RIP Phil Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

That's ridiculous, you can't expect players who have just been hit with the most shocking news imaginable about their coach - who would have been a father figure to them - to front up for a game of bloody football three days later. And you haven't paid attention to what Phil Walsh was about if you think he would expect otherwise.

Walsh revealed the following after the Brent Reilly accident at training

Something that surprised me, but shouldnt have is that apparently Walsh spent night and day at Reilly's bedside during the initial stages, this was revealed on AFL360.

Went down to Football Park today and put some flowers with a crows and port flag on each side. It was truly amazing to see what all the team supporters had left, including various interstate teams. I spoke with a few crows fans, some were very distraught. It was so sad and heartbreaking to see, but they were so sweet and it really showed how much they loved and appreciated Phil Walsh. I'm glad to see that he was admired so much by the Adelaide Football Club. He should have been there for many more years. He was a great assistant coach for the PAFC, and even better as a senior coach for the Adelaide Crows.

I haven't read through the whole thread, so I'm not sure if this has already been suggested.... but I think it is time to bring back the NTUA photo montage and include a couple of photos of Phil amongst the collection!!!

His respects are being paid at amateur footy level too. The team I play for and our opponent's wore black armbands and reserved a minute silence before the game today. Both sides played it as fairly and respectfully as I can remember. No off-the-ball hits or whinging to the umps, everyone had a reflective mindset before the bounce and played like they respected the game. Unites people in unexpected ways.

10984131_10153507980629703_5726374725806709206_n.jpg

RIP Walshy
#weflyasone
#nevertearusapart

Every time I see a photo of him smiling,makes it even sadder.

Still can't believe it.

Devastating:(

sad but hope the son also gets the help he needs also to his wife and daughter sorry n i hope you can move on in life
crows i hope tgey can pull through it being there foe a shorr tine he left a kegacy he spent half of his footy life with us and left a dynasty god speed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing all this coverage on the news makes it almost impossible to keep a straight face. It's going to be an emotional few weeks for both both Port and Crows. Will fight to keep the tears back Thursday night, but come the showdown I'll be a mess. Strange to think someones passing who I have never met has had such a huge effect on me.

Me and my father aren't greatly connected, but our relationship isn't by any means bad. I still made sure to hug him when I saw him, and it was somewhat comforting. I'm heartbroken for the Walsh family to have their family broken in such a short space of time. I'll never take the family I have with me today for granted again, because it only takes a snap of the fingers and they could be gone. So much has been put into perspective for me over the last 2 days.

I still don't think it's entirely hit me yet :( John McCarthy's death hit me straight away because he played for us, Phil Hughes's death did too because you knew how severe his injury was and some may have seen it coming, but Walsh's hasn't hit me fully because I just don't understand how such a thing could happen :( murdered by his own son! Waking up to the news wasn't very pleasant either :(

Just saw some of the interviews with Fagan - think the Crows have scored a good one there.
Class, shown in the time of adversity, anyone can be a star in good times, but it times like these you learn about true leadership. Don't get me wrong, I still think they're campaigners, but respect...

I still don't think it's entirely hit me yet :( John McCarthy's death hit me straight away because he played for us, Phil Hughes's death did too because you knew how severe his injury was and some may have seen it coming, but Walsh's hasn't hit me fully because I just don't understand how such a thing could happen :( murdered by his own son! Waking up to the news wasn't very pleasant either :(
The brutality is impossible to comprehend.

That poor family

His respects are being paid at amateur footy level too. The team I play for and our opponent's wore black armbands and reserved a minute silence before the game today. Both sides played it as fairly and respectfully as I can remember. No off-the-ball hits or whinging to the umps, everyone had a reflective mindset before the bounce and played like they respected the game. Unites people in unexpected ways.

Yes many are paying respects. I was at the penrith south sydney rugby game last night and they had a minute silence. Also at my sons game (modbury hawks under 6's) they wore black arm bands.

This has truly devasted the whole football community.

Then explained that we wouldn't be going to the game on Sunday as the players are 'a bit sad'.... Sheesh. Too much. That poor, poor bloke. Still can't fathom his last aware moments knowing he was about to die at the hands of his own son.

It's heart breaking. Still tears flowing.

Just wanted to pop in and say that the class and compassion the Port Adelaide family has shown to our club today has been humbling. Much respect to you all.

RIP Walshy.

Mate, Walshy spent 11 years with our club. We are all feeling it here too.

I've been bawling my eyes out the last two days.

Hard enough to stay composed at work yesterday after hearing the tragic news. Lost it this morning when I saw the picture of Crows and Power gear side by side outside AFC headquarters. Dithering mess after the news above that there'll be a joint march and banner for Showdown. So much respect from both clubs and all footy fans. So proud. Zakk, I am more than happy to order your mate a replacement scarf. PM me if he'd like one.

RIP Phil

#weflyasone
#weareportadelaide

This photo sums up Walshy's first 10 years at Port. Even in the full glory of a flag the official club photo doesnt show him 100% in the clear view like the other coaches. Classic backroom boy.

385567-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

This photo sums up Walshy's first 10 years at Port. Even in the full glory of a flag the official club photo doesnt show him 100% in the clear view like the other coaches. Classic backroom boy.

385567-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

Wow. Isn't it funny how things work out in footy. Pittman, Bailey and Walsh all ended up having important roles with both our clubs. That's a great pic.

Wow. Isn't it funny how things work out in footy. Pittman, Bailey and Walsh all ended up having important roles with both our clubs. That's a great pic.

I imagine Walshy and Bailey would be sharing a pint or two as we speak at the bar where every hour is happy hour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back