VFL Round 1 - North Ballarat vs Collingwood at Eureka Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got back after the long drive to and back from North Ballarat.

Really disappointing end to the game, didn't score hardly for the last 45 minutes after levelling the scores.

Short review of each player;

1; Alex Fasolo; Played really well, mainly as a small forward, could have kicked 4 goals, kicked 2 and tried hard all day. I'd consider him a chance for Anzac Day. Just happy that he really committed himself after being dropped
15; Jarrod Witts; Rucked the majority of the game but looked buggered in the final quarter. One nice pass to Cox inside 50 was the best thing he did around the ground all day, but he did play well.
17; Jono Marsh; He has so much talent, then makes school boy errors, gave away 3 goals today through mistakes, one was a shocking free kick that shouldn't have been paid though. Has such a big future.
20; Ben Reid; Along with Marsh kept us in the game for so long, his booming left foot has been missed so much at senior level. Once again taken off halfway through the last quarter, was that in preperation for AD or just where he's at?
21; Nathan Freeman; Didn't have a good first half but along with De Goey had a very good second half. He can break tackles and win his own ball, but his strength is getting out in space.
27; Armstrong; Servicable, did ok with his kicking but lacks that hardness for someone playing down back.
30; Darcy Moore; Played on Durdin and Preuss today, and did fairly well from a defensive stand point. Didn't attack off half back as much as last week but along with Marsh and Reid kept us in it.
35; Jordan De Goey; Still has a way to go but wow he will be something special. Him and Freeman both are so hard at it, and have bodies that are just ready to take on this game. Played better in the 2nd and third terms then his start, but he's coming along nicely.
37; Bayden Maynard; I like the kid, his booming kick is a bonus, and he's hard at when he needs to be. Needs to get involved more.
38; Matthew Goodyear; DIdn't do a lot but what he does is exciting. Burst out of half back once there, ran off the NB players the missed the kick, would have been nice.
39; Michael Manteit; A little like Goodyear, didn't do a heap but what he does has some class about it.
41; Brendon Abbott; same as the previous 3, doesn't do enough yet to warrant a senior game but there's signs that he will make it.
46; Mason Cox; Gets lost at time but can take a big mark when needed. Kicked a nice goal after a Witts pass, taking a big stretching mark. Work in progress.

Of the VFL listed players Callopy, Moloney, Borthwick and Still stood out, that forward line and midfield really struggled, especially late on though.
Great summary. Would love to see Maynard get a run through the middle every now and then - he's capable of performing that role as he did it in the nationals last year. Today would've been the perfect day to let him throw some weight around, win some inside ball and release our runners.
Also, Goodyear wouldn't have spent more than 10 minutes in the middle today. He was our best onballer last week and they played him mainly as a high half forward and wing. I have no issue with them teaching him to play in different positions, but he's predominantly an inside mid who should be getting more time in there than some of the young vfl listed mids IMO. This was a key area we were beaten in by NB today. Loved Reid and Marsh's game.
JDG was pretty good today (not best for us as the website suggests), but still good.

London Pie def BOG. Match report from Siberia with news that our future is bright with a picture of a rainbow to symbolise it. Nicely done. I wonder if playing the Roosters in the Rat is a bit like playing Willy at Willy. In the end the home ground advantage just clicks in as the locals remain unaffected while the visitors experience third degree hypothermia.

Should we have lost this one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's hard to judge if we should have won or not with the team we had.

If we had everyone on our list fit we probably would have had players like Keeffe, Thomas, Ramsay, Crisp, Karnezis, Gault and Oxley running around today and thus would have had a stronger team.

Our forward line looked really weak with Fasolo the only major target. Michael Still did ok but he's not going to rip a game like that apart in those conditions.

Plus as some have pointed out we experimented a fair bit with some of our on ballers, and got beaten in contests due to that at times.

Should we have won? I don't know.

Should we have got closer and actually kicked a goal in the last 45 minutes, HELL YES.

