Prediction Round 1 vs GWS @ MCG 1:40pm, Saturday March 26th

Remove this Banner Ad

Right now?

B: Jetta Dunn Garland
HB: Salem TMac ???

Five of these write themselves. The sixth is up for grabs, Grimes has the front spot but any of Wagner (with promotion), Stretch, Bugg could end up here.

C: Vince Viney Tyson
R: Gawn Jones vandenBerg

Pretty much writes itself too. VDB a question mark but he's sure to be in the side.

HF: Watts Pedersen/Dawes/Frost ???
F: Garlett Hogan Kent

Petracca should be there but whether he'll make R1 is a questionmark. One of Dawes, Pedo or Frost will be there, who knows who. Could also pick a Harmes or a BenKen here.

Int: Brayshaw Bugg Stretch Frost/Pedersen

Right now I think Stretch offers more than Nibbler off the bench. Brayshaw is a lock, as is Bugg I would suggest. One of Frost/Pedo to be a swingman/2nd ruck.

The toughest spot to pick is the second tall forward at the moment.

I reckon Dawes will start and after 5 weeks we'll start searching between Frost, Pederson, King, Weideman and OMac.

Dee's by 15 points, but any win I'd be happy

B: Jetta T. Mac Garland
HB: Salem Dunn Bugg
C: Tyson Viney Brayshaw
HF: Watts Frost Kent
F: Garlet Hogan Vanders
Foll: Gawn Jones Vince
Int: Petracca Stretch Kennedy Harmes

Em: Oliver Pedo Grimes

I do believe Kennedy and Bugg will play round 1 Roosy will go for a team with a few games under their name, but I reckon Petracca to play if right to go.
I loved how Harmes finished off the season last year I hope he can continue to improve this year. Will not be happy if a couple on our list get a game before this lot because we all know they are not up to AFL level and sick of them trying to be!

Dee's by 15 points, but any win I'd be happy

B: Jetta T. Mac Garland
HB: Salem Dunn Bugg
C: Tyson Viney Brayshaw
HF: Watts Frost Kent
F: Garlet Hogan Vanders
Foll: Gawn Jones Vince
Int: Petracca Stretch Kennedy Harmes

Em: Oliver Pedo Grimes

I do believe Kennedy and Bugg will play round 1 Roosy will go for a team with a few games under their name, but I reckon Petracca to play if right to go.
I loved how Harmes finished off the season last year I hope he can continue to improve this year. Will not be happy if a couple on our list get a game before this lot because we all know they are not up to AFL level and sick of them trying to be!

I pretty much agree with this lineup.

We are light on for some genuine pace from the back half and through the middle though.

I pretty much agree with this lineup.

We are light on for some genuine pace from the back half and through the middle though.

To be fair, we're light on for genuine pace on the list as a whole. Good ball movement will go a long way to negating the lack of pace tho.

To be fair, we're light on for genuine pace on the list as a whole. Good ball movement will go a long way to negating the lack of pace tho.

If we hit targets our pace doesn't matter, you can still move the ball quickly with a slow team as long as they hit targets. Geelong in their prime 07-11 weren't a quick team over the ground but used the ball exceptionally well.

Who actually thinks Frost will be right for Round 1? I've heard nothing other than 'he's a few weeks away' for about 8 months now...
He's with the main group now, hasn't had an issue in months

Please whatever you do, don't get confident or dare i say over confident. Seriously i see some people on here seem to be chalking down rounds 1 and 2. Whenever this happens we loose, example us vs Carlton and Essendon last year

Please whatever you do, don't get confident or dare i say over confident. Seriously i see some people on here seem to be chalking down rounds 1 and 2. Whenever this happens we loose, example us vs Carlton and Essendon last year

Think most of the board are confident we can win round 1, but depends which GWS turn up. Round 2 we might as well fold if we can't win.

Think most of the board are confident we can win round 1, but depends which GWS turn up. Round 2 we might as well fold if we can't win.

And which Melbourne turn up haha.. The Dees that beat Geelong in Geelong without Hogan.... or the team that turned into a bunch or *ed turds vs Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Mumford/Gawn battle will be pretty key to whether we win or lose this match I reckon. GWS were looking like genuine contenders while he was healthy at the start of last year. I'm pretty bullish about Gawn becoming one of the dominant rucks of the comp by the end of the season, but it's a big ask first game in.

