Review Round 21 - Sydney V. St Kilda - Match Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You are full of it. Biggs was very good today, 24 disposals and in the best for us. I don't know why some fans like you can't except the lad had a very good match. Lloyd the same. What do these kids have to do to get your approval, kill someone!!!

Whatevs!
I don't think Biggs is anywhere near as good as Cunningham or Lloyd or Jones. If he was he would have got a game before any of those 3. Yeah?
Lloyd and Cunningham are miles ahead of him.
XXX disposals is a rather shallow measure of a player's contribution.
Biggs had zero impact on the game and IMO got found wanting a couple of times...certainly not the end of the world, he is only a kid after all.
Anyone that thinks he is going to step into Shaw's place is as deluded as those poor Hawkies fans.
What he did today is nowhere near good enough to keep him in the team long term... IMO.

Biggs only played StKilda but if shaw comes back he would want to play bloody well to keep biggs out

Sheesh, Shaw makes things happen and is vital to our game come September.
Biggs is not best 22, not gonna take Shaw's spot, miles behind Richie and Lloyd.
Needs to learn to tackle with his hips not just his arms. Only has to look at the way BJ, Lloyd and Richie do it.

Congratulations guys. Whilst not what I wanted, Sydney were clinical in their disposal of the Saints. Can see a grand final play off, with you and the Hawks. Good luck.

Thanks to Sydney players for the guard of honour and applause for Lenny Hayes, when the Saints were leaving the ground. In these days of drafts, trading, free agency, etc it was sensational for your players to recognise and acknowledge a much loved player and an icon of the St Kilda Football Club. As a Saints supporter, I thought that your players actions (and those of the Bulldogs players last week) speak volumes of the strength of character in your list. Well done.

Whatevs!
I don't think Biggs is anywhere near as good as Cunningham or Lloyd or Jones. If he was he would have got a game before any of those 3. Yeah?
Biggs had zero impact on the game and IMO got found wanting a couple of times...certainly not the end of the world, he is only a kid after all.
Anyone that thinks he is going to step into Shaw's place is as deluded as those poor Hawkies fans.
What he did today is nowhere near good enough to keep him in the team long term... IMO.

Biggs is not best 22, not gonna take Shaw's spot, miles behind Richie and Lloyd.
Needs to learn to tackle with his hips not just his arms. Only has to look at the way BJ, Lloyd and Richie do it.
Reason Biggs hasn't played earlier is he was rookie listed. Need to be elevated to do so. And that only happens when a player is put on long term injury list . Players on main list will play befor a rookie even if they are not as good for this reason.
He played well yesterday. In neafl he been playing the outside running hb roll cause of his ability composure good pace and kicking accuracy. Roll hasn't been to jump in and tackle cause there are players whose roll that is. His roll is to be out there receive the ball from the pack and send forward which he does very effectively. Yesterday he played more off the wing in a midfield roll and did well I believe he laid six or seven tackles a couple were a little light but hey the game is faster the boys are stronger in the seniors. He will only get better with more game time. Was also on Lenny at times and kept his impact on game down.

Whatevs!

Will have to rewatch the tackling but biggs is a way better kick than up n under shaw for anstart

Shaw easily has Biggs' measure in terms of bodywork. He just knows the ins and outs of defending and eeking an opponent out of position. Biggs is learning his trade in that area. But I see him doing a Rampe in very short order. His carry is great. He's hard to tackle. And some of those raking kicks back inside from the wing to an attacking option, or out to the pockets to find a fwd lead were excellent.

Will have to rewatch the tackling but biggs is a way better kick than up n under shaw for anstart

More important than the absolute precision of kicks is the run, whenever we start getting into the chip-chip nonsense it is always Shaw that takes the game on. We play our best when we take the game on. When Shaw does it the other players follow.
I'm not convinced about the Biggs hype, Hewett is a much better kick & he does it on both sides.

I thought a few posters got carried away with Biggs on the back of his performances at the end of last season. He was serviceable in my opinion. Yesterday though he really looked like he could slot right in and become another Rampe.

Last edited:
I thought a few posters got carried away with Biggs on the back of his performances at the end of last season. He was serviceable in my opinion. Yesterday though he really looked like he could slot right in and become another Rampe.

Big call, not sure he has the hair to be honest

I would not expect him to set the world alight as a 3 or 4 gamer, but for mine he was so-so.
Don't think he was any better than Towers, but he is not fighting for a spot with Towers.
Got brushed off far too easily in some tackles just sticking his arms out. That is not good enough. Notwithstanding he was not the only one today.

I watched the replay last night and Biggsie never got brushed off once. Gwilt wrong footed him once and Hayes on the boundary stopped and propped and he missed the tackle. Hayes is hard to tackle at the best of times. Biggsie played on Hayes in the first half and kept him to 8 possessions while accumulating 13 himself. To be given a huge role like that Longmire would have to have a great deal of confidence in the kid. Some of his tackling on the replay was ferocious and he laid quite a few. He was also one of the players who didn't waste the ball too much in the dreadful, gone to sleep, second quarter. His sense of what Lloydy was going to do was wonderful and set up lots of attacks. The kid is a stayer as far as I am concerned and played really well.

