Autopsy Round 14: Sydney vs Port Adelaide 3 Things you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
1. The forward line looked good tonight and I would like to See Buddy and Tippett compliment it rather than own it.

2. I haven't said much about Shaw, he has been a great servant of the club and is a brave soldier but needs to be honourably discharged immediately.

3. It was a Shame to see young Rohan do a hammy (like AJ) how much does this man have to go through.

3b. BT is almost as big a FLOG as Dermie

What did i learn tonight .

1- the team has massive heart and can guts it out, so why does it dish up a half like last week? I guess i didnt learn the answer, all i wanted is that desperation for four quarters, the result is another issue if we arent good enough then whatever

2- towers needs to get his confidence up, see sam reid attack it now, towers needs to get to that because theres almost moments there

3- shaw has stayed in because who takes his place, well ive seen enough, jones is ready goodbye shaw, because this defence wont win the flag with shaw in it he is a liability

4 we need a key defender so badly but do we have someone on the list, is it reid? Free rampe up

5 nankervis gives me hope for our ruck future

1. I wrote us off before the game, at half time and when Teddy went down. The club showed heart and courage. I love this club.

2. Nankervis looks good for our ruck future.

3. Towers is good for NEAFL, not for AFL

4. Parker for future captain

5. Want to see this type of forward like again. Different. Don't always go to the main targets

Richards
Sucks that you were knocked out and I've always been your number one fan but your pathetic body efforts today were appalling. You're over the hill and can no longer hold your own in a contest, retire at year's end please.

Shaw
How are you still getting a game, you're a potato.

Laidler
You did some good things tonight but your handballs to people already being tackled were deplorable.

Towers
DO SOMETHING

Pyke
You're cooked, time to pack you up back to Canada.

1) Nankervis showed something but is a few years away yet. Has game sense and a bit of presence but does not have the tank. Will take time to get it properly up there and ensure no injuries from it.
2) In z. Jones out Shaw. Not sure when but looks increasingly a natural progression
3) Reid, you are officially not the whipping boy. Go join Grundy.

1. I bloody love this team. The heart those bloods showed in the second half of the third quarter typifies why we all support the mighty swannies.
2. Joey Kennedy and Dan Hannebery are superstars. They may have average quarters, even average games, but they stand up when we really need them like tonight.
3. I'm giving up on the commentary on our games. For them to continually say Port showed heart when we had so many players out and down to two on the interchange was legitimately cheerleading and pathetic. They did eventually acknowledge our heart, but it was almost an afterthought.
3a. Really solid debut by big Toby. He looks a keeper if he can develop a decent tank.

We rarely cross the 100 point for mark against any team (well at least this year) but have that sort of intention when going forward 50 and the unpredictability and then you add tippet and franklin to our forward line, we'll get over 100 every match but I wonder if we'll do that when they come back.

1. Towers is really frustrating as you can see he can be a good player. He kept getting himself in good spots but he kept fumbling at really bad moments.

2. Richards and Shaw are really over the hill. I would prefer we dropped both of them and played kids as I don't think either could be in the side come finals time.

3. Without Buddy and Tippett our forward line actually seemed to function a lot better

4. Our centre clearances are still a massive concern as we often gave Port really easy and clean clearances.

5. I liked having the 2 genuine ruckmen in the side rather than the 1 ruckman and one part time ruckman. It seemed to work reasonably well.

6. Jones should be in the side for the rest of the year. He has what it takes.

Bad things:

1. Ted is in struggle town (with Shaw).

2. Towers hasn't come on like a pick 22 (I think) should. Harry is better, but goes to ground easily, and hates body contact.

3. Our rucks are soooo slow and lumbering. I liked Nanka, but I'm still not convinced about our future in the ruck.

Good Things:

1. Goodes is sticking it to the critics. That run, bounce and goal had me punching the air and freaking out the cat.

2. Our leaders stood up when it mattered. Macca, Joey, Hanners, Kizza.

3. We have some ripper young guys coming through: Parker, Hanners, Tommy, Gaz, Zak, Sammy, Shaw (haha), Lloydy all under 25, and all showing some nice form (well not Shaw). Lloydy back to his best, and Sam really growing for a 23yo tall!!

