VFL Round 1 - North Ballarat vs Collingwood at Eureka Stadium

Thanks to LondonPie (great shots!), Matty123 and TD for the updates - and our Kangaroo friend as well.

Sounds like lots of encouraging stuff. Need these young blokes to keep learning their roles and doing well and putting pressure onto the incumbents in the firsts.

London Pie def BOG. Match report from Siberia with news that our future is bright with a picture of a rainbow to symbolise it. Nicely done. I wonder if playing the Roosters in the Rat is a bit like playing Willy at Willy. In the end the home ground advantage just clicks in as the locals remain unaffected while the visitors experience third degree hypothermia.

Trust me... Us locals don't enjoy it either!

Just got back after the long drive to and back from North Ballarat.

Really disappointing end to the game, didn't score hardly for the last 45 minutes after levelling the scores.

Short review of each player;

1; Alex Fasolo; Played really well, mainly as a small forward, could have kicked 4 goals, kicked 2 and tried hard all day. I'd consider him a chance for Anzac Day. Just happy that he really committed himself after being dropped
15; Jarrod Witts; Rucked the majority of the game but looked buggered in the final quarter. One nice pass to Cox inside 50 was the best thing he did around the ground all day, but he did play well.
17; Jono Marsh; He has so much talent, then makes school boy errors, gave away 3 goals today through mistakes, one was a shocking free kick that shouldn't have been paid though. Has such a big future.
20; Ben Reid; Along with Marsh kept us in the game for so long, his booming left foot has been missed so much at senior level. Once again taken off halfway through the last quarter, was that in preperation for AD or just where he's at?
21; Nathan Freeman; Didn't have a good first half but along with De Goey had a very good second half. He can break tackles and win his own ball, but his strength is getting out in space.
27; Armstrong; Servicable, did ok with his kicking but lacks that hardness for someone playing down back.
30; Darcy Moore; Played on Durdin and Preuss today, and did fairly well from a defensive stand point. Didn't attack off half back as much as last week but along with Marsh and Reid kept us in it.
35; Jordan De Goey; Still has a way to go but wow he will be something special. Him and Freeman both are so hard at it, and have bodies that are just ready to take on this game. Played better in the 2nd and third terms then his start, but he's coming along nicely.
37; Bayden Maynard; I like the kid, his booming kick is a bonus, and he's hard at when he needs to be. Needs to get involved more.
38; Matthew Goodyear; DIdn't do a lot but what he does is exciting. Burst out of half back once there, ran off the NB players the missed the kick, would have been nice.
39; Michael Manteit; A little like Goodyear, didn't do a heap but what he does has some class about it.
41; Brendon Abbott; same as the previous 3, doesn't do enough yet to warrant a senior game but there's signs that he will make it.
46; Mason Cox; Gets lost at time but can take a big mark when needed. Kicked a nice goal after a Witts pass, taking a big stretching mark. Work in progress.

Of the VFL listed players Callopy, Moloney, Borthwick and Still stood out, that forward line and midfield really struggled, especially late on though.

Thanks Matty and London Pie for your reviews. Just had a quick look and to you and all those that get these reviews in well done.

Wouldnt worry about Reid as suspect he is in the mix this week and they want him fresh if they take him in. Personally I think they will wait another week but the matchup for Brown isnt great this week. Daniher to quick for him and Carlisle to strong and mobile for Brown.

What was the work of DeGoey and Freeman like at the stoppages?

I gather Witts didnt do a great deal up forward. I think its difficult to play 2 ruckss when neither are productive as a resting forward. I am struggling to see how Witts gets back in.

What sort of role did Abbott play. Saw a lot of him in the WAFL and he was a Medhurst type that would lead up at the ball pretty aggresively and have the wheels to turn and crumb but he wanted to lead at the ball more than get front and centre as his first go.

I think one of the bigger themes I am looking at getting a clearer line of sight on is what are they going to do with all these key defenders. Moore is clearly going well and pushing for selection and they will want to get him in at some stage if this form keeps up, Reid is a must and you could even suggest that Marsh might be worthy of a game at some stage. His finish last year was v good and his development trajectory is v good. So how does the club fir those 2 (possibly 3) along with Brown and Frost into the same side. Surely one or two have to be groomed as forwards. Will be interested in your observations as to who (if any) start getting game time there as frankly think we will soon be in a position where we have 4-5 elite AFL standard defenders and a spot for 2 and at best maybe 3.[/USER]

It'll be really interesting to see how Maynard, Manteit, Goodyear & Abbott develop over the year(s), if we can get at least 2 of these to come through and become players, then this'll be a massive bonus for us... how about a poll on which of the 4 will make it?

For me from what little I've seen, I'd say Maynard & Abbott.

Thanks Matty and London Pie for your reviews. Just had a quick look and to you and all those that get these reviews in well done.

Wouldnt worry about Reid as suspect he is in the mix this week and they want him fresh if they take him in. Personally I think they will wait another week but the matchup for Brown isnt great this week. Daniher to quick for him and Carlisle to strong and mobile for Brown.

