attempts to reconnect with his children (so eerie now). The inspiration gained from the frustration in great art. We truly have lost one of the games great -and unique- minds. As footy fans we are all that much worse off for it.

The rivalry with Adelaide will be different from now. More grown up. More respectful. After 25 years at war SA footy will be changed for the foreseeable future.

Phil Walsh was murdered.

It didn't make sense then, it doesn't make sense now, and if I live for a thousand years (to paraphrase Letterman) will that ever make any sense? Will that make any god damn sense?

Im happy that you didnt have to explain the tragedy. ROO was on AFL360 tonight in an interview explaining that he had to tell his kids.

Yes you are 100% correct, how the hell do you explain this to kids that are too young to comprehend drugs/mental health issues (if that was the case), explaining death is bloody hard enough.
Speaking of Roo, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Mark apparently found out about the tragedy at about 5am yesterday, but had to keep it to himself until later in the morning - while still continuing with his breakfast show on MMM. How the hell would you be able to keep something like that quiet? If he'd taken yesterday off, I'm sure everybody would have understood!!!

Some could , some couldn't
OK - here's a hypothetical for you. Just suppose for a moment that 11 of the 22 Crows named on Thursday night had decided they were up to playing, but the rest of the squad had found it too hard to take the field? What then: would they have taken on the Cats with just 11 players? Stupid suggestion I know: the club made the right call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back