Also expect Viney to go toe-to-toe with Shiel which is gonna be great to watch. Both on the cusp of breaking out as genuine stars.

As for pace, would like to see Kent push into the midfield this season and leave the forward spot to a BenKen or Harmes, possibly moving Brayshaw behind the ball in rotations with Salem or Bugg who should both be getting midfield minutes. Watching that youtube clip of all of Hogan's goals, about half of them are set up by Kent until he was injured in round 4. I reckon it'll become a pretty common sight watching those two link up in the next couple of seasons.

The Mumford/Gawn battle will be pretty key to whether we win or lose this match I reckon. GWS were looking like genuine contenders while he was healthy at the start of last year. I'm pretty bullish about Gawn becoming one of the dominant rucks of the comp by the end of the season, but it's a big ask first game in.

Also expect Viney to go toe-to-toe with Shiel which is gonna be great to watch. Both on the cusp of breaking out as genuine stars.

As for pace, would like to see Kent push into the midfield this season and leave the forward spot to a BenKen or Harmes, possibly moving Brayshaw behind the ball in rotations with Salem or Bugg who should both be getting midfield minutes. Watching that youtube clip of all of Hogan's goals, about half of them are set up by Kent until he was injured in round 4. I reckon it'll become a pretty common sight watching those two link up in the next couple of seasons.

Kent could probably play in the middle eventually, but not this year IMO. Needs to put together a full season in the 1s first.

Kent could probably play in the middle eventually, but not this year IMO. Needs to put together a full season in the 1s first.

Agree.. plus I love watching him harass opposition defences :)

Dees by 72Pts rnd 1, and dees by 132Pts rnd 2.

Too optimistic? :D

aargh going camping at Easter, will miss round 1 crap s**t damn

on foxtel as well, not gonna get that on the camp kitchen telly...
Looks like you'll need to take a radio

Looks like you'll need to take a radio
Radio is frustrating. I like seeing the turnovers rather listening to the commentary on them. Also if I can see what's happening I can anticipate the turnover, and I'm more prepared for getting frustrated. The other thing that I dislike about the radio is how the ball can be deep in the forward line and a second later it's a goal to the opposition. ie Melbourne kick it long to the forward pocket to hogan, spoiled crumbed by zaharakis goal to essendon. So maybe get the afl live app but then again that tends to freeze so you end up breaking your phone.

Radio is frustrating. I like seeing the turnovers rather listening to the commentary on them. Also if I can see what's happening I can anticipate the turnover, and I'm more prepared for getting frustrated. The other thing that I dislike about the radio is how the ball can be deep in the forward line and a second later it's a goal to the opposition. ie Melbourne kick it long to the forward pocket to hogan, spoiled crumbed by zaharakis goal to essendon. So maybe get the afl live app but then again that tends to freeze so you end up breaking your phone.
i don't mind the radio every now and then although i'd prefer to watch it if i can. Theres some lines of commentary that just stick more on radio. As a kid i definitely hated it because i had no idea who the players where so it was just a name generator for me. But radio can be good, sometimes adds a bit of mystery as you can't see whats happening but you listen to whats being said or the sound of the crowd. The geelong game i knew we where doing well because of how quiet it was, the saints game the week before i had no idea the siren was coming or the saints would kick the goal and almost ended up breaking my hand in pure frustration. I also remember the 2013 dogs game when they bombed it inside fifty drew morphett screaming it's a jack watts mark and jumping up thinking surely we had it then. I think radio is meant to let you mind wander a bit where as TV you can see it and the commentators describe it as well (which is not always necessary), having acquired the replay to some games after listening live i've been disappointed imagining some plays as better from what i heard, so it's an art.

Listen i again lost the plot of what my point was, but i guess what i'm saying is radio isn't all bad. But it really is there as a last resort if you can't get to or watch the game, like stuck driving for example. But i must say i'm more at peace listening and watching, seeing a turn over coming is very frustrating but hearing it isn't so bad. Now i miss winter, for those days i can't get to the game and i just sit down with a hot drink and play a game with the footy on the radio, or finishing my shift at the restaurant i work at of a friday night and driving home pretty much on halftime, (if you're wondering how i listened to the dees tigers game we have delivery and one of the drivers likes footy so he kept me updated during the night) Sorry i again sort of rambled off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back