Robbo's Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as Hawks go, I can't complain much! Though, I still think Burgoyne is criminally underrated! Gibson ahead of Taylor is a bit of a stretch too. Taylor is easily the best defender in the league.

Like most people, would have Ablett above Buddy. Buddy a clear number 2 though.

Biggest 'What the ...' is Hawkins at 9! In no way is he top 10!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/robbos-top-50

So obviously trying to generate some discussion by having Buddy at number 1.

Other discussion points:
- Hawkins at 9 (don't mind this personally)
- Gibson>Taylor
- Judd is still in it and at 31 and ahead of Murphy and Gibbs who are clearly now better and more important than him for Carlton. For me that its laughable. It shows just how great he was that he still gets mentioned in stuff like this, his aura just hasn't worn off.
- Sandliands>Mumford>Jacobs>Goldy (seriously disagree on that)
- Bulldogs only club not represented
- 3 from GWS
- None of the following which you could make a case for: Deledio, Wells, Zorko, Hanley, Haneberry, Hartlett, Libatore, J Reiwoldt, Rance, West Coast Kennedy...
- Wider public will be confused by Ben Cunnington on there (but they'll learn), not sure whether he's ahead of Libatore though.

Overall not too bad from Robbo, beats Sheehan who last year didn't have Rockliff in his top 50...
I actually think the rucks are in exact order that way

If this list was a who's going to be the best players of the year, like what Mike used to do, then why are players like Judd on the list and why is Hodgey at 10 and Gibson top 20 also? Not enough up and coming youngsters here, I would have players like Jeremy Cameron, Dion Prestia etc in the 40s

Hodge at 10 is a bit too high.
Robbo mentioned the Hawthorn best and fairest in his comments on Birchall
Perhaps he noticed that Hodge was pretty much equal 2nd with Birchall and Roughead

Hawthorn 2014 MVP (B&F votes div by games played)
7.7 Lewis, 24 games, 185 votes
7.2 Hodge, 22, 159
7.0 Roughead, 23, 161
6.7 Gibson, 17, 114
6.7 Rioli, 12, 80
6.5 Birchall, 25, 163
6.3 Mitchell, 15, 95
6.2 Stratton, 15, 93
6.2 Smith, 24, 148
6.0 Gunston, 23, 137
5.8 Burgoyne, 25, 146
5.8 Breust, 25, 145

Or maybe he looked at the votes from the past 2 Hawthorn B&Fs where Hodge ranks 2nd. Either way, this would also explain his high rating of Josh Gibson. Everyone seems to think he is also overrated, but the Hawk coaches obviously rate the pair very highly.

2013/14 Back-to-Back B&F
328 Roughead, 48 games
305 Hodge, 45
292 Gibson, 41
283 Lewis, 48
283 Birchall, 42
273 Burgoyne, 48
261 Breust, 50
257 Smith, 48
253 Gunston, 46
252 Mitchell, 39

With a tiger bias I'd argue for Deledio and maybe Rance to get a mention. Like many though, Robbo doesn't rate the tiges

I'm a Sloane fan but he should be a lot further down the list.

Sloane under appreciated for mine. Hard running. Inside/outside mix. Not dissimilar to Selwood pre-captaincy levels.

Sloane under appreciated for mine. Hard running. Inside/outside mix. Not dissimilar to Selwood pre-captaincy levels.

There is no way Sloane is under-appreciated in the Supercoach era... to me he's a Brad Sewell type. Fantastic player, does some wonderful things, skills aren't amazing though - his effort and two way running (and tackling) are what make him the player he is. In the 35 - 40 range.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this list was a who's going to be the best players of the year, like what Mike used to do, then why are players like Judd on the list and why is Hodgey at 10 and Gibson top 20 also? Not enough up and coming youngsters here, I would have players like Jeremy Cameron, Dion Prestia etc in the 40s

Doubt too much serious thought or analysis goes into this. Robbo strikes me as someone who composes these sorts of lists by going with gut more often than not.

I don't think you watched many Essendon games last season.

I'd have Heppell above Watson.
Heppell is a massive hybrid type midfielder, he wins a lot of contested ball but knows how to spread effectively and get plenty of loose ball, but he's not a run and carry type like Sloane/Griffen etc.

Agree, if he is not suspended having him at 13 is a joke. Jobe should be top 5 ahead of players like Dangerfield, Gray, Hodge, Roughead etc.. Wins more games off his own boot than any other player besides Ablett on the list. Jobe has held up a fairly ordinary Essendon side for the past 4 years and made them into a side that has the made the finals the last 3 years.

No way he wins more games off his own booth than Frankln, Selwood or Pendlebury, and that's just off the top of my head.

About 10/11 I'd have him.

Not better than anyone in Roobo's list that's above him except for Dangerfield and Hawkins, and probably on par with Boak.

No way he wins more games off his own booth than Frankln, Selwood or Pendlebury, and that's just off the top of my head.

About 10/11 I'd have him.

Not better than anyone in Roobo's list that's above him except for Dangerfield and Hawkins, and probably on par with Boak.
Your entitled to your opinion, I just disagree.

Regarding the Fremantle players selected: I would personally choose Walters ahead of either Mundy or Sandilands. There are very few players in the whole AFL more talented and assuming he gets a relatively clear run at it this year he will easily eclipse a lot of the players on that list. His key strength is definitely his field kicking and vision. One of the few modern day players who can use his non-dominant foot in an attacking way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back