I gather Witts didnt do a great deal up forward. I think its difficult to play 2 ruckss when neither are productive as a resting forward. I am struggling to see how Witts gets back in.

What sort of role did Abbott play. Saw a lot of him in the WAFL and he was a Medhurst type that would lead up at the ball pretty aggresively and have the wheels to turn and crumb but he wanted to lead at the ball more than get front and centre as his first go.

I think one of the bigger themes I am looking at getting a clearer line of sight on is what are they going to do with all these key defenders. Moore is clearly going well and pushing for selection and they will want to get him in at some stage if this form keeps up, Reid is a must and you could even suggest that Marsh might be worthy of a game at some stage. His finish last year was v good and his development trajectory is v good. So how does the club fir those 2 (possibly 3) along with Brown and Frost into the same side. Surely one or two have to be groomed as forwards. Will be interested in your observations as to who (if any) start getting game time there as frankly think we will soon be in a position where we have 4-5 elite AFL standard defenders and a spot for 2 and at best maybe 3.[/USER]

DeGoey and Freeman were fairly handy, the wet seemed to impact Freemans game a bit more than DeGoey however. Seemed to slow him down a bit and his disposal wasn't particularly effective.

Witts didn't do much forward as there were fairly limited opportunities, but did take a couple of good grabs around the ground. Mason Cox looks like he could become a decent tap ruckman, showing some good signs for someone who has barely played any footy. Around the ground stuff will take a while though.

Abbott looked to be playing off a forward flank, did a few good things. At one stage busted his way through a couple of tackles on the wing but ran himself into no mans land. He is pretty hard at the ball, and well built for a young kid.

Marsh did look very good, made a few errors though and I think his disposal let him down a bit yesterday. His closing speed is elite though, could be a chance to play forward or on a wing. I wonder what Brown would go like down forward these days, disposal and mobility may not be quite there for him to be effective.

It'll be really interesting to see how Maynard, Manteit, Goodyear & Abbott develop over the year(s), if we can get at least 2 of these to come through and become players, then this'll be a massive bonus for us... how about a poll on which of the 4 will make it?

For me from what little I've seen, I'd say Maynard & Abbott.
From what I've seen and heard so far, and putting aside where they went in the draft because doesn't matter anymore, its Goodyear 1st and Abbott 2nd (just over Maynard).

What about my Review Snoop Dog? Was that Helpful?

So Snoop Dog you would Keep Witts in the VFL Until Grundy is Injured or Needs a Rest?

Abbott kind of play as Small/Medium Forward.

De Goey seems to get a Few Taps from Witts and he would just burst thru a few tackles to get Free. Freeman also got some but he just burst into space

What about my Review Snoop Dog? Was that Helpful?

So Snoop Dog you would Keep Witts in the VFL Until Grundy is Injured or Needs a Rest?

Abbott kind of play as Small/Medium Forward.

De Goey seems to get a Few Taps from Witts and he would just burst thru a few tackles to get Free. Freeman also got some but he just burst into space

Yes TD as were the others and as I said 'thank you to all that do them' (ie that includes you). It was just that the first couple I read were those.

Not sure what I would do with Witts. I dont think you can drop Brody unless the think he needs a rest but he gets 8 days so unlikely. I'm not sure what I would do for Anzac Day actually.

Truth be told I would be inclined to bring in Ben Reid and play him forward but doesnt make a lot of sense givne they didnt even give him a quarter there on the weekend so would be highly unlikely and he cant swing into the ruck either which I think they would prefer. Also want a lot of pace in the side I would think.

Hey I was at the game today and you all probably know this but Darcy Moore is going to be a player and not too far away too. How come he is playing in the backline?

It's part of his development - learn how back men play so he can be a more effective forward.

"Know your enemy, know yourself and you can fight 100 battles without disaster" Sun Tzu

I guess the question is, will witts do a better job then Gault up forward. because I think that we looked better balanced with a genuine 3rd tall up forward then sending Goldsack down back. even if they don't hit the scoreboard I just believe that we looked better balanced. and with the 2nd ruck gault Grundy looked to run out the game better .

Should we have lost this one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always a possible outcome. Watched the praccie match against them the weekend before and in perfect conditions we ran them off their legs. Wet windy horrible conditions a week later and their bigger bodies come to the fore.

I just heard on SEN that there was some talk earlier on Bartlett's show about a possible set back for Ben Reid. I'm going to assume from the lack of anyone reporting anything that it is speculation based upon him going off the ground after that knock?

I just heard on SEN that there was some talk earlier on Bartlett's show about a possible set back for Ben Reid. I'm going to assume from the lack of anyone reporting anything that it is speculation based upon him going off the ground after that knock?

Unfortunately Bucks said on AFL 360 tonight that Reid has got a nick on his quad and it's very minor. :rolleyes:

Doesn't think he'll play this week but may be available to train again this and keep building towards full fitness.

Mark it down that Reid is out for another 4 weeks, which in turn means we won't possibly see Reid in seniors until after Queen's birthday weekend. :mad:

Back