Unofficial Preview Round 15 - Hawthorn v Fremantle, AS, 120pm WST - Thrilla in Antarctica

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not worried about playing down there.

What annoys me is the missed opportunity for us to play at the G, when we only get one game there a year - this is a disgrace. Why send Freo to Tasmania? Just down right stupid and a missed opportunity for both Freo (who are in premiership contention, missing the opportunity to play on a ground they have to win on ultimately), and the AFL in the showcase that would have been Freo vs Hawks at the G.

What annoys me is the missed opportunity for us to play at the G, when we only get one game there a year - this is a disgrace. Why send Freo to Tasmania? Just down right stupid and a missed opportunity for both Freo (who are in premiership contention, missing the opportunity to play on a ground they have to win on ultimately), and the AFL in the showcase that would have been Freo vs Hawks at the G.

Simple answer is we do not draw a big enough crowd to the g. That's why hawks only play interstate teams which is fair enough. They are not going to put Melbourne based sides down there are they?
The reality is we have to win a flag on the g but we do not play there a lot. So be it.
Many, many interstate teams have done it and to be frank if an interstate team wins at the g in the grand - final imagine how much they would have won by in there home state.

For the record since 1990 Interstate teams have won 11 Premierships and Victorian sides have won 14.
Pretty good effort for the non vic clubs. Considering there are 10 vic sides.Shows that it is a pretty even competition......generally speaking.

2 of arguably the top 3 teams, playing on the G on a Sunday afternoon wouldn't pull a crowd???

Don't want to derail the thread, but I personally cant wait until the G isn't the automatic host of the GF - was discussed on the 4 chairman panel discussion hosted by Gerard Whateley earlier in the season, and once we have our new stadium every state will then have a world quality stadium - so there really is no reason to keep it at the G other than to advantage Victorian teams in an Australian wide competition.

2 of arguably the top 3 teams, playing on the G on a Sunday afternoon wouldn't pull a crowd???

Don't want to derail the thread, but I personally cant wait until the G isn't the automatic host of the GF - was discussed on the 4 chairman panel discussion hosted by Gerard Whateley earlier in the season, and once we have our new stadium every state will then have a world quality stadium - so there really is no reason to keep it at the G other than to advantage Victorian teams in an Australian wide competition.

This.

I was going to make the same point myself. The non-vic clubs need to agitate about it now so there is pressure on the AFL not to simply extend the current deal on the basis of tradition or some-such. A national competition means GF hosting rights to the top-placed team, subject to minimum stadium requirements.

The travel factor is a cop out IMO.

Nah it's legit.

In our cricket season we played all our games North of the river. Went through the season undefeated.

The GF was held South of the river, we got destroyed.

Boys couldn't handle the extra 18 minutes in the car and it led to a monumental batting collapse.

Regarding the match, I think we're a chance. Clearly we need to dominate the midfield, be up in pressure for four quarters and take our chances when they come.

The line on Sportsbet is 15.5 - I think that's about right. Hopefully we finish 16 points or more over that.

Oh, and if we ever wanted to play in Broome, expect the AFL to send St. Kilda/WB/Melbourne or the interstate clubs (with the exception of Sydney) to play. There's no way any of the untouchable big Vics will make that trip.
The AFL is a business, they schedule the big drawing clubs at venues that hold the capacity. They are pretty much owned by the TV rights these days, it underpins everything they do and that makes the FIXture just that, a FIX.

As for this game, it won't be the blowout people expect, I don't think anyway. Ross will want you guys to win this badly, it means a fair bit in the context of the season for both of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL is a business, they schedule the big drawing clubs at venues that hold the capacity. They are pretty much owned by the TV rights these days, it underpins everything they do and that makes the FIXture just that, a FIX.

As for this game, it won't be the blowout people expect, I don't think anyway. Ross will want you guys to win this badly, it means a fair bit in the context of the season for both of us.
Game of the round, yet how many get to see this live? Pointless exercise with no actual Tassie team in the pipeline.

After the way RTB has talked about Hawthorn all year, there's no way he throws away this chance to measure up with them, we will definitely play at 100%

That's true, but we weren't really potential front-runners then
For sure, it's what he seems to design his gameplan off. He locks onto a team and tries to find a gamestyle that will take them down.

It's clear from his rhetoric and his closeness to Clarko that the Hawks are in his sights. Hopefully he has them figured out this year.

Agree that he is gonna be looking to break them down this weekend.

Last edited:
It's clear from his rhetoric and his closeness to Clarko that the Hawks are in his sights. Hopefully he has them figured out this year.

I got the feeling Clarko letting RTB get close during the international rules was a tactical mistake. Even if Clarko didn't say much, Ross would have gotten something out of it.

For Ross there is no such thing as the "off season"

Long term forecast for launceston is 11c but sunny!! please be a dry game for once

Hawthorn have lost their last 8 games when held to 13 or less goals.

Freo have won their last 42 games when they have scored 12 goals or more. The last time Freo scored 12+ goals and lost - rd 20, 2012, v Adelaide - we have played 67 games since then.

We can win this week - must not get blown away in the first 10 minutes, must not get involved in a shoot-out and must bring our defensive A game.

Most sensible post in this thread.

Can we keep them to less than 13 goals. I back Macca, Ibbo, Spurr and Duffield but I feel poor A. Pearce will have his work cut out for him, through no fault of his own.

Can we kick 3 goals or more a quarter? Only with large effect from Ballantyne and an even spread of midfield goal kickers... Especially Hill.

I think we get 2, but I see your point.

EDIT: Adelaide, Port Adelaide and West Coast only get 1, Swans and Freo get 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back