Autopsy Roast & toast vs Brisbane and changes for Sydney, round 17, Thurs July 6, MCG, 7.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Mini already, playing players in their proper positions and finally debuting the youngsters. Make him the senior coach.
whats going on mini

meanwhile pies get a dry game again

theyve played in 1 rainy game this year, against us
Pies tend to struggle a bit in the wet. Hope it p....... down on GF day.
Raining Weather Report GIF

Was rapidly losing interest after last Thursday's smackdown but now with 2 new boy's debuting and the return of #4 will certainly be tuning in on Thursday - we owe Swans big time after the AFL sanctioned robbery last year at the SCG and then the Ambush in Adelaide during this years reach-around....

Who can we smother papshmear with?

a space guarder no doubt,and we've recruited plenty of those lately,the RFC game plan allows pimpley at least 6 goes at it a match minimum
only playing RFC are these opportunities available where upon not a glove is placed upon u thruout a game
OIP.CdWRdfjs0L3KGTZioh5sewHaEK

So you don't think senior players should be dropped for poor form if they've played in a premiership?

No I think they should be dropped … and I’ve actually been advocating for Pickett and Macca to be dropped at various stages this season. I just don’t like Dimma’s loyalty being spoken about as a negative trait when it was an overwhelming positive during his tenure.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I just don’t like Dimma’s loyalty being spoken about as a negative trait when it was an overwhelming positive during his tenure.
Yeah that's fair enough. Although it did end up being a negative over the last 3 years once he couldn't bring himself to drop any premiership players for poor form.

The omissions this week will be very interesting.

Forwards are not to blame, we are a broken team, once prestia is out we struggle, we need serious ball users to start winning.

Every team has lost coming off the bye. We were without Prestia, Dusty, Lynch and Short from halfway through second. Multiple players were probably fighting flu. Lions have won 44 of 48 at the Gabba in H&A and are the games biggest flat trackers by a mile … they sniffed an easy kill and duly delivered.

Our form line prior to the Lions game:

Eagles : Win
Cats: Win
Bombers : 1-point loss (should’ve won)
Port: 10-point loss (could’ve won if umpires gave us a fair go)
Giants away : Win
Freo away: Win
Saints : Win

So 5 x wins and 2 x close losses …. Then the Lions abomination. So not sure we’d think the one shocker is the norm and not the other 7 x matches?

No need to panic … let’s see what the next 3 x rounds bring before calling for heads and the blowing up of the joint.

Yeah that's fair enough. Although it did end up being a negative over the last 3 years once he couldn't bring himself to drop any premiership players for poor form.

The omissions this week will be very interesting.
You do realise it’s a match committee and not just dimma. The same Match committee that is still there not dropping senior players. Changes are being made through necessity. The “senior” players you speak of form past month to 6 weeks has been solid

You do realise it’s a match committee and not just dimma. The same Match committee that is still there not dropping senior players. Changes are being made through necessity. The “senior” players you speak of form past month to 6 weeks has been solid
Oh I know it's the match committee because nothing's changed. Yet.

And the senior players I'm referring too (Graham, McIntosh and Pickett in particular) have been average at best for the entire season. Changes have only been made when senior players get injured. Otherwise they'd never be out of the side, regardless of form.

Oh I know it's the match committee because nothing's changed. Yet.

And the senior players I'm referring too (Graham, McIntosh and Pickett in particular) have been average at best for the entire season. Changes have only been made when senior players get injured. Otherwise they'd never be out of the side, regardless of form.
McIntosh and Grahams past few weeks have been solid. They like many others had a down game last week but the month before that were rather good and contributed to wins. Not sure what else they can do

McIntosh and Grahams past few weeks have been solid. They like many others had a down game last week but the month before that were rather good and contributed to wins. Not sure what else they can do
That's the problem. Solid is now the best they've got. And they've been worse than that a lot this year. And rather than Graham or Pickett getting dropped, they get played out of position and a young bloke gets it in the neck instead.

So you would rather simply drop the same young guys again and again? Poor form from a young player gets them dropped but not from a underperforming senior player?

That's the problem. Solid is now the best they've got. And they've been worse than that a lot this year. And rather than Graham or Pickett getting dropped, they get played out of position and a young bloke gets it in the neck instead.

So you would rather simply drop the same young guys again and again? Poor form from a young player gets them dropped but not from an underperforming senior player?
Not at all. No one is immune from the axe if forms not up to scratch. But the replacement needs to be ready to roll as well. We were winning games with solid contributions from our role players. They’re not 20-30 possession types but play their role that’s all we ask.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every team has lost coming off the bye. We were without Prestia, Dusty, Lynch and Short from halfway through second. Multiple players were probably fighting flu. Lions have won 44 of 48 at the Gabba in H&A and are the games biggest flat trackers by a mile … they sniffed an easy kill and duly delivered.

Our form line prior to the Lions game:

Eagles : Win
Cats: Win
Bombers : 1-point loss (should’ve won)
Port: 10-point loss (could’ve won if umpires gave us a fair go)
Giants away : Win
Freo away: Win
Saints : Win

So 5 x wins and 2 x close losses …. Then the Lions abomination. So not sure we’d think the one shocker is the norm and not the other 7 x matches?

No need to panic … let’s see what the next 3 x rounds bring before calling for heads and the blowing up of the joint.

I’ll give you that, just that l don’t see it.

They’re not 20-30 possession types but play their role that’s all we ask.
Yeah, but what is their role? They don't seem to be stopping their opponents from getting the ball and don't really hurt teams that much.

They get leeway no doubt but that’s life as well as footy. Proven performers usually get a bit more rope. Part of footy forever and a day.
It's just a shame if it costs development for some of the young guys. Plus it's not going to help us make the finals.

Neither is playing an unproven tbh. Much chance of a senior player playing himself into form the a younger player stringing enough games together to make a difference.
It's getting the balance though isn't it. Getting in the right amount of young players to go along with the senior guys who are still performing and also choosing the right ones to come in (younger guys) and right ones to go out (older guys).

Knowing our luck we'll get the combination right just in time to miss the 8 by percentage to another side who had a draw.

I don't think they will drop Graham. Bigger body tackling machine especially in the rain will be sought after.
So long as the tackling machine can manage more than one tackle.

Yes we can all lose perspective over one game . But I agree we are probably making excuses- because the body of work so far this year plus the two years before might be a better reflection of where we are at.

I thought we’d be more competitive against the Lions of course. But with Prestia out and the Dusty out with flu, I was genuinely worried about our overall attitude to this game before the ball was bounced. Then seeing the listless performance without any fight at all was completely foreign to this team. Then hearing lots of players were sick it made a lot more sense.

The flat trackers at the GABBA are the last team you want to cop if you’re mentally and physically not up to your best, as they feast on teams up there. Let’s not forget they beat the Pies up there by 33 points. And were spanking the Demons before the lights went out as well.

In terms of the season nobody expected us to beat the Lions at the GABBA. But win 6 of our last 8 and 12.5 wins probably sneaks you in given how close it is from 4th to 15th. 13.5 wins will definitely get you in.

The fact we have Demons, Dogs, Saints and Sydney on run home means loads of 8-point games to keep ourselves alive.

And I don’t care what anyone says about ‘what’s the point of making finals’ or ‘we’d have got flogged anyway’ etc…. making finals is something to be excited about, win/lose or draw. Only loser clubs say there was no point making finals and finishing 7th or 8th.

Finishing 8th and losing an EF is a million times better than missing finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back