Unofficial Preview Round 15 - Hawthorn v Fremantle, AS, 120pm WST - Thrilla in Antarctica

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they have a lot of quality players , yes they have shafted us many times in the past , yes they have been the best attacking side so far this year. However this is skewed by large wins against some lowly sides and they have been inconsistent. Inconsistency is the sign that there is a problem somewhere either in attitude or conditioning.

I'm not sure Hawthorn have been any more inconsistent than us. They've lost 4 games by less than 10 points, largely all by inaccurate goal kicking. They could have easily won every game (just like we won similar games against say Collingwood, GC, Adelaide, Dogs) and be undefeated.

Personally I think it is fantastic Hawthorn has a commitment in Tassie. The balance needs to include a return bout in Perth, perhaps every second year. I am comfortable with the AFL working the fixture for promoting the game to build a national profile. My biggest gripe was the flight was not direct although I understand that this has changed.

Having said that, depending on how the season is panning out I am all for selective resting of players, and this game will always be considered for that. However, I think we need this win. I think our coach needs this win.

OMFG, after reading the arrogant Hawks supporters claim they are going to SMASH us this weekend, I so hope we beat them in Tassie. Oh the sweet joy I will have replying to their snide comments on their board.

OMFG, after reading the arrogant Hawks supporters claim they are going to SMASH us this weekend, I so hope we beat them in Tassie. Oh the sweet joy I will have replying to their snide comments on their board.

I think they're quietly confident, and they have every right to be.

It's the same feeling I've had nearly everything we've played Geelong over the last 4 seasons.

The Tasmanian government shouldn't waste money granted to them by the Commonwealth on footy games until they fix their woeful literacy rates and under education problem. Only half of Tasmanians can read and write to an acceptable standard, and even fewer go past year 10.

It won't rain for this game, but rain is expected for about three days before. I'll go and do a key test on Friday and report back.

The biggest concern for our boys is that most of the game will be played as the sun is going down and the temperature will plummet. The wind is also forecast to pick up around start time. Chill factor will be horrendous.
This could be good. The players will have to run a lot to keep warm.

The Tasmanian government shouldn't waste money granted to them by the Commonwealth on footy games until they fix their woeful literacy rates and under education problem. Only half of Tasmanians can read and write to an acceptable standard, and even fewer go past year 10.
Sounds like a fantastic way to promote the state at a national level while also providing access to something most Australians expect as normal.

Anyone know who's commentating this game? Is it going to be another Bruce Mcavaney spank fest over Cyril. Hope not

Anyone know who's commentating this game? Is it going to be another Bruce Mcavaney spank fest over Cyril. Hope not
I heard it was being called by some local fella
images

Sounds like a fantastic way to promote the state at a national level while also providing access to something most Australians expect as normal.
The reason we can complain about it though is because we all pay for it. Tasmania gets the bulk of it's money from the Federal government so our taxes basically go to Hawthorn. The deal was fine when they were struggling but now that the Hawks are flying, they don't need our tax payer funded charity.

I would have thought being able to read and having a decent education would be more 'normal' than seeing the occasional footy match. Most high schools in Tasmania don't go past year 10 because there isn't the money to fund them.

WA taxpayers have their money redistributed to Tassie so their state government can spend money on Melbourne clubs so they can host WA clubs that aren't profitable for them in Melbourne.

Grew up in Northern Tassie and taught in a number of schools. The economic woes of the State Government are reflected in many ways. I have a number of former colleagues who recently took redundancies and moved interstate - morale is very low as the class sizes increase. Read somewhere that average student teacher ratios are 9% higher than the other states.
Many of my former students have moved interstate chasing opportunity and work.
I visit family once a year and the lack of impetus/stimulus is palpable. The positive for us footy fans is that Tassie continues to produce some excellent players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tassie is just the white fella's "remote community". I'd love to drag a vic team up to the top end once a year if we were funded to do so.

Be fun to see our Hill on Smith or maybe head to head with his brother. Stephen normally brings his A game against Hawthorn when he's playing against his Bro. He's had the better of all the match ups so far.

Stephen should inflict "camel bites" on the little brother. ( note to AFL, big brother on little brother rules apply here !!!! ).

He would have Balla's in fits of laughter.

Northern Tassie also has a rampant ice problem although in fairness that's almost everywhere in Aus these days. The bolded is a pretty horrific "stat".

Aren't you forced to complete school right to the end now?
When somebody writes something like Only half of Tasmanians can read and write to an acceptable standard, it isn't a real stat. It may or may not be true, but because it contains a wobbly value like 'an acceptable standard' it has no real debating point. It isn't necessarily a comment about current education as it refers to half of Tasmanians, not young people or those under 30, or whatever. But the issue of youth unemployment in northern Tassie has little to do with literacy levels from what i can see.

When somebody writes something like Only half of Tasmanians can read and write to an acceptable standard, it isn't a real stat. It may or may not be true, but because it contains a wobbly value like 'an acceptable standard' it has no real debating point. It isn't necessarily a comment about current education as it refers to half of Tasmanians, not young people or those under 30, or whatever. But the issue of youth unemployment in northern Tassie has little to do with literacy levels from what i can see.

At least half of Tasmania's population cannot read or write properly, and test results from school-aged children are showing a growing gap between Tasmanian teenagers and those on the mainland.

The latest global report card on 15-year-olds found a disturbing "dumbing down" of Tasmanian teenagers.

More than half of the state's students fell below the national baseline for maths, compared to 42 per cent nationally.

Forty-seven per cent failed the minimum standard of English, compared to 36 per cent nationally.
Only 43 per cent of Tasmanian students finished Year 12 in 2011. The only place in Australia with poorer educational outcomes was the Northern Territory.

Tasmania is the only state in the country where public high schools stop at year 10. Students who want to go on need to attend different schools that accommodate year 12.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-...-alarm-over-tasmanian-literacy-levels/5270968
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-29/less-than-half-of-tasmanian-students-finishing/4920590

Why is Commonwealth money being spent on games of football?

I have family in Hobart and one is a nurse whilst the other is a headmaster. Their advice is that the Tas Government is always broke because they have to triplicate infrastructure. Tasmanians think that Tasmania is quite large and that to travel from Hobart to Launceston is a long trip. My family when they visit WA fall off their chairs thinking about how far Margaret River is from Perth whilst we don't even bat an eyelid.

Tasmania is basically divided into three because of this perception. The south, the north east and the north west and they don't like travelling between them much.

The result is that if one part of the state gets a new hospital then the other two have to as well even though they're only an hour or so apart. Same with police stations, schools whatever.

This is also why putting a football team there is problematic. If they base it in Hobart then people from up north wont attend and vice versa.

New thread on Richmond site. How stupid are Victorians? Enjoy.

It seems the only high schools that go past year 10 are in Launceston or Hobart, which is a pretty big disincentive if you live out in the sticks.

Doesn't really explain why most Tasmanians can't use a roundabout and/or don't know what an indicator is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back