Preview Round 23: Sydney Swans V Richmond Tigers @ ANZ Stadium 30/08/2014 - 4:40 PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got placement off uni Saturday, flying up tomorrow arvo with the missus and her family (tiges supporters thank Christ) This is the game if we are to have a chance is where lids leads from the front, he has been a monster the past 6-7weeks, but he never really has delivered one of those performances in a game with this much on the line ( bar not having the opportunity playing in such a s**t side for so long), cotchin isn't 100%, just needs to lead by example make his tackles stick! first to the ball! no sideways 25m passing ect, dusty is a natural forward and should spend more than usual time there where on a smaller ground griffos kick could lead to many 1 on 1 situations. Richmonds barometer imo are ellis, titch, rance and lids; all need to fire

Start is absolutely critical. Open up 3-4 goals on them and will they really want to dig in?

Mindset far more important than personnel.

Agreed. I think they will try to steam roll us in the first and second quarters. That way it will allow them to rest there main guns and sub a tippet. What we need to do is absorb that and either be within a couple of goals or the best case actually in front. I seriously think if we are in front by the half way mark of the third some of the sydney players will start to go into preservation mode and not do everything they can for a win.

Now I hate to say it but the best scenario is that a sydney player hurts himself early. If that happens then that will get into the players heads as lets face it, they all believe they will be playing in a GF.

I would put Rance on Buddy. He is proven that he can match Buddy for speed and tank. Being this game is at ANZ it will allow us to slow there delivery into there forwards so hiopefuly rance can play in front of buddy and tear him up, aka the hawks game.

I would then put Grimes on Goodes. He can go with him, but also run off him.

Chaplin has to go to tippet but I would be telling Batch to never leave the defensive 50 and his main job is third man up and to block space and also as important to bash into Tippet and buddy every time they go for the ball.

I know its contrite but this game will come down to our midfield v theirs. If our boys get on top and apply pressure for longer we will win this. They really dont have a man for Griffiths. I would place Edwards on Rohan as yes Rohan is faster then Edwards but Edwards is dangerous. If edwards can get dangerous early, it will force Rohan to man him up which will kill a lot of there run.

Another strength/weakness of the swans is that they go to Buddy/tippet close to 50% of the time. They wont change that habit in the game. So if we can stop just one of there forwards, that will hurt there ability to score.

God, I cant wait.

I think Griff and Vicks can play together this week, play Griff further out and let him roam giving us a long option as Sydney wont let us run the ball through the middle as much.
I Liked what Dimma said in the dissection regarding our sideways and backwards movement vs StKilda, said its been addressed and we will play more direct this week.

Don't believe this for a second..... Difference was the fact it was a dead rubber.... we wanted it more when they were as they already looking ahead to the next week..... but tanking it wasn't.

Agree with this.
I can't see Sydney sticking to their word and playing ' a full strength side'. In the event they do, win the game and suffer injuries, the management and supporters would be livid as they could and should be avoided in a seemingly dead rubber.
Tigers just need to do what they have been doing so well for the last 2 months. Play consistent football, play hard and win the ball first. Run, run, run. And Believe.
They can win this, just go hard with a nothing to lose attitude, win the game, then worry about the following week. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chaplin on Tippett is a nightmare waiting to happen I reckon. Wish Astbury was fit - would have towelled up that spud.

Who else do you line up on him..... Griff? man on man Tippett would have him. Will need a second player hovering around for support.
Agree, Astbury would be a vice on him.

OUT: Shaun Grigg, Ben Lennon, Nathan Gordan
IN : Tyrone Vickery, David Astbury, Dustin Martin

B: Steve Morris, David Astbury, Alex Rance
HB: Bachar Houli, Troy Chaplin, Jake Batchelor
C: Brandon Ellis, Trent Cotchin, Reece Conca
HF: Brett Deledio, Ben Griffiths, Dustin Martin
F: Tyrone Vickery, Jack Riewoldt, Ricky Petterd
Foll: Ivan Maric, Anthony Miles, Shane Edwards
Int: Nick Vlastuin, Chris Newman, Dylan Grimes
Sub: Nathan Foley

I appreciate Astbury may not be match fit ... I'd leave Gordan in, in that case.

Waaaaaaay too tall IMO. Rance, Chaplin, Astbury and Grimes in the back line, Riewoldt, Griffiths and Vickery up forward, AND Maric in the ruck. They'd slay us at ground level.

Here's something else I want to add. Slipping over nearly killed our season against Adelaide. If we aren't wearing the longest bloody stops on the market and have guys slipping over at crucial times I'll put the phone through the laptop!!

They might need them. Been raining all week here with possible showers predicted for the game. Oh, and NRL game the night before just to make things interesting and completely bollocks up the ground.

Waaaaaaay too tall IMO. Rance, Chaplin, Astbury and Grimes in the back line, Riewoldt, Griffiths and Vickery up forward, AND Maric in the ruck. They'd slay us at ground level.
The ball will come flying out of the forward line if we include Ty.
Defensive forward pressure has been a highlight for us recently. An extra tall just doesn't make sense.

No doubt Saturday is an extremely important game, to make the finals after being 3-10 would be huge, but I can't help feeling that round one 2015 will be even more important. That game will tell if all the lessons of this season have been learnt, I believe they have and, no matter what happens on Sat night, we will be a much improved team next season.
On Saturday nights game, I feel really good about it.

Seriously considering heading up. Where are some affordable places to stay in the area? Thanks.

Hi Cotch, sticky thread on our board titled Interstate supporters guide to Sydney' might provide some info you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back