Ross Lyon is synonymous with Ugly football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favourite part was how excited he was in the interview after the geelong game about Crowley tagging selwood rather than giving a toss about losing by 60 points
Crowley did pants Joel Ill give him that but as a result Bundy had 36 disposals (18 contested) and 8 clearances in PB game. So putting it all into shutting down Joel actually meant our other midfielder's dominated instead. Joel is tagged every week so we don't always rely on him to be our match winner. We do have more than good midfielder playing for us.

Until Rossy wins a flag with his mega-boring style of play, I'll continue to underrate him. If, the day comes that he actually coaches a flag team, I'll mourn the fact that his crappy game style won a flag.

Would much rather the Cats win another flag with their game plan (which actually has excitement attached to it), than Lyon with his. It's sad that his press conferences are more exciting than the games his teams play. And having listened to him speak, that's saying something.

A Docker-loving mate of mine put it nicely when he said that he loves the fact that Lyon is his team's coach, but he hates that the good results come so ugly.

Don't just apologise to your mates (I am sure the decent ones are embarrassed). Surely the rest of the BF world is owed an apology for you carrying on like an arrogant, pompous twat? Wonder what you do in real life that causes you to need to live so vicariously through your team?

Welcome to BF, a footy forum. I'll return to life and be a better person when I log off and you can keep drawing a long bow.
I think Ross and the FFC owe you an apology saying "sorry to our fans that we can't play a more respectable brand of footy whilst attempting to win a flag"

Wasn't it Ross that suggested we should play two halves and eliminate the 4 quarters?

His focus is to win games of footy, I can't fault him there. I wouldn't exactly appoint him to a committee to look after the game of AFL though, he doesn't appear to be a purist.

His work ethic can't be questioned, one of the better coaches when to comes to preparing his players for their role and immediate contest.

To argue the thread title is futile, and in defence of Freo supporters, when it's your team you have to strap yourself in for the ride.

People are forgetting the funny thing about Ross Lyon is that other coaches and football critics,experts rate him as one of the top coaches in the AFL so why do so many followers of the game hate his style of footy.He doesn't give a rats arse what you or I think he is employed to try and win games.I for one use to hate some of his tactics but at the end of the day when your club song is played you don't give a s**t how they won :thumbsu:

People are forgetting the funny thing about Ross Lyon is that other coaches and football critics,experts rate him as one of the top coaches in the AFL so why do so many followers of the game hate his style of footy.He doesn't give a rats arse what you or I think he is employed to try and win games.I for one use to hate some of his tactics but at the end of the day when your club song is played you don't give a s**t how they won :thumbsu:
I know one thing he gives a rats' arse about and that's having his photograph taken. What was with that?

You're right of course, but we watch footy (especially neutral games) for its aesthetic appeal. Ross murders it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are also forgetting that the Ross Lyon is yet to sing the club song after the one game in the year that really counts and that's Grand Final day! He should give a rats arse about that after 7 seasons!

Until Rossy wins a flag with his mega-boring style of play, I'll continue to underrate him. If, the day comes that he actually coaches a flag team, I'll mourn the fact that his crappy game style won a flag.

Would much rather the Cats win another flag with their game plan (which actually has excitement attached to it), than Lyon with his. It's sad that his press conferences are more exciting than the games his teams play. And having listened to him speak, that's saying something.

A Docker-loving mate of mine put it nicely when he said that he loves the fact that Lyon is his team's coach, but he hates that the good results come so ugly.

Well thats your opinion. Im inspired by his tactics. You do know he was an assistant coach under Paul Roos coached swans in 2005.

I have said this to a North fan on another thread and I will say it to you. You get 2 options...

1. Play attractive high scoring football and Finish between 11th and 14th.

2. Play boring football and finish between 5th and 8th.

So if you want to your mob to take option one, that is fine by me. As a matter of fact do choose that option and stay down that position of that ladder.

One last thing If ever that day does happen when Freo do win the grand final, I expect a Tidal wave of angry Dockers fans on your teams board.

His plan was always to get in mature bodies and recycled players, that had nothing to do with being under resourced.

