Review Round 16, Gold Coast Suns vs GWS Giants, Saturday July 18, 2.10pm, Metricon Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think Whitfield will be dropped - he's still our best link man for mine. His decision making and skill by foot is serious an asset.

From what I watched of the reggies last week, Barrett was the best mid on the field by a mile, and while Kelly accumulated the ball, his efficiency was (by my eyeball test) well down. As for who Barrett replaces I'm not sure. I'm nowhere near as bearish on Treloar as some of you guys are. He was, outside of Cal, our best catch 'n' kill midfielder last week, and irrespective of where he's at with his contract negotiations I think running him around in the twos, even for a week or two, is a bad idea with finals on the line.

Phillips might come in (you'd hope so after 84 hitouts) for Downie, but I dont think he comes in for Lobb - Lobb is a legit threat as a forward while Downie and Phillips are not, and I'm not keen on having a passenger at full forward.

Hampton will hold his spot (the whole Scully 100/ Hampton 50 campaign thing kinda gave that away).

In: Phillips
Out: Downie
Sub: Williams

I dont think Whitfield will be dropped - he's still our best link man for mine. His decision making and skill by foot is serious an asset.

From what I watched of the reggies last week, Barrett was the best mid on the field by a mile, and while Kelly accumulated the ball, his efficiency was (by my eyeball test) well down. As for who Barrett replaces I'm not sure. I'm nowhere near as bearish on Treloar as some of you guys are. He was, outside of Cal, our best catch 'n' kill midfielder last week, and irrespective of where he's at with his contract negotiations I think running him around in the twos, even for a week or two, is a bad idea with finals on the line.

Phillips might come in (you'd hope so after 84 hitouts) for Downie, but I dont think he comes in for Lobb - Lobb is a legit threat as a forward while Downie and Phillips are not, and I'm not keen on having a passenger at full forward.

Hampton will hold his spot (the whole Scully 100/ Hampton 50 campaign thing kinda gave that away).

In: Phillips
Out: Downie
Sub: Williams
If Barrett comes in he is sub, I'm hoping Zac has earned a rest from that gig, his 4 qtr efforts are unquestionable.

Yeah, look tears in the meniscus can occur and you don't really notice it. Then you go a do something innocuous and all of a sudden you feel it. Chances are he damaged it in an earlier contest, then it became evident when running in to kick the goal. That is why he looked so confused when it happened. The severity and nature of the tear will dictate how they repair it and the recover time.

Can vouch for this, did mine last year playing cricket and was ok on the day, just felt strained, next day could not move it sideways without sharp pain.

People heal differently but I'd say he's gone for the year

GWS GIANTS

FB: Heath Shaw, Nick Haynes, Curtly Hampton

HB: Matt Buntine, Aidan Corr, Zac Williams

C: Devon Smith, Ryan Griffen, Adam Tomlinson
HF: Rhys Palmer, Jeremy Cameron, Callan Ward
FF: Tom Scully, Cam McCarthy, Lachie Whitfield

R: Rory Lobb, Adam Treloar, Jack Steele

Interchange: Stephen Coniglio, Tom Downie, Josh Kelly, Toby Greene

In: Josh Kelly
Out: Dylan Shiel (knee)

Emergencies: Jed Lamb, Nathan Wilson, Will Hoskin-Elliott

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hampton's career has had a renaissance since the injury to our backs. Just too frustrating with his decision making/clangers to make me really like him though.

Interesting article in the age about curtly. He ultimately sees himself as a midfielder. If he can increase his defensive work he could be such a weapon in the midfield. He is extremely powerful and quick... Have a look when players try and tackle him... He always stands in the tackle. Would love to see him play some consistent footy where he really competes in every contest.

Interesting article in the age about curtly. He ultimately sees himself as a midfielder. If he can increase his defensive work he could be such a weapon in the midfield. He is extremely powerful and quick... Have a look when players try and tackle him... He always stands in the tackle. Would love to see him play some consistent footy where he really competes in every contest.
He may need to look elsewhere if he wants mid field time. As a big bodied mid, he could be a real asset, if he plays consistent footy and keeps improving his efficiency. His avenue into the mid field is wing, then centres.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be great to see how Cameron and the assistants coach Hampton .He was good last week at
He may need to look elsewhere if he wants mid field time. As a big bodied mid, he could be a real asset, if he plays consistent footy and keeps improving his efficiency. His avenue into the mid field is wing, then centres.

In short spurts it could work.He doesnt have the tank yet to go in for sustained periods.From memory he was nearly last when I saw them do the time trials pre season but Treloar wasnt great either. though .Hamptons problem is sometimes he doesnt take the first option but that has to countered by his ability to start up a chain of possessions.This comes from his evasiveness which is the best at the giants.At 22 his ceiling is so high compared to say Kennedy.He gets rid of his silly mistakes which could be done and he could be a multiple all Australian playing off half back

Wouldn't it be great to win the derby and confirm a finals spot?

Let's not start to get ahead of ourselves now. :p

We've got Essendon at home and finish the season against Carlton and Melbourne. Even Geelong at Canberra could be a winnable game for us. A win this weekend at the Gold Coast would be a huge step towards a potential finals berth.

It's a simple equation - 4 wins out of 8 games. A win on Saturday would certainly narrow the gap.

Wouldn't it be great to win the derby and confirm a finals spot?

Last ladder predictor I did says 12 wins only gets you in on % and ours is ordinary, we really need to find one more.

I havent seen much of Gold Coast lately but with all there mids out but still have Ablett and Nicholls( who smashed Pyke) and big bodies, Hallahan , Rischetelli and Lonergan Rocket may try to make this a stoppagefest.If they win these and take some marks in forward 50 with there talls they have some.hope.We win stoppages then spread and run Giants should win easy.

I'm a huge fan of Tomlinson, and he did a good job on Riewoldt last week.

However his disposal is rubbish. Way too many turnovers. Should we consider swapping positions with him and Hampton? I know I'm contradicting myself by putting him in defense where good disposal is super important. Maybe he needs to go on the same training program as Greene.

Interested in peoples opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back