There is a lot of criticism of Dean Towers on all boards. He has been given a role in every game so far and that is to play defensive forward to stop the run out of defence by taking the attacking back. He has done this quite well and caused quite a few turnovers. This allows Harry to play a more attacking role. While he is not quite there yet he is getting there. He is gaining in confidence every game and by the reaction to his goal the players love Deano a lot.

We played more the style of footy we played against Cats on Saturday. Saints like to play a similar game to Cats and bring the ball into the forward line by running it through the corridor. We set the net up and closed it around them causing the turn over time and again. Other than the second quarter lapse we played some very good footy. I think we need to maintain this sort of footy for the rest of the season, without the lapses in concentration like the second quarter. I don't care who comes into this side, they all play their role and do the job. So all those who say don't change anything, don't rest or play young players stuff you. Our young players are doing the job just as well as the old players and in some cases better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatevs!

For a start he is not vying with Cunningham or Lloyd for a spot, one is a forward, one is a mid, he is a back. You are deluded if you don't think his job Saturday was done very well. you are totally wrong, he had a huge impact on the game, you might like to watch the replay, go to YouTube and look up Swans matches or Slingshot Footy. I watched the replay and his delivery was pretty good and set up several goals. He and Lloydy combine very well together. I think you have just taken a grudge against the young fella and can't see past your own prejudice.

Shaw is nearly finished mate and we need to replace him as he is in the twilight of his career, he is 33 after all and quite injury prone now. The other one we will have to replace next season is probably Mal as he will probably leave for a retirement fund at Melbourne. Both Biggsie & Jones will be required in the backline. I don't know if you have ever played the game but you don't seem a very astute observer.

More important than the absolute precision of kicks is the run, whenever we start getting into the chip-chip nonsense it is always Shaw that takes the game on. We play our best when we take the game on. When Shaw does it the other players follow.
I'm not convinced about the Biggs hype, Hewett is a much better kick & he does it on both sides.

I am starting to wonder whether you know anything about positioning at all. Hewett is an inside mid, Biggs is essentially a back or if he plays off the wing an outside mid. Their roles are as different as chalk & cheese. Hewett will get his go in the mids but there is time for him to develop yet as he is very young, the youngest player on our list. Biggs has good run & carry but it is his long raking kicks to position that is outstanding. Hewett has far more HB than kicks but does indeed kick both feet. Watch the replay and then tell me that some of the kicks that hit up Lloydy in the HB/BP were not beauties. You just don't like Biggs and nobody is going to change your mind are they! About the same as Bedford with Towers.

I think 22 disposals on début against a rampant Hawks outfit was something to get a little excited about.

Thanks to Sydney players for the guard of honour and applause for Lenny Hayes, when the Saints were leaving the ground.
Really liked how Lenny just ran through it. None of this milking the occasion in front of opposition supporters. :) And Rampe making an effort to reach out and shake his hand. A symbolic gesture of thanks for helping to pave a way for Sydney bred AFL players.

Biggs was very good , lets remember how big the step up is from NEAFL to AFL is and it didn't take him long to adapt in his first game for the year ( yes Saints ).
25 possies 6 tackles of HB/wing is very good and taking nothing away from Shaw but he always takes time to get going after injury etc , so for biggs to come straight in and have an impact was impressive.
Knows how to find the Footy and is a very good kick and I hope he keeps his spot

The guard was formed to stop Jude Bolton from getting at him, the all time tackle record belongs to him.

Ironically both have said publicly that they are happy for the other to hold the record. A measure of the quality and integrity of both of them.

I am starting to wonder whether you know anything about positioning at all. Hewett is an inside mid, Biggs is essentially a back or if he plays off the wing an outside mid. Their roles are as different as chalk & cheese. Hewett will get his go in the mids but there is time for him to develop yet as he is very young, the youngest player on our list. Biggs has good run & carry but it is his long raking kicks to position that is outstanding. Hewett has far more HB than kicks but does indeed kick both feet. Watch the replay and then tell me that some of the kicks that hit up Lloydy in the HB/BP were not beauties. You just don't like Biggs and nobody is going to change your mind are they! About the same as Bedford with Towers.

I watched the replay last night and Biggsie never got brushed off once. Gwilt wrong footed him once and Hayes on the boundary stopped and propped and he missed the tackle. Hayes is hard to tackle at the best of times. Biggsie played on Hayes in the first half and kept him to 8 possessions while accumulating 13 himself. To be given a huge role like that Longmire would have to have a great deal of confidence in the kid. Some of his tackling on the replay was ferocious and he laid quite a few. He was also one of the players who didn't waste the ball too much in the dreadful, gone to sleep, second quarter. His sense of what Lloydy was going to do was wonderful and set up lots of attacks. The kid is a stayer as far as I am concerned and played really well.

