Round 1 vs Port Adelaide @Subi

Remove this Banner Ad

Fyfetheknife

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
So we are a lock to play port on Sunday twilight at Subi. What do you reckon? AFL obviously want a big crowd, and they'll get one, the revenge for the semi final. I know it's extremely early, but is it winnable? Port are a very strong team, but we are looking at *fingers crossed* a full strength squad minus probably Clarke.

So we are a lock to play port on Sunday twilight at Subi. What do you reckon? AFL obviously want a big crowd, and they'll get one, the revenge for the semi final. I know it's extremely early, but is it winnable? Port are a very strong team, but we are looking at *fingers crossed* a full strength squad minus probably Clarke.

3 of your last 4 games will be against us at Subi.

3 of your last 4 games will be against us at Subi.
What are you implying? That we've been favoured? It's actually 2/3 if you disclude the semi which we deserved as our home game. We'll likely play twice this year anyway.

What are you implying? That we've been favoured? It's actually 2/3 if you disclude the semi which we deserved as our home game. We'll likely play twice this year anyway.

Relax, not implying anything, just saying it's a quirk. Although I have no doubt that the AFL will be pushing all Vic games pretty hard in the first month to try and get their numbers up.

Freo have played Port in round 1 twice before - 2005 & 2007 - both at Subi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointing we start on a Sunday. This means we get one 6 day break compared to starting on a Saturday, or three more than starting on a Thursday.

Let's hope we have a better start than this year with 4 6-day breaks in the first 7 rounds, 1 9 day break and 1 13+ day break. I think it would be a good thing for both WA clubs to start with a derby on a Thursday\Friday night each year and play the next game on a Saturday.

Let's hope we don't play on a Sunday in round 22, so we can have a decent run going into finals.

Port are a great team but they forget that they had a healthy side ALL year. A few injuries can easily burst their bubble. I don't think they have the depth to cover some of their stars like a Hawks or Swans team can.

Round 1 is always a toss up. We'll be ready though, RTB knows no other way.

RTB has a great record in round 1 since he began his coaching career. From memory (let me know if this is wrong) in his 3 seasons at Freo we beat Brissy at the Gabba with a Walters goal very close to time in 2012. 2013 we knocked over the Egos and 2014 we plucked, stuffed and mounted Collingwood in Melbourne to start the year.

From memory at the Saints he had a draw in round 1 in one game but won most of the other games in the first week of the season.

RTB has a great record in round 1 since he began his coaching career. From memory (let me know if this is wrong) in his 3 seasons at Freo we beat Brissy at the Gabba with a Walters goal very close to time in 2012. 2013 we knocked over the Egos and 2014 we plucked, stuffed and mounted Collingwood in Melbourne to start the year.

From memory at the Saints he had a draw in round 1 in one game but won most of the other games in the first week of the season.
Incorrect. His first game as head coach for freo (rd 1, 2012) was a win against reigning premiers Geelong at Subi by 4 points (Pavlich soccer off the ground late in the match). 2013 Beat Eagles by 28 and Collingwood in 2014 by 70 are correct. Not sure about his reign at the Saints.

Last edited:
Port are a great team but they forget that they had a healthy side ALL year. A few injuries can easily burst their bubble. I don't think they have the depth to cover some of their stars like a Hawks or Swans team can.
They will quickly tell you that they were missing Trengove and Chaplain for a while there..

... that's when they fell from 1st to 5th.

Incorrect. His first game as head coach for freo (rd 1, 2012) was a win against reigning premiers Geelong at Subi by 4 points (Pavlich soccer off the ground late in the match). 2013 Beat Eagles by 28 and Collingwood in 2014 by 70 are correct. Not sure about his reign at the Saints.

No problem with the correction.

3 good wins against reasonable opposition to open the season since he started at Freo was what I was trying to get at. I expect him to have the team primed to play very well against Port first up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back