Great summary. Would love to see Maynard get a run through the middle every now and then - he's capable of performing that role as he did it in the nationals last year. Today would've been the perfect day to let him throw some weight around, win some inside ball and release our runners.
Also, Goodyear wouldn't have spent more than 10 minutes in the middle today. He was our best onballer last week and they played him mainly as a high half forward and wing. I have no issue with them teaching him to play in different positions, but he's predominantly an inside mid who should be getting more time in there than some of the young vfl listed mids IMO. This was a key area we were beaten in by NB today. Loved Reid and Marsh's game.
JDG was pretty good today (not best for us as the website suggests), but still good.

After watching Maynard today I don't think he is quite fit enough yet to play midfield. He does look promising though! I think NB had a few heavier built players, which seemed to be an advantage in the wet. I was keen to see Moore play, and thought he went ok in the conditions providing a bit of run at times. He was out positioned by Orren Stephenson a couple of times but he will learn from that. Agree with Reid and Marsh.

Moore is still a fair way off, just does little things like not keep his feet and bounces off opponents a bit

Still very Skinny is Moore.

I don’t think he is that Far Off at all. Could be a Good 3rd Tall/Loose Men in Defense

God we got Screwed by the Scumps Today.

Dissapointed Moore did not get Put Forward at Start of the last qtr to give us a Potential Match-Winner up there

After watching Maynard today I don't think he is quite fit enough yet to play midfield. He does look promising though! I think NB had a few heavier built players, which seemed to be an advantage in the wet. I was keen to see Moore play, and thought he went ok in the conditions providing a bit of run at times. He was out positioned by Orren Stephenson a couple of times but he will learn from that. Agree with Reid and Marsh.

Well Stephenson is Bigger and Lot more Experienced then Moore but yeah, He will learn from that today

Hey I was at the game today and you all probably know this but Darcy Moore is going to be a player and not too far away too. How come he is playing in the backline?

Hey I was at the game today and you all probably know this but Darcy Moore is going to be a player and not too far away too. How come he is playing in the backline?

No One Really Knows - Club has give no reason why

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you don't mind me posting on your board. It is a strange one though.

You are Welcome as long as you Behave yourself Chazdog92

I was hoping Moore would of gone Forward in the last Qtr to help us kick a Winning Score

You are Welcome as long as you Behave yourself Chazdog92

I was hoping Moore would of gone Forward in the last Qtr to help us kick a Winning Score
Haha I have learnt to tolerate Collingwood over the years. I'm surprised that move wasn't made. There were some iffy free kicks played today. As far as is know you guys don't have a glut of tall forwards. So it's baffling why Moore wouldn't be getting as much time up forward as possible. A potential swingman maybe?

My Thoughts on the Game:

• It was Bloody Freezing at the Game. Feet got Nub
  • Moore was Very Good in the 1st Half. Very Clean with the Ball. Tired Late but still kept on Trying
  • Best game I have seen of Maynard. Love the more Contested Style of Game on a Wet Day. Tackled Hard and Used the Ball well
  • Marsh was very good but still makes silly mistakes that cost us Goals. Still got some way to go but you can see his Potential
  • Cox goal kicking is Good but was a Liablity upfoward as he looked totally lost. Which is expected on who little he Played
  • De Goey was great and I love him Powering thru Tacklers and finding space from that to deliver the Ball Forward
  • Reid and Witts where very solid and did there job’s
  • Still did a good job up Forward
  • Fasolo was good up forward and you tell how he Pressured he got why he was Dropped.
  • The VFL listed players outside of Still where very poor

Haha I have learnt to tolerate Collingwood over the years. I'm surprised that move wasn't made. There were some iffy free kicks played today. As far as is know you guys don't have a glut of tall forwards. So it's baffling why Moore wouldn't be getting as much time up forward as possible. A potential swingman maybe?

Well the Club has said quite a Few Times that they love Moore’s Versatility and They see him something Simmlar to what Reid Is.

Yeah - Roosters got some Interesting/Dodgy Free Kicks.

What you liked about Moore?

Possibly because if Brown & Reid fall over as they are prone to do and with Keefe declaring himself unavailable due to stupidity we begin to look a bit short down back.

Possibly because if Brown & Reid fall over as they are prone to do and with Keefe declaring himself unavailable due to stupidity we begin to look a bit short down back.

But we had no AFL-Listed KPF’s in the VFL. Only have Gault to comeback to VFL Level.

So bit of Both Really

Remove this Banner Ad

Back