Because Lyon never whinged about it like Watters does ad nauseum, people forget how awful St Kilda's recruitment has been since the 2003 draft. The plans that dictated were a function of the club being under-resourced.

IMO his ultimate plan was to get out of there when the flow on effect loomed on the horizon.

This is a fantasy. In early 2011 Lyon beseeched St Kilda to ditch the get-out clauses and tie him to the club for the next 3 years to see out the rebuild.

Defensive Footy is the basics every team needs to have to fall back onto when they're under pressure. You cannot win a premiership without it, so I see no problem with Lyon implementing the basics of that at Fremantle or any young side for that matter. Given - he doesn't add too many attacking elements, but to restrict the opposition like he does is also an underrated skill.
The alternative is say the development a la Melbourne who were given skill sets they weren't ready for, and without any of the defensive skills they regularly get blown away. It's why when people always use to ask how I could bear to watch Sydney 'flood.' It's that, or lose games.

Ah, the Ross Lyon gameplan - good enough to keep you in the game, not good enough to have you win it.

Good teams can score more than 68 points on GF day.
Your right, s**t coach, not up to AFL standard

Ah, the Ross Lyon gameplan - good enough to keep you in the game, not good enough to have you win it.

Good teams can score more than 68 points on GF day.

Ok champ. How many goals did your team score in the 2009 grand final? 12. 12 goals and 8 behinds to be exact, which is 80 points. A real high score. Lions beat Collingwood 75-66 in 2002. Collingwood kicked 13 goals to win in 1990. West Coast kicked 12 goals in 2006 to win by a point.

Yeah a real high score those winning teams that scored. If your mob wins another grand final 78-60, are you going to complain?

You're right of course, but we watch footy (especially neutral games) for its aesthetic appeal. Ross murders it.
Spot on Bear but like I said he is there to win games and like I said he is classified as a top coach I don't know how other coaches and critics do their ratings but that's the general opinion on him by the so called experts and I don't think he has lost crowds over his game plan?imo

Welcome to BF, a footy forum. I'll return to life and be a better person when I log off and you can keep drawing a long bow.
I think Ross and the FFC owe you an apology saying "sorry to our fans that we can't play a more respectable brand of footy whilst attempting to win a flag"

Considering your a geelong Fan do you want to know why your mob lost 3 finals to West Coast from 1991-1994?

When I say that I refer to the 1991 Prelim and the 1992 and 1994 grand finals? Come on buddy I would love to explain to you and these loyal and humble "Geelong fans" how your side lost those 3 games considering your mob has a fetish for attacking football.

Because Lyon never whinged about it like Watters does ad nauseum, people forget how awful St Kilda's recruitment has been since the 2003 draft. That had everything to do with being under-resourced

This is a fantasy. In early 2011 Lyon beseeched St Kilda to ditch the get-out clauses and tie him to the club for the next 3 years to see out the rebuild.

He whinged about it the other night?

"slatted windows, no heating or cooling, under resourced" even though the club had relocated to a new facility prior to his leaving.

You can spin it all you like, but just off the top of my head. Talking Gehrig out of retirement, Lovett, Gardiner, King, Dawson, Dempster, Schneider, Gamble, Smith, Peake, Polo, Pattison, Jones...delisting and re-recruitment of Eddy.

That has nothing to with resourcing, and was a deliberate strategy to get in mature bodies. A strategy that our board had bought into, so I can't fault him in that aspect.

When he used the words 'career coach' to justify his Freo appointment, you cannot possibly mount any argument that he wasn't well aware what would happen to his win/loss if he stayed at the Saints.

Had he been in a good financial position, not talking to other clubs during his tenure, and had he not had had 12 months to go on his contract (keeping in mind he activated a get out clause) I may of believed you.

Well thats your opinion. Im inspired by his tactics. You do know he was an assistant coach under Paul Roos coached swans in 2005.
I pointed that out in the OP. Who on BF rejoiced in 2007 when an all-out attacking Geelong team put an end to the dour, ugly "flood at all cost" style played by the Swans?

At least the Swans 2013 play an exciting brand of football.

My question was whether Lyons has any other tricks, and the resounding response he he has no plan B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back