List Mgmt. Round 1, 2015 Full strength team

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our backline will be helped by our midfield a little more this year. And mcstay looks a natural lead up forward.

McStay showed great signs as a forward, why waste time in developing him as a backman when we have Dizzy and Clarke coming through?

Smart by Leppa.

McStay showed great signs as a forward, why waste time in developing him as a backman when we have Dizzy and Clarke coming through?

Smart by Leppa.
But he wont beat players like harry taylor and the likes so theres no point playin him forward according to a few people on here.

But he wont beat players like harry taylor and the likes so theres no point playin him forward according to a few people on here.

That wasn't the point that was trying to be made and you know it.

Smart by Leppa.

I agree...in 3-5 seasons time Im confident mcStay will be a very very good AFl forward. I cant say the same about about guys like freeman, and Close...Need to get Games into as a forward

Leppa must be pretty confident in our backmen if he considers McStay won't get a look in down back. Wonder if he still thinks that given that was apparently his view last year. If so, not sure I share his confidence.
The issue is scoring. Playing McStay down back won't really make a difference when we still have to hit the scoreboard. Playing him up forward could potentially be just what we need to win more games.

The issue is scoring. Playing McStay down back won't really make a difference when we still have to hit the scoreboard. Playing him up forward could potentially be just what we need to win more games.
Scoring is obviously one half of the equation; stopping your opponents scoring is the other. We haven't done either particularly well of late. I tend to agree that McStay is looking more like a forward or perhaps a swingman at this stage of his career, but that's not to say he may not become a defender. My concern is more about the depth of our other key defenders and whether he can add to that when needed. We are one of the worst ranked teams in terms of scores against as a percentage of entries to our defensive 50. Basically they get in and more often than not they score. Would be nice to turn that around as well as scoring more ourselves.

Would Harris Andrews be preferred to McStay as a genuine key back?

Scoring is obviously one half of the equation; stopping your opponents scoring is the other. We haven't done either particularly well of late. I tend to agree that McStay is looking more like a forward or perhaps a swingman at this stage of his career, but that's not to say he may not become a defender. My concern is more about the depth of our other key defenders and whether he can add to that when needed. We are one of the worst ranked teams in terms of scores against as a percentage of entries to our defensive 50. Basically they get in and more often than not they score. Would be nice to turn that around as well as scoring more ourselves.
McStay did some good things as a defender, but he also made a lot of bad mistakes that resulted in goals last year (just to put things in perspective).

Our depth in key defenders is great this year. But after this year it will probably be quite poor.

From the Lions website about McStay...

"He's a good decision-maker with the ball in his hand. He's not a penetrating kick but he has that good lateral decision-making kick which opens up the other side of the ground for offence. He'll start as a defender, but in the medium to long-term, I reckon he'll be able to play forward a majority of the time." – Eastern Ranges Regional Manager, Anthony Parkin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mcstay's greatest asset is his marking ability and considering our potential with the midfield this season I think it would be smart playing McStay as third tall, throwing himself at a contest and grabbing maybe 1/2 goals a game. Massive ceiling on this kid, rate him very highly

Our depth in key defenders is great this year. But after this year it will probably be quite poor.
The lions recruited Andrews, Watts, McGuiness and Beasley this year all potential key defenders. Merrett will go another couple of years he has just turned 30 which will give these guys time to develop.

With Clarke holding down a key post now and Gardiner ready soon (next year or two) to hold a key post, along with Paps, Cutler, Lester, McGuane as third talls. Not looking too bad for mine.

From the Lions website about McStay...

"He's a good decision-maker with the ball in his hand. He's not a penetrating kick but he has that good lateral decision-making kick which opens up the other side of the ground for offence. He'll start as a defender, but in the medium to long-term, I reckon he'll be able to play forward a majority of the time." – Eastern Ranges Regional Manager, Anthony Parkin

re bolded ... guessing he wasn't slotting them from outside the 50 when he was with the Eastern Rangers?

The lions recruited Andrews, Watts, McGuiness and Beasley this year all potential key defenders. Merrett will go another couple of years he has just turned 30 which will give these guys time to develop.

With Clarke holding down a key post now and Gardiner ready soon (next year or two) to hold a key post, along with Paps, Cutler, Lester, McGuane as third talls. Not looking too bad for mine.

I think the future bodes well for our defense but I think that our defense depth could be tested next year if we have any significant injuries. With Patfull and Goose (probably) gone if Merrett or Clarke goes down one of the young guys will have a taunting task ahead of them.

Wouldn't be surprised if they have Andrews more in mind as a forward, kicked a lot of goals in one season if I recall correctly.

I think the future bodes well for our defense but I think that our defense depth could be tested next year if we have any significant injuries. With Patfull and Goose (probably) gone if Merrett or Clarke goes down one of the young guys will have a taunting task ahead of them.
But most teams would struggle if their top two tall defenders went down. I think Leppa has really gone for the build from the back theory.

But most teams would struggle if their top two tall defenders went down. I think Leppa has really gone for the build from the back theory.

No argument there, but I think just one of them going down will place a lot of pressure on a youngster who may not quite be ready.

No argument there, but I think just one of them going down will place a lot of pressure on a youngster who may not quite be ready.
I dunno. I'd be somewhat surprised if all 3 of Staker, McGuane and Maguire retired. All 3 have defensive experience. I reckon at least 1 will be kept on the list, fitness permitting. There's also the option of throwing Close (will be a 4th year player) or McStay (3rd year) into defence. I also think Gardiner's ability to play as a genuine tall gets overlooked.

I also think opportunity is sometimes all a kid needs. Clarke is a case in point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back