List Mgmt. Round 1, 2015 Full strength team

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno. I'd be somewhat surprised if all 3 of Staker, McGuane and Maguire retired. All 3 have defensive experience. I reckon at least 1 will be kept on the list, fitness permitting. There's also the option of throwing Close (will be a 4th year player) or McStay (3rd year) into defence. I also think Gardiner's ability to play as a genuine tall gets overlooked.

I also think opportunity is sometimes all a kid needs. Clarke is a case in point.

Yeah, I guess although not outside the realms of possibility; I wouldn't be shocked if 2 of Staker, McGaune and Goose either retired or were politely ushered off in favour of youth. After that it does seem like most of that mature depth is coming straight from our forward line which is already an area which is filled with uncertainty for us. If we do need to plug holes in defense our forward line may end up looking even weaker.

B: Adcock Merrett Gardiner
HB: C Beams Clarke Rich
C: Aish Rockliff Bewick
HF: Mayes Close Christensen
FF: Green Martin McStay
Ruck: Leuenberger Zorko D. Beams
Bench: Lester, Taylor, Redden, Paparone
Emg: McGrath, Cutler, Staker

After last night it's a bit tough filling the last few spots.

Hopefully Gardiner pulls up alright.

Nah, I think itll be:
FB: Beams, Merrett, Gardiner
HB: Rich, Clarke, Paparone
C: Aish, Redden, Mayes
HF: Robinson, Close, Zorko
FF: Green, McStay, Taylor
Foll: Leuenberger, Rockliff, Beams
Int: Christensen, Adcock, Martin
Sub: Lester

I dont think we can lock in Lester, Mayes or Robinson just yet...The likes of Dawson and McGrath might get first crack at some of their spots, with Paps getting Patfulls role...

I don't see the comparison between Paps and Patfull. One is a brilliant shut down defender and the other is very poor defensively.

I don't see the comparison between Paps and Patfull. One is a brilliant shut down defender and the other is very poor defensively.
The role Patfull played last year was not necessarily a shutdown defender. He was often used as a spare, using his quality ground coverage to get to contests that we might otherwise have lost.

The role Patfull played last year was not necessarily a shutdown defender. He was often used as a spare, using his quality ground coverage to get to contests that we might otherwise have lost.
Still, Patfull is the complete defensive player, whereas Paperone's only (very) strong defensive attribute is his defensive running.

I don't recall him ever being used as a spare defender.

Still, Patfull is the complete defensive player, whereas Paperone's only (very) strong defensive attribute is his defensive running.
No doubt. But there's a difference between replacing Patfull the player as opposed to filling the role that Patfull played.

You could argue then that no player on our list can play that role. But Paps can intercept at least somewhat as well as Patfull could, at the very least better than Lester has so far.

You could argue then that no player on our list can play that role. But Paps can intercept at least somewhat as well as Patfull could, at the very least better than Lester has so far.

Gardiner can, Lester to a lesser extent. I haven't actually seen Paparone take an intercept mark this preseason though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we you consider a role in a team defence, it becomes less about being able to beat a direct opponent. Paps brings a lot to the side in that regard because he's often like having a couple of blokes running around, simply through his coverage. I just don't know if he brings much else. I think he has it in him to get a fair bit more footy.

Gardiner can, Lester to a lesser extent. I haven't actually seen Paparone take an intercept mark this preseason though.

I suggested Dizzy a few games ago and got shot down for it...

At the end of the day we wont be able to replace Patfull with a 100% like for like player. We do the best we can with what we have.

I have. He took one against Sydney that I specifically recall.

Ah ok, problem solved then.

I don't think we can carry Rich, Beams and Paparone who are average defenders in our back 6. We won't always be able to get Merrett free like we have in the past couple of matches.

Ah ok, problem solved then.

I don't think we can carry Rich, Beams and Paparone who are average defenders in our back 6. We won't always be able to get Merrett free like we have in the past couple of matches.
I have the same concern. I still don't know who we turn to when we go up against a Ballantyne type.

I have the same concern. I still don't know who we turn to when we go up against a Ballantyne type.
When the going gets tough down back Adcock can swing down there to provide some experience. As you said though, we do not have a small defender who can stop the likes of Ballantyne which is a concern. Even Harwood is not really suited to taking on those types.

It should be Bewick imo, even though it would be good to have him further up the field. I think CBeams will improve defensively too. It's definitely a concern though.

Little bit annoyed not to see Cutler have a go properly. Very good kick down back, havent been able to see how he goes defensively tho.

I'd love to see him to but players like Cutler won't be getting games unless there is significant injuries. Leppa said he doesn't want to play the inexperienced players in the same way that he had to last year.

I'd love to see him to but players like Cutler won't be getting games unless there is significant injuries. Leppa said he doesn't want to play the inexperienced players in the same way that he had to last year.
I would have to think that he would be better than Lester atm. Paps might beat him for ground coverage but Cutler beats him by a mile in disposal. He also provides good run from HB.

I just dont rate Lester as a 3rd tall and was very surprised to hear Leppa say he would get first crack at it, it should have been the best person in the pre-season should get first crack at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back