There is a lot of criticism of Dean Towers on all boards. He has been given a role in every game so far and that is to play defensive forward to stop the run out of defence by taking the attacking back. He has done this quite well and caused quite a few turnovers. This allows Harry to play a more attacking role. While he is not quite there yet he is getting there. He is gaining in confidence every game and by the reaction to his goal the players love Deano a lot.

We played more the style of footy we played against Cats on Saturday. Saints like to play a similar game to Cats and bring the ball into the forward line by running it through the corridor. We set the net up and closed it around them causing the turn over time and again. Other than the second quarter lapse we played some very good footy. I think we need to maintain this sort of footy for the rest of the season, without the lapses in concentration like the second quarter. I don't care who comes into this side, they all play their role and do the job. So all those who say don't change anything, don't rest or play young players stuff you. Our young players are doing the job just as well as the old players and in some cases better.

You start off by saying he never got brushed off then highlight Gwilt and Hayes stepping around him. Hayes and Gwilt. And both did so because Biggs stuck his arms out to tackle, that is a very poor technique. If you would like to check I said he should look at Lloyd and Richie for tips on tackling techniques for youngsters. NOTE that I did not compare him to a more seasoned player. For a really good example have a look at the way Lloyd tackled Mumford.
Then you say Biggs is essentially a back or winger or outside mid then once again contradict yourself by highlighting that he was playing on Hayes. The same Hayes that plays, and ONLY plays, as an inside mid.
I am not a fan of the way Biggs plays, I think much of the hype is completely overblown.He is just a kid, learning the ropes but IMO has much to learn.
I don't go out of my way to criticize our young players, I have repeatedly posted how I love the way Richie and Lloydy go about it. In fact I stated that Lloyd should be kept in the team ahead of McVeigh, when IMO McVeigh was dreadfully out of form.

You are just taking potshots at me because I don't agree with your opinion on Biggs. It is actually you that would never change your mind, despite your posting of arguments that actually support what I said. I don't think my criticism of the couple of flaws in his game was over top, perhaps I could have been a bit more balanced by highlighting some of the good things he did.
As for comparing me to Badford. LOL. The same Badford that rips into someone's commitment as a supporter for daring to suggest a game against a minnow was meh, & then complains about the timing of the game because it clashes with something else he had on. That kind of hypocrisy sounds more like you.

The one thing I do agree with Badford on is the idea that replacing proven players with youngsters is completely ridiculous. You (and others like you) compare Biggsy's best (from a very small sample size) to the worst of someone like Shaw. It is a nonsense comparison because it suits the argument. Shaw v Biggs and it is Shaw every day of the week on exposed form. Shaw is capable of turning a game our way, because he has done so before.

Biggsy is a blood so he is not all bad, I am sure I will come around and enjoy his game as much as you obviously do, for now I will keep my seat on the Jones/Cunningham/Lloyd/Hewett bandwagons, all of whom can do no wrong in my eyes.

You start off by saying he never got brushed off then highlight Gwilt and Hayes stepping around him. Hayes and Gwilt. And both did so because Biggs stuck his arms out to tackle, that is a very poor technique. If you would like to check I said he should look at Lloyd and Richie for tips on tackling techniques for youngsters. NOTE that I did not compare him to a more seasoned player. For a really good example have a look at the way Lloyd tackled Mumford.
Then you say Biggs is essentially a back or winger or outside mid then once again contradict yourself by highlighting that he was playing on Hayes. The same Hayes that plays, and ONLY plays, as an inside mid.
I am not a fan of the way Biggs plays, I think much of the hype is completely overblown.He is just a kid, learning the ropes but IMO has much to learn.
I don't go out of my way to criticize our young players, I have repeatedly posted how I love the way Richie and Lloydy go about it. In fact I stated that Lloyd should be kept in the team ahead of McVeigh, when IMO McVeigh was dreadfully out of form.

You are just taking potshots at me because I don't agree with your opinion on Biggs. It is actually you that would never change your mind, despite your posting of arguments that actually support what I said. I don't think my criticism of the couple of flaws in his game was over top, perhaps I could have been a bit more balanced by highlighting some of the good things he did.
As for comparing me to Badford. LOL. The same Badford that rips into someone's commitment as a supporter for daring to suggest a game against a minnow was meh, & then complains about the timing of the game because it clashes with something else he had on. That kind of hypocrisy sounds more like you.

The one thing I do agree with Badford on is the idea that replacing proven players with youngsters is completely ridiculous. You (and others like you) compare Biggsy's best (from a very small sample size) to the worst of someone like Shaw. It is a nonsense comparison because it suits the argument. Shaw v Biggs and it is Shaw every day of the week on exposed form. Shaw is capable of turning a game our way, because he has done so before.

Biggsy is a blood so he is not all bad, I am sure I will come around and enjoy his game as much as you obviously do, for now I will keep my seat on the Jones/Cunningham/Lloyd/Hewett bandwagons, all of whom can do no wrong in my eyes.
Biggs spill your drink or something

Remove this Banner Ad

Back