1. We've found our guts again. Don't want to be overly dramatic when you've got the likes of Hannebery, Parker, Kennedy running around but that's the proudest I've been of this team since the 2013 prelim against Freo.

2. Mike Pyke. You don't know what you've got till it's gone and then comes back again. No he wasn't spectacular but his presence makes a difference.

3. Nankervis and Jones are the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richards
Sucks that you were knocked out and I've always been your number one fan but your pathetic body efforts today were appalling. You're over the hill and can no longer hold your own in a contest, retire at year's end please.

Shaw
How are you still getting a game, you're a potato.

Laidler
You did some good things tonight but your handballs to people already being tackled were deplorable.

Towers
DO SOMETHING

Pyke
You're cooked, time to pack you up back to Canada.

5 for 5 (though I probably would've said it a bit more kindly)

What I learnt? It's goodbye Kurt... You were awesome when you joined, but we're so much better without you now... So, I guess this is goodbye...

1. Fantastic gutsy victory. Didn't Goodes turn the clock back a few years. Will any of the experts give him credit? We are definitely back in the premiership race.
  2. Broadbent is a complete ******!! If it was he who tackled Richards, he would have stood on his hand. He's got a target on his back and vonn has a gun!!! Or a bottle of shiraz.
  3. The Man from Georgetown. Not Queensland, New South Wales or South Australia but Tasmania. Promising debut from Toby Nankervis.
  4. Pyke looks either cooked or injured. He really lumbered after the ball. Not discussing Shaw or Richards as it has been discussed already.

1. Richards always gives away frees like that. As long as he's third man up - he's fine. As much as I enjoy the talk of dropping him (eye roll) exactly what KPD do we replace him with? No one?
2. Shaw wasn't even that bad tonight, why are we fixating on him when Smith probably gave away more ball/mistakes or whatnot?
3. Towers needs to calm his nerves quick. If he doesn't, he won't make this team. I thought he was deplorable tonight.

It's so easy to bag out players for underperforming, but it's pointless when there aren't better alternatives. No team has a perfect list, sick of this 'carrying' players talk. You don't often find premiership teams who aren't 'carrying' someone to a degree.

1. See what happens when you lower your eyes boys, stop kicking long bombs from now on!
2. If Parker isn't the next captain, I'll be so surprised. Him and Jack were seriously BOG.
3. Nanka will be good in 6-12 months. Good debut.
4. Shaw forward was good, less clangers up there and we could hide him up there doing nothing! Sir Swans you are a genius!
5. I thought horse was a bad gameday coach, Ken Hinkley takes the cake!

1. Richards always gives away frees like that. As long as he's third man up - he's fine. As much as I enjoy the talk of dropping him (eye roll) exactly what KPD do we replace him with? No one?
2. Shaw wasn't even that bad tonight, why are we fixating on him when Smith probably gave away more ball/mistakes or whatnot?
3. Towers needs to calm his nerves quick. If he doesn't, he won't make this team. I thought he was deplorable tonight.

It's so easy to bag out players for underperforming, but it's pointless when there aren't better alternatives. No team has a perfect list, sick of this 'carrying' players talk. You don't often find premiership teams who aren't 'carrying' someone to a degree.

Which players were carried to premierships to a degree?

Richards is no longer a viable key defender he is a third option at best, Reid is a replacment

Horse moved shaw out of the way in the last, mcveigh and jones back was a lot better, he makes dumb errors and shuts down no one
Smith was woeful tonight too, but shaw is like it every week

Which players were carried to premierships to a degree?

Richards is no longer a viable key defender he is a third option at best, Reid is a replacment

Horse moved shaw out of the way in the last, mcveigh and jones back was a lot better, he makes dumb errors and shuts down no one
Smith was woeful tonight too, but shaw is like it every week

You could make a very valid case for Morton in 2012, even though he kicked two goals - he's the kind of guy that was in and out of the team through the year.

Edit: I accidentally pressed post before I meant too. I'm not getting into an argument about Shaw again, it's been done to death both here and on the podcast.

Reid as KPD - fine - but he was needed in the forward like tonight, so who else from the reserves can we bring in? Richards for all his one on one work is quite solid around the ground. I don't think XR or Alir would have that level of composure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back